Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mental health services and referrals

Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
Hello everyone!!

Its been so long since I’ve been on here, but I’ve decided to come back. I’ve recently sought help for my MH, went through IAPT and yesterday they referred me to CMHT. I’m just wondering if any of you have had experience with your CMHT, how long did the referral take?, what was the assessment like?, any information would be appreciated + honest experiencing welcome x 😊 

Thank youuuuu 

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited May 2019
    Hey,  welcome back. Great you're seeking help! I actually sat in an CMHT assessment on Friday in my work experience.  And have been in them for myself. They're just finding out your symptoms, what support you have now and if they can help you with any extra support if needed. They find out how you cope and if you have people around you family etc. And what your needs and just basically everything. The assessment I went to on Friday lasted about over an hour then I sat in the 4pm meeting where they discuss the referrals of the day to get views on if the service user fits theirservice. So it's not always the case - just cause you get an assessment you are under the service. - Unfortunately. I've sat in three of those 4pm meetings and not all of them have been accepted due to the high criteria and basically them not being unsafe enough which is really sad tbh. So my advice is be as honest as you can and they will try to help as best as can. And I think how long things take depend on where you live. In the meetings I was in meant that after their assessment and accepted they was seen within 5 working days which I think is okay. But I think everywhere works differently here's link may find helpful. https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/mental-health-services/mental-health-assessments/
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    @Shaunie thank you that was really helpful, it’s just one of them situations where IAPT can’t support me cause I’m too “ill” but the CMHT may not be able to either cause I’m not “ill” enough, I don’t have any support currently cause where I live for adults there’s only IAPT and private counselling which is bad tbh I just hope I don’t slip though the system x
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster

Just wanted to pop in to say it's really good that you've sought help :) I haven't had experience with CMHT, but what Shaunie said looks like good info. And welcome back.

Kathleen <3
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Thank you @kathleen0172