Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Carers Acronyms

Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
edited September 2019 in Health & Wellbeing

Being a carer can bring out the weird and wonderful side. Did you know if you put 2 carers in contact with one another we can come out with some questionable things like abi, Is taking A Lemur in australia and Meeting Individual Kangaroos Is Essential for the visits. 

Unfortunately, there is a serious side to our care role and we understand sometimes not everyone understands some of the abbreviations we use.

So here is a jumbo jargon busting List of abbreviations for you all that me and @Abigail have written - bare with us as this could be a long one as you embark on a educational yet werid journey that is a Young Carers mind. 

Young carers  - a Child or young person under the age of 18 who provides care for a Parent or family member.

Physical Support  - doing physical tasks such as washing, bathing, helping into bed, providing medication etc.

Emotional support - providing comfort - help to calm down family member when agitated or upset, adjust behaviour to suit needs of their behaviour.

Young Adult Carers – a Young adult under 25 (but over 18) who provides care for a parent or family member

Adult Carers – these are carers who are over 25 who provide care for a member of their family mum, dad, husband, child, etc.

Carers Allowance - Ones your over 18 you will be initial to go for meeting with your local carers team must be the adult team. You should sit down and see if your eligible for a carer's allowance.

Now whilst we were both writing this - it crossed our Minds that Maybe Imaginary karate exists and Abi decided to tell me she likes to Eat Dinosaurs ! - told you putting 2 carers together brings out the weird side.

On the other hand Aimee also told me she extinct dinosaurs and I told a lie including animal eggs  in her story

Acronyms

SEN -special education needs.

SEMBsocial, emotional, mental health.

I.T.A.lia-Integrated Team And liaison intense agencies

CAMHS-Child and adolescent mental health service

CEDS Community Eating disorder Service

E.DA.CEquality and Diversity Attributes for Carers

CEDS-YPCommunity eating disorder service- Young people

CMHT-Community Mental health Team

YCAD- Young Carers awareness day.

CAW-Carers Awareness Week

YCF-Young Carers festival (only the best meets up of young carers across the world, well uk)

YC-young carers

A.i.Fe -adult carers in further education

YAC-young adult carers

Ac-adult carers

YCiS-Young Carers in school award.

Mainstream setting Students with special educational needs are placed into a general school that is not specific for those with Special educational needs.

Mi.KeMaintaining ideal kids education - This is essential part of a caring role , not only making sure your in education but siblings if you have them.

Now Aimee just told me a very interesting story that she likes to create Animated integrated fish effects.

The benefit acronyms

Pip-  personal independence payment

DLA  - Disability living allowance 

ESA  - Employment and Support Allowance

DWP    - Department for Work and Pensions

On a more serious Note if your a young carer and If finding education difficult please reach out to the safeguarding team or a trusted member of staff who can help to put adaptations in place.

Now since it is april fools day we had to do something.

Did you all notice that @Aife, @Italia , @Mike and @Ed_   names are mentioned in this thread?

Some of them are more hidden than others - all have them have been mentioned more than once. 

If you did how long did it take you to notice , comment below but make sure not to give away the answers just yet - we will be revealing those later

For those who haven't found them yet- Happy Hunting you lot 😈

Aimee & Abi 
Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    AbigailAbigail Posts: 818 Part of The Mix Family
    Just going to bump this thread. As you are all secretly wanting to read it but scared to comment so come on tell us who you found. 
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    edited April 2019
    This is such a great thread @Abigail and @Millie2787 thank you so much for taking the time to put it together. It's so great you're raising awareness of carers, there's so many terms I wasn't aware of. 

I love the hidden words in here too! I won't reveal what I've found just yet, but I wonder if anyone else can find them :P 

Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    This is brilliant although I got pretty confused until I read the spoiler :tongue: feeling pretty slow today haha. In all seriousness tho this is really helpful - I'd heard a lot of these terms but tbh didn't know what they all meant.
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    very creative! I didn't realise until I read the spoiler
  • Options
    We’re give the rest of you guys who haven’t had a chance to read it or figured it out a few more days until we reveal what we were up to 😉 Keep on hunting you lot 😈
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    I noticed straight away, I was like "huh" then read spoiler and realised I wasn't just noticing it, it was purposely there 😂
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    This was a wonderful thread with a very important message (took me a while to get it until I read the spoiler haha) Fantastic effort, well done :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    Agree with all of the above. :) This is amazing. Well done for putting it together @Millie2787 and @Abigail
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    MsBingoMsBingo Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    Thank you for putting this together @Millie2787

I have found it really insightful and i'm sure i will find it useful at some point in the future.

Well done for raising awareness. Did not spot the names until the spoiler haha!
  • Options
    Sorry Guys ! I’ll admit it slipped my Mind with everything that’s going on to post the answers - Well better late than never ;) 

Aife

adult carers in further education

Animated integrated fish effects.

And if finding education

Mike

Meeting Individual Kangaroos is Essential

Maybe Imaginary karate exists

Maintaining ideal kids education

Italia

Is Taking A Lemur In Australia

I told a lie including animal eggs

integrated Team And  liaison intense agences

Ed

EDac- equality , diversity attributes or carers

Eat Dinosaurs

extinct dinosaurs

Hope you all had fun hunting for them and enjoyed learning some carers lingo at the same time .

Look our for another article During Carers awareness week in June :) 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Look our for another article During Carers awareness week in June  
    Lol if we remember that is 😂😂😂
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • Options
    Abigail said:
    Look our for another article During Carers awareness week in June  
    Lol if we remember that is 😂😂😂
    Dont you mean if You Remeber to post it @abigail 😂 it’s your turn to post now 😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    edited April 2019
    @Abigail @Millie2787 Thank you both again for putting this together! We all loved our hidden names! Looking forward to your next thread in June :) 

Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    @Aife so no pressure on me deliver another great thread for connecting carers in June. Completely no pressure at all 😂
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @Abigail of course definitely no pressure  or disagreements for us again 😂😉
  • Options
    @Aife @Mike Me and @Abigail were thinking we should title the next one “101 ways to Kill Abi and Aimee” and fill it full of ways you can quite  Litreally “kill us with kindness “😉😂😂