Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Work/volunteer/education

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited September 2023 in Work & Study
Hi

im stressed. I don’t know what to do with my life. I don’t want to carrying on where I am working. And am only doing 8 hours which isn’t even enough money anyways. Lol Feel embarrassed everytime people ask me what I am doing with my life.   I want to volunter but that has no money. And I thought maybe I could get experience while working in retail and wouldn’t be as bad when it’s not Christmas and isn’t as busy but last weekend it wasn’t busy and omg I hated it more as was more boring and realise I feel I’m not that anxious around people anymore or in busy places cause actually prefer it than when it’s quiet. It’s just the job I hate. So then I’m thinking what is the actual point. I do not want a job cause only jobs I will be able to get are jobs like retail and it’s just sooo boring I can’t stand it. I won’t be able to get a job I  enjoy with like people and health care setting as I only have GCSEs. So I don’t get where I am suppose to go from here, i was thinking apperterships. But that doesn’t give that much money. I was thinking about going back into education but I have no money. 

And then I was thinking maybe find anywhere to work full time just to get some money. Even tho it would be hell. But then I don’t think would be good for my mental health

I don’t know why I am posting this as I think I am stuck in this and no point but if anyone has any advice would be great

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    And basically Has anyone done an appertership and was it enough money to live off? And to be able to get a job in it after ?

Or  Has anyone found a way to go back into education when they have literally no money?

Or has anyone found a job with helping people that isn’t retail or soemthing like a call centre but like health care setting, with only having GCSEs

i don’t even know what I want from life or why I’m still alive, am stuck
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • CarolineVCarolineV Posts: 133 The Mix Convert
    Hiya Shaunie

I know I commented on a similar post a couple of weeks back, it's great to see you thinking more about this. It's also good that you're considering your mental health when looking at jobs, it sounds like you thinking working full time wouldn't be good for you and that self-awareness is really important.

I mentioned a couple of places for support last time, but I just wanted to add Princes Trust as another charity who support young people. They do all sorts of work, but specifically they can provide grants for training and education, or work experience in different sectors.

Hope today is a good day for you <3
    Caroline
    Thank you @CarolineV
    will have a look at those!

I think maybe is possible to get a sort of job I want with only gcses. Because a few mins ago my sister just got a job interview for a care assistant in a care home & she’s the same age as me and done similar stuff and she only has GCSEs too. 
    edited January 2019

I think maybe is possible to get a sort of job I want with only gcses. Because a few mins ago my sister just got a job interview for a care assistant in a care home & she’s the same age as me and done similar stuff and she only has GCSEs too. 
    Na I don’t think I would want to be a care assistant

ive looked at this https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch website & there are only 2 in my area and don’t like any of them

omg I’ve been spelling apprenticeship wrong this whole time. Ffs I am too stupid
    Can anyone help with those questions. Really want a life. My sisters are moving on with their life while I’m stuck in bed
    Shaunie said:
     Because a few mins ago my sister just got a job interview for a care assistant in a care home 
    She got the job. Now my parents are proper embarrassed by me:(((( helppp
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    Shaunie said:
    Shaunie said:
     Because a few mins ago my sister just got a job interview for a care assistant in a care home 
    She got the job. Now my parents are proper embarrassed by me:(((( helppp
    Jobs can be ridiculously hard to get, so try not to be too hard on yourself. Regardless of how your parents feel, these things are personal journeys and it's okay if yours isn't the same as your sister's. You're different people. :) 

And basically Has anyone done an appertership and was it enough money to live off? 

I might be able to help a little bit here. Apprenticeship wages vary, and for the ones that are paid, that money often comes from a third party. For example, a charitable foundation might give a care home a grant to fund interns or apprentices, and then that care home approaches people they consider good candidates or advertises the position on their website.

I did an apprenticeship for about £800 a month, which was only just liveable for me because I was living with family at the time. For independent living, an apprenticeship is very unlikely to keep you afloat, but otherwise you should be okay. Keep in mind that it does vary though - I don't think there's any real 'standard' for apprentice wages. It depends on the budget they have.

And to be able to get a job in it after ?

If you make a good impression on the people you work for over that time, there's often opportunities for more work after. Depending on where you're looking to work, there might be budgetary issues, but quite often people will get so used to having you around that they'll want to keep you on if they can.

I'd recommend getting 'in' with somewhere you want to work for. Looking for apprenticeships online is definitely worth doing, but if you can start volunteering for somewhere first, it'll improve your chances of them considering you for other work. :) Most places will accept volunteers in some capacity, and when you're not being paid but you work hard anyway, it shows people you're committed and driven.

I would also say that working in retail can be a real plus on your CV if you eventually want to go into care work. It's a good way to show you have communication and interpersonal skills - both of which are super important for working in social care. When we interview volunteers (or anyone), any experience working with customers or doing some sort of public-facing work is always a bonus.

I realise this is super long so I'll stop there! Not sure how useful this is but hopefully someone else can chime in with some info on the other stuff. :) Best of luck with the search and keep us updated.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Thank you @Mike

really helpful and insightful. I’ve wrote a draft of my CV and did realise at how can connect retail work with lots of skills like confidence & definetly communcation and speaking with lots of people, working under pressure , in teams with people, being organised and stuff can all related to it to some degree. I live of about £230 a month so like I don’t think can get much worse if move to a different job lol. 

In my group therapy talk about this and I am meant to be looking into Age.Uk about befriending of where you can go to an old people’s house and speak with them and stuff and only need to do a minimum of 1 hour a week. But I haven’t had time/confidence to ring them yet. 

And in therapy we looked at appertcinceship but haven’t found much atm. But my OT have suggested I look into being a peer support worker. (Someone who has been through mental illnesses and then speaks to other people who are with mental illnesses in the NHS.) I mean like that sounds like a great job that didnt realise existed. I’m signing up to their recovery course on Monday so I can learn more about it. Something called PEP
    But when an apperteciship comes out in my area for that I will definetly apply because you only need to have gone through secondary mental health services and to have GCSEs and passion to help others with mental health and do peer support to go on their training corse or appertership. It sounds like such a good job that I’m too much of a fuck up to ever get something like that lol. 
    Ive signed up to Peer support work stuff which is in March and i should hear from them within a week

i just literally have no money otherwise id pay for a level 3 college corse or anything. Ive just been on a few sites and not entited to any benefits. 

And thank you @CarolineV for website link. Going to try to contact them. -
  • CarolineVCarolineV Posts: 133 The Mix Convert
    You're very welcome, hope it's helpful! Did you hear back about the peer support work?
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi Shaunie hows it going for you?