Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Where do you get your information about social or political issues?

AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
edited February 2019 in Politics & Debate

Hey everyone,

We're interested to know a bit more about where you get your information from about social or political issues. For example, who or what's your go to person/source and what types of information do you trust?

Share your thoughts below :) 
Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤

Comments

• ArianaAriana Posts: 193 Trailblazer
    This is a really good question. I think it's quite hard to know what sources to trust because all the different news agencies have their own agendas and social media sites like Facebook are very selective in the issues they cover and often show fake news as well as real news. My go to for current affairs is usually the BBC News website, but I'm aware that the BBC can be very biased so I sometimes then follow up stories that interest me on other places like Sky News to see a different slant on the same story and see what "facts" about the issue seem to be consistent. I also look at NHS websites for health-related things as they share quite a lot of information including inspection reports and things like that that can often qualify or debunk the stories you see in the media. 
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Think it depends on what I’m looking at . For me when it comes to reaserching into things about Young Carers I’ll take a look at any recent reports that have come out from Carers Trust or the one that came out from the BBC last year. I look at any results from survey that my local Young Carers or other Young Carers services have done or even look into reports that individuals who have a passion into Young Carers have done Such as Saul Becker. 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    1, I get a lil information from just seeing the world around me tbh (sad but true). 2, BBC News - not sure how much I like them but I trust them to only put the real stuff out there with no fake news. 3, I'm sorry if I misunderstood the question :joy:
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Like Kathleen said

The world around me,

My brother and father (sadly have a political family) 

I see some stuff on facebook as well. 

I can't really say what information I trust as I don't take part in it,  I just hear it 😂

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
    Heya, 

Super interesting answer.  It sounds like there is definitely a clear definition between trusted sources and sources you don't trust. 

What makes you trust or distrust a source in particular? 

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown

• MsBingoMsBingo Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    I get a lot of my information about social and political issues from the Guardian, which is the online newspaper that I subscribe to. I download it and read it in the morning on the bus because I feel like it is a better use of time than just scrolling through facebook!

I also sometimes watch BBC news in the evening. I also see a lot of political stuff on Facebook but I try to be wary about who and where it is coming from.

My go to person is always my mum! We share similar political and social views though, so sometimes it does feel like I live in a bubble.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    I found that following news and media helps you understand some basics of current affairs, but is subject to some bias and untruth sometimes. Research is far more accurate, but difficult to read. Actually, reading big-idea books about philosophy, geography, economics, sociology etc helps you to understand the whole politics game much better, in a way that media and news can't match! :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    This is a really good question and has made me think about my sources...! Tbh I get a lot of information from Twitter, from politicians direct tweets and from what I perceive to be 'trustworthy' sources like the Guardian etc articles. But tbh I take everything I read with a pinch of salt because I don't 100% trust anything online or even on TV!
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    My first port of call is often the BBC news, followed by the guardian and independent news. But then I'll do my own research too. If it's on an emotive topic, I like to look at the language websites use because journalists write to persuade their audience so I'm often questioning their choice of words and looking at other perspectives to get a bigger picture. Specifically for things like mental health, I follow a lot of professionals, organisations, charities, advocates and like to look at their stance on related discussions.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    edited March 2019
    Hiya all, just wanted to update you on this on behalf of @Italiaand the wider The Mix team.

I've spent this weekend working with a cool bunch of organisations (DCMS, Policy Lab, BYC) who @The Mix  are collaborating with to build a digital platform which will allow young people to have a say in government policy making consultations. We spent some time looking at your responses to this thread. They gave us a massive insight into how you gather your views and facts. This really helped us design some platforms that were as attractive and relevant to as many young people as possible. I also wanted to mention all your responses were kept totally anonymous - we didn't share your usernames, profiles or any details, so your information is safe!

It's a really exciting project and this certainly won't be the last you hear of it...we've got loads of cool plans to engage with you further! Thanks for all of the help - your responses were great! Anyone curious about the project just ask!
    Post edited by HarryT on
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨