Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hasan Minhaj on racism within the Asian community

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,305 Part of The Furniture
edited June 2023 in Politics & Debate
I'm a bit of a sucker for American satire shows, and one of my favourites is The Patriot Act hosted by Hasan Minhaj (former correspondent of The Daily Show). They recently released a YouTube exclusive, talking about the case of George Floyd and the importance of not staying silent. The reason I'm sharing it though is because the video also explored something I didn't expect - racism within the Asian community.

It was very eye-opening for me. I often forget that division within minority communities is actually quite common, such as bi-erasure and ace-denial within the LGBTQAI+ community. One of those things that reminds me nobody is completely free of the harmful views society can teach us, and that we all need to make an effort to check ourselves.

Curious about what y'all think, and if you have any experience to share around this. :)

All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I haven't watched this but i'm very excited to later! :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld