Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Thinking about ex and the physical aspect of our relationship

TiredSquirrelTiredSquirrel Posts: 30 Boards Initiate
So it's been 6 months since we broke up and I've talked about it a bit on other threads on here. But I still have moments where I'll think about my ex. This has become less and not as intense and as long, but I do have particular moments where I'll think about the physical aspect of our relationship and that sometimes upsets me more.

I'll obviously not go into detail, but it hurts that we don't have it anymore. I don't cry as much about it as I used to which is good but sometimes it plays on my mind. And even I have visions and images in my head of her with this other guy who she had a thing with after we broke up (before she came back to me 3 months later and me being silly me agreed to talk again - she later changed her mind for good).

It's something I want to manage in my head but don't know how to. It has seemed to be less overtime but I can't control when I think about it.

Comments

• Tee ATee A Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    Hey @TiredSquirrel

Think I spoke to you in the other thread! I feel like I know what you mean! 

Its like random flashbacks for me! I tried to just keep busy. I know thats hard now though because of the lockdown. Maybe find a new hobby, then hopefully you are so busy doing something you love that you don't think about her

Ive also tried making a break up playlist, I know it sounds cheesey but it really helps  =):) I always feel empowered aftewards. It's okay to feel sad after a break up. It's normal to be sad after a break up! I think it'll really help the process. 

I hope this helps, even if only a little. 

Tee A :3
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @TiredSquirrel

Big hugs to you! :heart:

Breakups can often be this way - whilst it becomes 'easier' to cope with over time, you can still have moments where it's difficult and where the thoughts are back into your mind. That's normal, it can take time and it can totally feel like a rollercoaster. But just remember to be patient with yourself, be kind to yourself, and know that things really will be okay again :heart:

How do you usually distract yourself from these thoughts? :smile:
  • Jade09Jade09 Moderator Posts: 660 Incredible Poster
    edited June 2020
    Hello! @TiredSquirrel thank you for sharing with us here on The Mix! 

It's totally normal to still have moments where you will be thinking about your ex. It sounds like you have made some progress in trying to manage how you are feeling about this, as you mentioned you don't get upset about it as much, which is really good.  <3

It can take time for these types of losses to "heal" in a sense, having images and visions in your head about her with the other guy don't sound like nice experiences but you have taken a really good step in sharing here and wanting to manage how you are feeling.  :)

As @coc0mac said patience and kindness to yourself can be really helpful, is there anything you have been doing that you enjoy that could distract you from how you are feeling? 

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey! I agree with what others have said! Break up are reallyyy painful and you're doing well to notice with time it gets a bit better. It can help to focus on you and your life atm and not hers. Easier said than done. Also when you get those images remind yourself it is okay to have them. And let them come and go. Try not to give too much attention to them as can make them worse. 
    Hope that was helpful. Take care !
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley