Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

subject choices

christinaj123christinaj123 Posts: 32 Boards Initiate
im in S2 going into S3 and i need to pick my subjects but because the teachers in my school literally dont know how to do anything they've messed it up and changed it from what its always been. column 1 is social subjects - modern studies, geography, history and scottish studies. column 2 is science - biology, physics and chemistry. column 3 is technologies - practical woodwork, design and manufacture, administration and it, business management, hospitality and health and food technology. column 4 is creative arts - music, drama and art. we need to pick 1 subject from each column and then theres another column which is literally every subject my school has and we need to pick 4 of them. my big sister takes art and history, the subjects im going to take from column 1 and 4, shes up all night writing essays for history and doing stuff for art which is putting me off taking art but i need to take it because music and drama are 2 of the subjects i said i wasnt going to take. for column 2 i dont know what to take because i dont like any sciences and for column 3 i think im taking hospitality. i have no clue what to take for my last 4 subjects though, i think im taking geography but the rest i dont know. 

Comments

• Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited February 2020
    Hey!

Picking subjects is a really tricky choice, when I did it, I seeked support from my tutor who was able to have a discussion with me about it.
    It's worth looking at the content of each subject and see if it's something you are interested in.
    Is there anyone at school you can seek a conversation with about your options? Maybe ask your sister how she decided on what to pick?

I did geography through GCSEs and absolutely loved it!

(Also completely irrelevant but I love your profile picture. It's extremely cute)
  • Options
    hey @GreenTea

i have a meeting with my pastoral care teacher and my mum on the 18th to go through it all and finalise my choices. my big sister moved schools at the start of S3 so she didnt really get a choice she just got put into whatever classes had space which i think is stupid but our school is so. for S4 and 5 she stuck with most of them because she liked them.
    when we done geography i really liked it, but our teacher told us she doesnt think everyone who picks it is going to get to take it because shes the only geography teacher and lots of people have said they might take it. 

(thanks, its my nephews dog and i absolutley love him)
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Is there any other subjects you have a slight interest in that you can look at what the topics in the subject are?
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    I found when it came to picking subjects that you need to find a subject where the teacher is good, the subject is interesting and you think you can do well at it. All subjects will have lots of work though, but it depends on what kind of work you prefer - making things, writing essays, using IT etc. Find what's important for you, and go from there. Excel spreadsheet is a nice visual way to find out what you like and don't!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @christinaj123

Just wanted to pop on and echo what the others have said, as I think they have offered some really great advice. I would also say, it's good to hear you have a meeting with your pastoral care teacher and your mum arranged, and I am just wondering if you could perhaps ask them for their opinion? Or any other teachers. These teachers may be able to advice you based on what they think you flourish at- and although the final decision is of course yours, it's sometimes nice to hear other people's perspectives :smile:

It would be good to hear how you get on! x
  • Options
    @Azziman

my school is really small there is less than 500 pupils so there is like only 1 or 2 teachers for each subject so if i like the teacher its usually a subject i dont like and if i dont like the teacher its usually a subject i like. i think some classes i would do alright in but might not do aswell as i could do because i dont get along with the teachers.
  • Options
    @coc0mac

i have my parents night next week so the teachers will be telling us stuff like what they think we're good at and if they think we'd do well in the subject if we took it especially since we are picking our subjects just now