Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

National Writing Day 2019

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
Hey everyone,

Today at school in my English lesson we had a very different starter. It is usually related to Macbeth which is what we are currently studying. However today we saw the 7 minute writing challenge. We had 7 minutes to do a piece of writing about whatever came into our minds. When we asked why we had to do this, the teacher showed us the next slide of the PowerPoint which told us about National Writing Day. This day is held on 26th June every year and is about getting people to do creative writing and write care free. I have decided to share my work with everyone and I have made an effort to keep it anonymous and safe. You will probably all be surprised at how neat my handwriting is because it is usually very messy or large. But today it was neat and a bit smaller than usual. 

Here it is. I did a photo and I typed it up in case anyone still cannot read my handwriting.  ;)   :p
Please excuse the mess on my desk. That has never changed and probably won't. That is nothing compared to what it is usually like- especially with my maths notebook. It doesn't even look like a book anymore because it is partially ripped and there is so much paper stuffed inside of it.

In this place I enjoy the peacefulness and beauty of Skopelos. I love how large yet quiet this Greek island is. It was once said to be on the side of Aphrodite's fountain and if you were to drink the water you would find true love and perfect happiness. Skopelos is quite far yet fairly local to the Greek mainland. It is just a 1 hour boat ride from the port. A memory that I have of this place is discovering that Meryl Streep and Julie Walters starred in Mamma Mia which was filmed in Skopelos as well as 2 other Greek islands. Some younger characters such as Amanda Seyfried also travelled to this beautiful paradise to star in the best film ever. If Skopelos was Siri, it would constantly play ABBA music as well as calm, peaceful sounds such as the sparkling, warm, tranquil sea.
I challenge everyone to do some creative writing for just 7 minutes today. It doesn't matter what it is about or whether it is 1 line or 20. It can be any length of any topic. Just put it into a spoiler if it could potentially be triggering at all. And stick to the guidelines of the discussion boards. 
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Comments

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hey @Kasa2103

This is a great writing challenge idea! I really enjoyed reading what you wrote. I love Mamma Mia too and would love to visit where they filmed it one day :) 
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    Aife said:
    Hey @Kasa2103

This is a great writing challenge idea! I really enjoyed reading what you wrote. I love Mamma Mia too and would love to visit where they filmed it one day :) 
    Thanks so much. At least I am not the only Mamma Mia fan on the boards. I am sure that you don't watch it every night though like I do. ;) I am not surprised that you want to visit where they filmed it. It wouldn't be such a good idea if you get seasick though.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @Kasa2103

I absolutely loved reading this - you are a really talented writer! I adore Mamma Mia so great choice of topic haha!

You did really well, and your handwriting is great too! Thank you so much for sharing this it was great to read :smile::heart: