Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weekly challenges. We need your ideas/thoughts?

StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey folks,

So here at The Mix we have been thinking about the weekly challenges, we've noticed that they haven't been getting much involvement, people are voting for them each week but are not always taking part in them.

We wanted to get your thoughts and ideas about the weekly challenges.

So let us know your thoughts and ideas. If you get a bit stuck these are some good things to think about:

How often you would like the challenges? (e,g stick to weekly, or fortnightly or even monthly)

What kind of challenges you would like to see and take part in?

If you don't participate in the weekly challenges, why is that?

What would make you want to join in with the weekly challenges?

We're really looking forward to getting your thoughts and ideas on this :star:

Take good care everyone :heart: 

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email [email protected] with questions or concerns.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,454 Skive's The Limit
    Heyyy

what would make me take part more is if other people replied more. Cause i have FOMO. Lol. 

Also some of the challenges over lap another thread so i sometimes do not see the point in that but sometimes do
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    edited February 2020
    Shaunie said:
    Heyyy

what would make me take part more is if other people replied more. Cause i have FOMO. Lol. 

Also some of the challenges over lap another thread so i sometimes do not see the point in that but sometimes do
    Hey Shaunie, 

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully we get more feedback from others too, and then we can hopefully get weekly challenges back up and running so that others involve too. Very valid feedback about the challenges over lapping with other threads, Something we should be able to look into. :heart:

Thanks again :star:

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email [email protected] with questions or concerns.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I like the weekly challenges, I try to take part but like shaunie it would encourage me more if others did aswell 😂 what would be great is maybe having some on repeat? Like self care ones. I find the self care month thread a bit overwhelming cause does anyone actually have time for that 😂 but say having one week a month dedicated to self care would make it more manageable and I think more people would take part.

I also find some of the challenges a bit much, like drawing ones, I love drawing but do it more for fun than a weekly challenge where I have to draw something each day, I'm a perfectionist so it takes me a few days for one drawing 😂

Don't know what I'm getting at here, basically some of the challenges are too complicated if that's the word? Like i struggle to get out of bed most days so doing something that takes time is so daunting. I think finding a combination of motivation and fun challenges would be more beneficial and more people might take part, could also help people. Such as doing a simple housework challenge, or kindness challenge. Just challenges that make us feel good about ourselves, or proud of something, instead of going to bed with the thought of another day being wasted, I think the challenges should push us out our comfort zone, but just a wee bit so it's not too overwhelming, but something to be proud of, I don't know if it's possible to do challenges like that but would be good 😊
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The monthly self care threads are there as a positive thing and a reminder that self care matters. Those threads won't ever change!

Challenges should be every other week. Giving 2 weeks for people to have time to join in. That's one of my issue personally as I work 3 jobs, finding time to join in can sometimes be difficult but by the time I found myself able to join in, the next one had been posted. 
    I think small weekly photo challenges, drawing challenges, positive quotes challenges and games as challenges would be fun...so like a challenge of creating a story as a community.. everyone writes one sentence at a time to create the story and it basically doesn't end to the next challenge. 

I think a lot of people don't join in because they sit and wait for someone else to post first. Maybe they are too uncomfortable to get involved unless someone else gets the ball rolling first?
    I like the weekly challenges, I try to take part but like shaunie it would encourage me more if others did aswell 😂 what would be great is maybe having some on repeat? Like self care ones. I find the self care month thread a bit overwhelming cause does anyone actually have time for that 😂 but say having one week a month dedicated to self care would make it more manageable and I think more people would take part.

I also find some of the challenges a bit much, like drawing ones, I love drawing but do it more for fun than a weekly challenge where I have to draw something each day, I'm a perfectionist so it takes me a few days for one drawing 😂

Don't know what I'm getting at here, basically some of the challenges are too complicated if that's the word? Like i struggle to get out of bed most days so doing something that takes time is so daunting. I think finding a combination of motivation and fun challenges would be more beneficial and more people might take part, could also help people. Such as doing a simple housework challenge, or kindness challenge. Just challenges that make us feel good about ourselves, or proud of something, instead of going to bed with the thought of another day being wasted, I think the challenges should push us out our comfort zone, but just a wee bit so it's not too overwhelming, but something to be proud of, I don't know if it's possible to do challenges like that but would be good 😊
    Thank you Bubbles for your feedback. :heart:

Very valid feedback and something that we can definitely look into. :smile:  

GreenTea said:
    The monthly self care threads are there as a positive thing and a reminder that self care matters. Those threads won't ever change!

Challenges should be every other week. Giving 2 weeks for people to have time to join in. That's one of my issue personally as I work 3 jobs, finding time to join in can sometimes be difficult but by the time I found myself able to join in, the next one had been posted. 
    I think small weekly photo challenges, drawing challenges, positive quotes challenges and games as challenges would be fun...so like a challenge of creating a story as a community.. everyone writes one sentence at a time to create the story and it basically doesn't end to the next challenge. 

I think a lot of people don't join in because they sit and wait for someone else to post first. Maybe they are too uncomfortable to get involved unless someone else gets the ball rolling first?
    Hey GreenTea 

Thanks for your feedback, we hear what you are saying about every 2 weeks instead of every week, this could work, especially for individuals who may not have enough time in the week. 

Would it help if maybe myself or somebody else on the modding team were to comment first on the thread to kick start the ball rolling? 

Maybe if more mods and the actual people who work at the mix that work the boards got involved..like Mike and ed.. I'm sure more people will get on board if they saw more than just community members
    GreenTea said:
    Maybe if more mods and the actual people who work at the mix that work the boards got involved..like Mike and ed.. I'm sure more people will get on board if they saw more than just community members
    Thank you for this feedback. :smile:

Hey folks, 

So we have an update on some things that we are going to try and do going forward with regards to the weekly challenges :smile:

So to summarise the feedback that we have had so far

- The weekly challenges moving to fortnightly instead of weekly

- Other moderators and staff to get involved in the challenges

- The challenges to be more beneficial, also make them simpler and easier to participate in 

So going forward: 

We can start the weekly challenges fortnightly, as we feel this may give people enough time to take part in the challenges without the pressure of just having a week to complete the challenges. :heart:

With regards to getting other moderators involved and staff involved, we can let the other discussion board moderators about the weekly challenges. The staff are busy but I'm sure that if they can get involved they will :smile:

The challenges to be more beneficial, and simpler/easier to participate in, this goes back to you lovely folks, if you could post ideas on this thread  we use this thread to get the ideas for the weekly challenges that you would like. :star:

Thank you so much lovely people :heart:

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,454 Skive's The Limit
    Stephanie said:
    Very valid feedback about the challenges over lapping with other threads, Something we should be able to look into.

I guess could still over lap but in a different way. Like some challenges i would see "name something youre grateful of today". Which i think overlaps a thread. And instead you could make it into a challenge by saying lets name everything were grateful of from a-z. If makes sense. OrSomething like that.  Idk of thats been done probablyAh but just suggestion

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Hey @Shaunie

Sorry I missed that in my previous reply. I've taken a note of this, and it is something we can look at :heart:

Thank you :star:

Just thought of a brilliant idea!!!
    An edit challenge!
    So each day of the week a photo gets uploaded, say of a beach, or rainforest, desert etc and users have to draw in, add things and edit the photo and share them. I think to would be a real laugh to do!
    Can just imagine lots of images of sharks copied into a beach picture!
    Ah this is a cool idea @GreenTea

just wondering how would people edit it tho? 

On a laptop, can save the picture and edit it with paint or an online editing website, there's some free ones..
    Same on phones, there's some free apps that lets you add things to pictures.
    Maybe it's a bit to complicated