Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Different types of caring roles

MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster

Hey all,

As you may have noticed, The Mix are currently doing a project with Carers UK to increase awareness of Young Carers and Young Adult Carers. So you'll be seeing more discussions about Young Carers around the boards!

A Young Carer (often below age 18) and Young Adult Carers (18-25) is a person that provides care for another person. The person in need of care may be a parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle, but may also include siblings, nieces and nephews. It could even be a friend!

There are many different types of caring roles that a Young Carer may take on and sometimes they may take on different types of care at different times. For example, my mum was my dad’s main carer, but I would provide emotional care for my mum when she was upset about my dad’s illness. And sometimes I would provide practical care such as taking my brothers to school when my parents couldn’t.

For more information on what it means to be a Young Carer and the types of caring roles,  you can check out our article here: https://www.themix.org.uk/news-and-research/blogs/what-is-a-young-adult-carer

What types of caring roles do you know about?

If you, or anyone you know, is a Young Carer or Young Adult Carer, and you feel comfortable, feel free to share your story of caring roles with us <3

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Comments

• Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,309 Part of The Furniture
    Personally I don't have anything to offer here, but I'm interested in the stories y'all have :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    For me 4 years ago when I started caring was when we moved house , I took on some of my brothers Emotional care to help ease the load on mum , was heartbreaking to see mum so stressed but over the next few years lots of things came to light about my mum which severely affected her mental health and as a result I took on ALOT more of my brothers emotional care but also emotional care for my mum as well as carrying out some physical tasks such as the cooking cleaning doing the prescriptions runs etc . 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.