Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Confusion

VilJaVilJa Posts: 28 Boards Initiate
Hello everyone,

So my dad is really good at his profession and he has reached heights of success I couldn’t ever imagine reaching. I have always aspired to be like him. However, lately I have been super confused about what I really want to do with my life, especially professionally. My mind jumps from one thing to another and I’m never completely sure and I’m having a hard time making any productive decisions.

How do you guys deal with this kind of stuff? 

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey @VilJa <3

It's cool to hear that your dad has had a lot of success, and that you aspire to be like him.

I think this is a pretty common problem - I'm 14, yet trying to figure it all out.

For professionally, I've found that writing it down has helped before. Pick some careers that sound cool, however many, and look into them a bit, think, and write a pros/cons list. If you have someone, it can be great to talk your thoughts through with them :) Some things to bear in mind could be:
    • Does anything in particular about the job catch your interest,
    • Do you think you'd still enjoy it in a few years time,
    • Does it suit your unique traits and abilities,
    • How much training and commitment are you generally willing to have, and if there's much for this job, do you feel it's worth it,
    • What does your heart say? - does it feel like you'd just be wasting your life on this job, or does it seem meant for you,
    • How much would you generally want to earn, and does this job suit your money needs

Wishing you luck, and I'm sure you'll do good at whatever you end up choosing <3
  • HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    Hey @VilJa

I think it's really important to know that it's okay to not know what you want to do. For me, your careers finds you, you don't find your career. Everyone has different journeys and that's okay - we're all different people after all! I know 12 year olds with a really clear idea of what they want to do and 25 year olds who are still looking - we all work according to our own timelines so don't feel under pressure if your peers have clear ideas and you don't.

Volunteering opportunities are a great way to try different possible career areas out so I'd say keep your eyes out for any opportunities on that front. Good luck!
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • MsBingoMsBingo Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    Hi @VilJa,

I think its completely normal to feel like this, or lots of people do at least. I'm 21 now and I've considered so many different careers and i'm even not fully decided on the one that i'll be entering this summer. 

Did your dad always wanted to enter the profession he's in? My dad has a really good job now and I feel the same way as you about his success. However, just before I was born he used to have to walk around the shops all day to find the cheapest loaf of bread because he was unemployed, on benefits and had very little money.

Life can take so many different twists and turns, and to deal with feeling unsure I just try to think about that! I don't think any decision is unproductive (well within reason!) because whatever you're doing now can be experience for later on in life. 

As daunting as it seems now, it'll all work out in the end  <3
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

That's okay! There's so many options to choose that we worry that we aren't picking the right one, or that we're missing out a better choice. However, picking something is better than picking nothing! Sometimes, your dream job can be a nightmare, or a job you didn't think you'd like turns out to be the one you love! So go out there and try things - if it doesn't work, then atleast you've tried and got some experience, and if it does work, then great!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.