Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Happy Black History Month!

HollyPearlHollyPearl Moderator, Staff Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
Hi everyone :)

We're celebrating Black History Month! We'd love to know what you think about the following questions:

- Which moments in Black history have inspired or influenced you?
- What has been your experience of being a young Black person in the UK?
- Why do you think we need to celebrate Black History Month?

If you're happy for us to share your answers on social media, please write "share" after your response. 

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Holly at The Mix

Comments

• DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    Does it matter that I am white? 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    1) How so much change (positive but also negative) has been made over the years. It inspires me to learn more about different cultures because it shows that it is okay to learn about different cultures and to be different. 

2) I am actually white so this question is not relevant to me. However, I sometimes do notice or hear about racism going on which is unfair just because black people have different coloured skin.

3) Because we need to show other people that it is not just white people who have invented amazing things or changed the world.

Share (but anonymously please.)
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I don't think we need to celebrate black history month. I'm pretty sure if I was black I would find it rather insulting to relegate black history to a single month. Black history is just history.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    edited October 2019

@Skive There's a huge problem with the coverage and how not enough black history is taught, especially in the educational systems. That being said, I find it insulting and minimalising  that you refer to black history as "just" history. Some horific things happened, things that us as black peopple still reap the repercusions of.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit

@Skive There's a huge problem with the coverage and how not enough black history is taught, especially in the educational systems. That being said, I find it insulting and minimalising  that you refer to black history as "just" history. Some horific things happened, things that us as black peopple still reap the repercusions of.

Do you really think the best way to increase the amount of 'black history' taught in schools is to relegate it to 1 token month of the year? 
    Black history is an integral part of UK history, American history, and world history. It should be observed throughout the year.

Weekender Offender 
    edited October 2019
    Skive said:

Do you really think the best way to increase the amount of 'black history' taught in schools is to relegate it to 1 token month of the year? 
    Black history is an integral part of UK history, American history, and world history. It should be observed throughout the year.

Absolutely not but untill the educational system and so on continue to teach whitewashed history, yes.

So in short, we both agree that black history should be taught all year round (it wasn't clear in my initial comment ). 
    @Aidan I agree and there are so so many good things aside from slavery that are 
     to do with black history. Did you you know the creator of the traffic light system was a black person? I didn't and it wasn't till my dad told me that I thought "that's really interesting".

I want to look at black history and feel inspired at all the amazing things that happened. I what the young, old boys girls to feel that they too can aspire to something great because they've seen someone like themselves do it too