Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A reason to live.

HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
I need a place to speak so I wrote on here. 

My mind doesn't seem to settle anymore. Everymoment it will change and is never set in stone. I will feel fine one minute and the next I'm in a hole trying to get out with no hope of reaching the top. I need a reason to live. My purpose its always seemed was to help others but that doesn't happen anymore. I then wanted to join the army and still do and I've shut so many doors with my mind set in path as that was what I was going to do but now that doesnt seem possible with my mental health, I don't think they'll let me in anymore. 

So now what? What can I strive for? What do I have to push me on? I'm not at the point of suicidal and I don't want people to think that or feel pity on me I just need to a place to voice out. I just don't know what to do

Comments

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    edited March 2020
    heey!
    first of all, have you spoken to your GP about how youre feeling? you say you're not at the point of suicidal which is good, but it's important to get help or you ay reach that point..mental health is a slippery slope and its hard to get out of when it's got its grips on you, but it is possible, you won't always feel this way <3 
    your purpose you feel was helping others, which is good, but you need to look after yourself first, you can't support or help others if you're not looking after yourself.
    my dream was to be in the army too, before mental health got in the way, now I know that's not possible, but there are plenty of other dreams out there, it's just about finding the right one.
    there's loads of reasons to stay alive here https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/comment/3627216#Comment_3627216 not everyones reasons arent the same, but maybe something there could trigger a reason for you?

i also shared this on fb last night and thought it was pretty fitting to put here <3

' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    You could help others by taking care of yourself. Is there anything that you wanted to try? Anything you could work towards, how silly it may be

Maybe there are some volunteering programs in your area that can give you the opportunity to help others
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @HowDoYouTalkAboutIt :heart:

Well done for sharing your feelings with us here. It can feel really confusing when your mind keeps on changing, but often writing and sharing these thoughts can make it easier to cope with :smile:

I just wanted to echo what the others have said, as I think they shared some really great advice. I also wanted to add that it's okay to not know what you want, it's okay to not have things figured out. You're doing great :heart:

I think @ThePigeons idea of volunteering is a good one. This can be a good way of trying a few different things until you find what you love, without the pressures/commitments of a fixed career. And, by volunteering your time you are helping others, which is what you said you like to do :smile: How would you feel about this?

Take good care and do keep us updated! 
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    I think you've touched on something that so many younger people feel these days - what is my purpose? What's the point of all this? - and it's really important to know! It's a personal choice in the end of the day - fundamentally, we are all part of a society, so I think a good place to start is to see where we can contribute and make the world a better place. Think about what you can offer - for some, they are trained in a particular skill that they can use to do so. For others, simply having the time and will to help is more than enough to help others. Find what works for you, and give yourself that purpose in life to strive for! :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.