Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being forced to eat

HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
My family are forcing me to eat. It is making everything worse and I don't know what to do, and I can't talk about it. 

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

I'm so sorry your family are forcing you to eat and that it's making things worse. I've read a few of your threads on the boards and it sounds like your eating's really taken over your life and is making you miserable. I think I remember you saying you can't talk about it because you're scared they will make you change - is that still the case, or is there another reason?

Do you think you could try to talk to them about how them forcing you to eat is making you feel? I wondered if you'd feel comfortable enough and whether you think that could help <3
  • HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
    I tried to talk to them about other things recently and they just told me that it's not real and in my head. When I've spoke to them in the past they were understanding but they're not anymore. I just don't know how they'll react each time and that makes it harder to talk to them even if they pressure me to do so and I don't want them to worry about me either as it just makes life harder for everyone and I feel like I'm then an inconvenience too. 
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey there @HowDoYouTalkAboutIt I'm sorry to hear you're struggling so much at the moment, being supported by those around you is an important part of working through any kind of issue so it's understandable that your parents treating you this way is upsetting you. I will say you're definitely not an inconvenience to anyone here on the boards so you can always feel free to talk about your problems here. :)

You mentioned that your parents aren't as understanding about your problems as they used to be, have you tried getting your GP or another medical professional to speak to them on your behalf to reinforce what you're telling them?

There's also a lot of information about eating disorders online such as this article here on The Mix https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/eating-disorders/eating-disorders-explained-5879.html or on Beat's website https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/ that might help you get your point across. I hope this info helps and please let me know if you need any other links!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,493 Skive's The Limit
    Heyy!  How are you doing now and things with your family? I know how it can feel with your family making you eat. When i was struggling badly with anoxeria they watched i didnt hide it and that i swallowed it. And would say its either that or the hospital forcing you. And which is true and is horrible expereice aswell. Youre not an inconvience. They do it because they love you and cause youre worth it and dont want you to just not eat. 

Would you like to explain a bit more about why you don't want to eat? It can be really hard for others to understand who haven't gone through it. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
    @Shaunie Things are a bit better at the moment I think the tension of isolation made things worst to begin with, they're nåt as pushy now but they still keep on at me but I'm coping better. 

And it's not i don't want to eat, I feel that if I do eat I lose control and with everything else changing at the moment it seems worst. I feel by eating I'm going to make everything worst and I feel like I'm not good enough, that I don't deserve food. There's this constant voice saying don't eat everything will be better and the more I try to act against it the louder it gets and the worst I feel, the thought of eating just causes anxiety let alone actually eating but things will get better, it just takes time and work and hopefully I will get there. 
  • Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Sending hugs @HowDoYouTalkAboutIt

I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling this way <3

I'm wondering if writing a letter to your family about how you're feeling is something you feel you could do? So you don't have to deal with the confrontation of talking to your family about it and you can tell them as much as you want to tell them. I know it's a little bit of a wishy washy suggestion but sometimes you can get how you feel better written down rather than talking I think.

Mind have some info that you might find useful: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/eating-problems/about-eating-problems/
    There's a section on there for family and friends which you could show them if you think the suggestions are useful?