Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Binge-eating

knownaslonerknownasloner Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
edited August 2019 in Health & Wellbeing
[TRIGGER WARNING]

Recently, I’ve been getting urges to binge-eat again. I had the same issue several months ago which soon led me to starving myself because I had gained weight.

I was so proud of myself when I managed to start eating again but now I’m back to wanting to over-eat. Im trying really hard to resist the urges but it’s becoming more difficult every day. I’m not sure what’s causing this because I get these urges even when I’m not feeling particularly anxious or stressed. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2019
    Heyy,

its really frustating when this happens! i know from experience that thinking about food constantly and your weight can cause binge eating. So the worst thing you could do is restrict your intake as thinking more about food  & trying to avoid it Can lead to more binges. (Wish i could take my own advice lol ) Have you been thinking a lot about your weight and food?  

It also doesnt have to just be at the time you feel stressed so want to binge eat- it can be a build up. And you may not always realise even if was stressed. So it can be good to put your focus on something that relaxes you.

But also the more you fear binge eating the more you may binge eat. So may not always help fight the thoughts or ignore them. But to be mindful of your thoughts. Just accept that you're feeling the urge instead of trying to ignore it and remember urges can go up and down like emotions can. Here a link I use for urges. Called riding the wave : using mindfulness to help cope with urges https://portlandpsychotherapyclinic.com/2011/11/riding-wave-using-mindfulness-help-cope-urges/

also it helps to speak to people when feel like binge eating as sometimes lonlieness and feeling empty physically can make us want to eat everything to feel a sense of being full

so we are always here to listen whatever the cause and I'm sorry if none of that was helpful / relevant to you. <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • knownaslonerknownasloner Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Shaunie

Thank you, your words were all really helpful  <3

Not so much food, but I have been thinking about my weight a lot and stressing about gaining weight, even more so when I give in to the urges. I feel depressed afterwards and angry at myself.

It’s helpful to know that wanting to binge-eat won’t only happen when I’m stressed because that’s what I thought was causing it. I didn’t consider that maybe these urges were building up. 

I’ve been trying to focus on something else whenever I notice the feeling returning and I try to move away from where food is until the urge passes. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work because I feel hungry even though I’m not and it doesn’t go away until I eat something [often it’s unhealthy].

I agree about the more you fear binge-eating, the more likely you will binge-eat. But if I don’t ignore the thoughts, I might be more likely to give in.

When I was binge-eating before, I went to my parents about it and they told me to eat something healthy instead but I try that and it doesn’t satisfy the “need”. Now I’m concerned if I tell them it’s happening again, they’ll, for one, be angry I’ve snuck food and secondly tell me to do the same thing as last time.

I have been feeling very alone and isolated recently so it could be contributing to wanting to binge-eat. 
  • AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey, 

I thought I would pass you over a link to a site which support people of all ages with eating disorders and difficulties - https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk. Its runs group chats every night from 5:30pm to 7pm in a room called nest via the link

You've done really well to reach out. 
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
    @Abigail

Thank you so much, that’s really helpful <3
    Sometimes eating healthy will not help the binge but not restricting unhealthy food when you're not craving a binge can help. If that makes sense?  Like you don't have to always eat healthy and saying things like " I'm not eating chocolate" May make you want to binge on it. I dunno If you do that but don't have to eat healthy all the time obvs. And it's okay if you start eating unhealthy food - can reframe and think of you actually do need to eat all of it or will it make you feel worse and what could you do instead 

sometimes when we feel hungry it can be cause you're actually thirsty. 

How do you feel about trying mindfullness?
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    @Shaunie

That makes sense. I can see how creating unrealistic goals to not eat something wouldn’t help, I’ll try avoid doing that.

Does eating healthy food help you? If so, what foods do you eat instead of the unhealthy ones?

I don’t drink enough [i have between two to three drinks a day and some days not even that] so that’s probably not helping.  :'(

I haven’t really ever considered mindfulness to help with my binge eating but I guess I would be open to trying. It hasn’t helped with other issues before [eg anxiety] but maybe it would be different with this.
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi I’m similar to you I tend to over eat when I’m upset, stressed or in particular on my period. I did this all so out of upset on not knowing how I could loose weight because I was so picky which of course didn’t help. 

I went to see a nurse at my doctors and she was fantastic in helping me make small changes and motivating me.

I would suggest trying to distract yourself when you feel the urge to binge eat maybe go for a walk, read a book, watch a movie anything that might take your mind off eating 
    edited August 2019
    Hey @One-in-a-million

I’m so glad you managed to get some advice from a nurse and she was able to help! It would probably be a good idea I did, too, but I struggle to talk to people face-to-face about personal issues.

I’ll keep trying to distract myself but like I said to @Shaunie sometimes the urges don’t go away until I eat something.

Thank you for your advice!  <3

Heyy,

Sorry thought I sent this ah

Does eating healthy food help you? If so, what foods do you eat instead of the unhealthy ones?

I think by healthy just means like balanced. Like have all three meals. Espically breakfast because apperntly that's the best time to eat for binge eating urges as that helps throughout the day. And maybe eating snacks throughout the day - snacks don't have to always be healthy. But yeah I say all this but I'm restricting my food a lot right now & relapsing in to anorexia so I wish i could take on all this advice I'm giving lol & I'm not sure what healthy food are right now ah sorry.  It does usually help me when I can think rationally but right now I can't for myself ah

Also if you do get stuck feeling like you just want to binge eat on everything.  I know it can feel like 'oh just gunna shove all this down my throat as quickly as I can" but it can take about 20 mins to register you're full. So not only being mindful to avoid the urge - it can be useful to be mindful while you're eating. But in a different way - Thinking about all the smell, all the tastes, and all the textures you can feel as you eat it. You get to enjoy the food that bit more and it slows every thing down giving your brain time to register you're getting full. 

Stay hydrated 👍🏻

edited August 2019
    @Shaunie

I skipped breakfast today because I ate more than I should have yesterday, so I guess that was a mistake  :'( I’ll keep that in my mind for next time.

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re relapsing back into anorexia, I know how difficult that is. But remember you’re stronger than your eating disorder and you CAN beat this. I know how easy it is to get into a pattern of believing that things will never improve but don’t lose hope that it will get better. And when you’re having a better day, try not to stress about when the urges not to eat will return, try to focus on what’s happening in that moment. Take it day by day. Wishing you all the best for the future, keep fighting!  <3

Like you, I also don’t take my own advice so you’re not alone on that.

Thank you, I will try to do the things you suggested  :)
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Hello knownasloner !

I hear that you have been getting urges to binge eat again, it sounds like this has been and issue before and it is understandable to hear how tough this is feeling to deal with. Is there anything that has helped in the past to help to manage these urges?  <3

It is a really positive thing that you have started eating normally again, it shows you are strong and willing to get yourself back on track.

You said that you aren't sure what is triggering the urges, do you think it might be helpful to write down the emotions and feelings you feel when the urges appear to try and identify any patterns as to why this is happening?  :)

You aren't alone in this and you are doing amazingly!

Butterfly x
    @Butterfly23

Thank you! 

I’m not quite back to eating normally. I’ve been binge-eating less, and when I have I’ve managed smaller amounts. But I’m now slipping back into not wanting to eat again and I’ve been skipping meals recently. It’s weird but I fluctuate between eating loads and eating nothing; it switches every month or so.

I’ve always struggled with my weight and though people tell me I’m slim, I don’t see that when I look in the mirror. I know it’s because I have low self-esteem and I hate that I can’t break this cycle. I’m constantly feeling sick. I don’t know if that’s partly to do with my diet but I hate it. 

Maybe I’ll take a note of my emotions and feelings when I get the urges. I often try to think about it at the time by asking myself if I’m anxious about something. Sometimes I am but sometimes I’m not feeling particularly anything. I don’t believe there are any patterns, it comes at any time of day and any day of the week.
    You sound really self aware which is good !<3 it's really difficult to see other perceptions and to eat healthily. How are you doing now?