Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Very stressed over an application form

SienaSiena Posts: 15,493 Skive's The Limit
edited March 2019 in Health & Wellbeing

So i had a session on the Peer Education Program yesterday - speaking about the whole training and what peer support workers do. ( a peer worker is "someone whos experience significant mental health challenges who supports others with MH challenges" And after i have felt more that it is a job id love to do. Tho the training does sound very full on and intense & kinda lack confidence but still

They have changed the training, since they need it all done quicker as many jobs coming out soon. so wont be group interviews. Instead we are doing a written application as well as answering questions about an article. Which all have to be done by the 20th. The application has intense questions on it and it has taken me well over an hour to roughly answer just one question and stressed. But my sister said she thinks is good which helped. I just feel stressed as i feel like it took me awhil and barely wrote much and the article imo is very long and need to do that too. 

Im also stressed on knowing what i write for the DBS check as i have been involved with the police but i don’t know they wrote it down  and dk who to write for my refence since my work place dont do them

& I found out. That They dont actually do peer support training a lot and the last one they did before this was like 3 years ago. So feels quite important to me. As if fail application then cant go further with the training. They have a few jobs going in NHS for this year - as they want more peer support workers in MH - which is good but lotsssss of people have signed up  so quite hard  and for applications that are successful need 121 interview too so gues is quite a lot of short listing  

And basically one of the questions is asking why im interested in doing it - do you think i can speak about how i like supporting people online or? For the training they just basicaly want someone whos really passionate about supporting others recovery & more about the persons personality - empathy,support ect & they can teach the rest, so i feel like its relevant ?

And basically i am writing this in the health & wellbeing section because i am stressed as feels importnat to me & because i will be very sad if/when i fail the application. 

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,493 Skive's The Limit
    edited March 2019
    I need to write 1,000 words for the article, i know what to write - its just how i write it is hard. And the application form is stressful

And i think it looks like i will have to use my Care co ordinator as a reference and need to phone to ask her. 

Which i don’t know will go well. I mean i do turn up to all her appotnements and engage which is about the most positive thing she could say so kinda scared :///. But kinda that if they used my reference that she will say something negative like not fit for work or something. But she did seem happy i was doing more things and that ive signed up to it so i don’t know. 

Need to hand it in by 20th and will know by the monday 25th
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited March 2019
    Yeah know. It doesnt even matter cause an getting no where in life. 

Ive emailed them to ask about my contact woth the police and if that would come up for DBS check so should i write it on the aplication and they said every contact youve had with the police shows up on an Advanced DBS check so basically now no job thats any further than a dead end job will want me

lol want to die

actually fed up
    Post edited by Siena on
  • mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi Shaunie,

Thank you for reaching out.

Applications can take a long time but you can often see a person who's put in more time and effort into it which the employer may appreciate. 

I think you can say you like to support others online because it's one thing to say you enjoy something but actually being able to show it is another. So I think it would suit that question very well.

Try not to think in a way that you won't get it because of... I know it's hard but it might just stress you out and hinder you writing your application to the best potential. With the DBS somethings are filtered out or "expire" so they might appear on the check. 

If you're comfortable with it, keep us updated on your application.

edited March 2019
    Thank you. 
    They did say mental health issues that are on your dbs shouldnt be too much of a problem depending on what it is. Idk still knocks my confidence. 

So ive finished the essay thingy for the article. My older sister Used to work in mental health so she said she could maybe help me. I sent her the article and my essay answering the article and she read both and she said it is really good that she doesnt know how i can prove expect from my spelling. I mean i think id rather she was honest and told me where i can improve. 

But anyway glad ive finished it. Just need to edit it abit

stil need to fill out the application questions tho ://// done some of them. 

My brain feels quite stressed :(
    edited March 2019
    Aw know ive been feeling really shit but i am out and i just saw one of the peer tutors who is the one who decides and all that. And she was like "how did you find the information session" and i was like yeah really good - going to apply. And she was like "aw thats great - you would make a really good peer support worker and would so love to train you on it" 

so that has really improved my mood and seems really hopeful cause she is one of the people who decide interviews and stuff. 

Ive nearly finished the application and ive took so much effort and thought into it as well as the essay thing and ive nearly finished. 😊
    Post edited by Siena on
  • StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,084 Wise Owl
    Hey Shaunie, 

Just wanted to pop on to say it sounds positive what the peer tutor said, well done on nearly finishing the essay thing too :heart:

Keep posting if you need too, we are here for you. 

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Thank you

I sent my application and essay in yesterday. Will know by Monday (25th) if get an interview. But doubt it with how many people sign up and how many they need to short list to the interview. 

But have tried so is what it is 🙃
    Will post back on here on monday
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Well done Shaunie, sounds really positive!! Fingers crossed for good news next Monday :smile:
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    Thank you!

tomorrow i find out if my appliaction was successful and get 1-2-1 interview 
    need lots of luck lol 🙃🙃🙃🙃
    going to very sad when say i am not suitable. They dont do the training often
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Wishing you the best of luck Shaunie, really hope it was successful <3 And if it wasn't stay cool, we'll be here for you!
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Hey @Shaunie

Best of luck for tomorrow, I really hope you get this! You've put a lot of work into your application and I think you'll be a great peer support worker too. Really proud of you whatever the outcome is <3

Will be thinking of you tomorrow, let us know how you get on :) 
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    Good luck today @Shaunie . Even if you don’t get it remember we’re all still be proud of you ! 

Ill be thinking of you during the day ❤️
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    edited March 2019
    Aw thank you all !!! <3<3

Been invited for an interview!!!!!!. So happy. My involvement with the police didnt even put them off
    edited March 2019
    it says i can start applying for the job roles that are coming out tomorrow and sent me the link for that
    so im guessing you can do the training knowing you will get a job striaght after. And if get the job dont need to go to the interview. 
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    edited March 2019
    OMg @Shaunie that’s amazing news I’m so proud !!!!!!!! Fabulous! 

You should be so so so proud of yourself 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Aww congratulations @Shaunie really proud of you! <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Well done Shaunie *high five* :) Good work.
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Yay!!!! WELL DONE much deserved. Excited for you :smile:
    When's the interview and how are you feeling about it?
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Congratulations @Shaunie !! I'm glad your hard work paid off 
    edited March 2019
    Aw thank you alll!!!' <3

The interview is on 16th. Im kinda stressed about it :///// like what questions theyd ask ect. 

But i had phone call with young womans trust today which was helpful in helping me think. 

I need to make a wellness plan - they want to see that have one and know how to keep self well. Dunno if anyone else has made one?

they said theyd be jobs going online today but havent seen it yet. They said theyd send the more direct email for when they go live but that would be interesting and will Maybe apply. (You obvs need to do the training first before the job - but cant still apply). 
    edited March 2019
    Omgg stressed. How do istop feeling stressed. 

The job roles came out. I feel a bit of a mess when i think about mental health hospitals. And I don’t know if i wanna work there or be an inpatient lollll. Think definelty work aha

I am under NHS Pererborough and Cambridgeshire. I live in peterborough and most of the job titles are in Cambridgde. Which sound quite good but dont think can apply to it. 

Post edited by Siena on