Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

mirtazapine

GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Hello all, 
So as you know I started sertraline some weeks ago, due to a suicide attempt at new year, the doctor's made the decision to take me off it and put me on mirtazapine. So far I'm doing ok on it, I wondered if anyone has been on it before or had experience with it? I'm worried about side effects and just wanted to hear others experiences. It helps me come to terms with the medication and I feel less alone when I can talk to others about their experiences.

Comments

• Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    I don't have any personal experience with mirtazapine but wanted to drop by anyway. I'm glad you're doing okay on it so far and I'm really sorry to hear about your suicide attempt :( Do you want to talk about how things are now?
  • Options
    I'm doing ok, that time of year is really hard for me, so it's been a struggle and I haven't had support so it's been hard. 
  • Options
    StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,084 Wise Owl
    Hey @GreenTea

Just wanted to pop on to say it's really positive that your feeling okay so far on the new medication, :heart:

With medication it could sometimes feel like trial and error, so its good that you have found medication that is helping you. :smile:

We're here for you :heart:
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    I am really finding this medication helpful but the weight gain is stressing my out. There's a massive fear about weight gain to the point im really restricting again and other behaviours. Even brought weight loss shakes yesterday :/
  • Options
    I'm starting to really struggle. Last night the idea of overdosing came into my head and just got louder and louder. I didn't follow through with the idea, but it's scary how quickly suicide ideas pop into my thoughts
  • Options
    Jade09Jade09 Moderator Posts: 660 Incredible Poster
    Hey @GreenTea

Its positive that you are finding the medication helpful, however it sounds like you are struggling with the weight gain, its understandably worrying you as you mentioned you have started to restrict again and use other behaviours. <3

It may be worth talking to your GP about this, as they may be able to talk through other options or put some extra support in place for you, specifically for your worries around gaining weight. How would you feel about doing this?

It sounds like you are finding things pretty difficult at the moment, but we are here for you. Suicidal thoughts can be really tough to cope with, so i'm going to pop some crisis resources in the spoiler below. They may be of use if you feel you are unable to keep yourself safe, or feel you are going to act on your thoughts.

Crisis Messenger are contactable by text, 24/7. You can text 'THEMIX' to 85258 and talk to them about anything. 

Samaritans are available 24/7 to talk about anything that you are worried about in confidence. You can call them on 116 123. They also have some online services here. 

Papyrus have a helpline that is open 9am – 10pm weekdays and 2pm – 10pm on weekends. You can call them on 0800 068 4141. 

- If you have any concerns for your health or safety, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E.  

You are doing really well to open up here so well done, let us know how things are <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    I think my anti biotics interfered with this meds
  • Options
    Hey @GreenTea

How are you feeling today?  <3

You mentioned thinking that your antibiotics have interfered with your medication, what are the reasons behind this?  If its the case though it may be worth going to your GP?  :)
  • Options
    Stopped taking this because of weight gain.

Today Ive been in such a depressive episode and completely broke down when I went out
  • Options
    Just want a medication that works
  • Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey @GreenTea I can understand how frustrating it is trying to find a medication that works best for you, I went through a similar thing myself a few years ago. What I've found is that everyone is so different from each other there's really no way to know which medication is going to work and unfortunately you just have to try different ones until you get it right.

Do you mind if I ask did you speak with your doctor before you stopped taking your current medication? It can be very dangerous to suddenly stop taking medication especially if you've been on it for more than a few weeks so I just wanted to check. In any case I really hope you find a medication that works for you soon. <3
  • Options
    I didn't tell anyone I stopped them
  • Options
    To be honest @GreenTea that might explain why you've struggled so much recently, as I said suddenly coming off of medication can have some nasty effects. You might want to consider speaking to your GP about what's best to do from here on out, even if you still want to come off this medication they can help you be safer about it.
  • Options
    The medication was only intended to help my sleep. Never my mood.
  • Options
    I believe Mirtazapine is an anti-depressant though and as such it can effect your mood even if you're not taking it for that, especially if you stop taking it suddenly. I'm sorry I didn't mean to make things more confusing.
  • Options
    No idea what to do at the moment, I saw a doctor with a "mental illness isn't real" attitude and told me medication and counseling is a waste of time and refused to up my meds or refer me to services. 
    Leading me into an episode of self harm after that appointment. 

Am I not worthy of support?
  • Options
    Can someone please just listen
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @GreenTea, of course you are worthy of support 💜 really sorry to hear about your experience with that doctor, really awful attitude for them to have. 

We’re all here for you and happy to just listen if that is what you want here? 
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    Hey there @GreenTea, As @Lucy307 said you are definately worthy of support and we are here to listen to you whenever you feel you need to  <3