Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should we rename this forum 'Education'?

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Feel free to add your reasons and thoughts below. :) 

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Should we rename this forum 'Education'? 11 votes

Yes
9% 1 vote
No, keep it as 'Student'
90% 10 votes
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Renaming it as education makes me think that we could only post about educational things if that makes sense rather than things that come with being a student if that makes sense ? 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Thanks @Meggles & @Millie2787. :)

For some context, the thought that triggered this was that other forums are titled with subjects (Health & Wellbeing, Sex & Rels, etc.), whereas this one is currently named after a group of people, which breaks that trend slightly. It's a bit like how 'Gender & Sexuality' isn't called 'LGBT+'.

It is a very minor thing - we're just floating the idea to see what people think. :)

Mike & the team
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • ArianaAriana Posts: 193 Trailblazer
    @The Mix How about "Student Life" instead? Then it's not a particular person, but more a particular aspect of life and the issues that might bring with it.

I also think "Education" sounds a bit too formal compared to the other sections too and people might shy away from the word if they're having bad experiences with school etc.
    edited January 2019
    Dang, a unanimous verdict! Loud and clear - thanks guys. :tongue: 

'Student Life' is a solid suggestion @Ariana. That seems like a decent solution here. How do we all feel about that one? Throw Ariana an 'agree' if you like it. :) 

Mike & the team

We decided to go with this idea. :) Thanks everyone, and thanks @Ariana for the suggestion!

Mike & the team

Thank you @The Mix I'm glad people liked it! 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited January 2019
    Oh I’m too late to answer this question. But I disagree with everyone else

I saw this question a few days ago but forgot to answer and cause realised you was just gunna write it as student. But today I did write a thread about education/work/volunteering and I thought about putting it in this forum as I really wanted to speak about education more. But I am not a student, I just want advice around education. so I felt like it didn’t fit and the title makes it sound like you’re student asking for advice. & student sounds more formal than education imo

But obviously no one else thinks that lol so ignore
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I'm also too late to answer but I remember when I first joined being confused by this, I thought it was just for university students and not for school/college. But that's probably just me and I agree with the others that education is quite formal for a place like this :)
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    I'm also too late to answer but I remember when I first joined being confused by this, I thought it was just for university students and not for school/college. But that's probably just me and I agree with the others that education is quite formal for a place like this :)
    Omg i thought i was the only one who thought that!  
    I used to think this too when i was in college and was still a member. I thought student meant uni. But thought was only one who thought those terms for uni. ‘Student’ sounds more grown up and never remember calling myself a student in school or college. I just thought people said “I am in school” and people in uni said theyre a ‘student’ Lol. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited January 2019
    Shaunie said:
    Omg i thought i was the only one who thought that!  
    I used to think this too when i was in college and was still a member. I thought student meant uni. But thought was only one who thought those terms for uni. ‘Student’ sounds more grown up and never remember calling myself a student in school or college. I just thought people said “I am in school” and people in uni said theyre a ‘student’ Lol. 
    Lol this was so annoying me & taken me so long to think about why I used to think student is uni. I think its mostly cause student makes you sound independent & it’s cause I say things like “oh load of school kids over there” lol and when I think about uni I don’t exactly call them uni kids. Lol I say just students or uni students and cause when I was in school the teacher called us pupils not students and we called each other school kids and never students. So I also used to see this thread as uni. & definetly not only one who thought that @ independent 

and maybe could confuse other younger people? As people use different words for things & cant go wrong saying education. i don’t know
    Post edited by Siena on
    Yeh I see your point @Shaunie and @independent_

Maybe something like "School, College & University" would feel more inclusive?
    Ariana said:
    Yeh I see your point @Shaunie and @independent_

Maybe something like "School, College & University" would feel more inclusive?
    Ah yeah
    but then there’s like lots of educational stuff aswell like online courses which isn’t college or uni and I think people call appertships students aswell

i don’t see why it wouldnt just be Education imo as covers it all, of all struggles of being in education and no misunderstanding of words cause education means the same for everyone
    How is education a small part of being a student. 
    If i saw that title id be like okay i can speak about my uni struggle or school or where ever place i am learning and struggling cause still means youre a student so im really confused on why saying that

and just two people have said ‘student’ used to only mean one thing to them. Yet education means the same for everyone else and just means somewhere youre being educated 
    Meggles said:
     We refer to our high school kids as students where I am. 
    & Your school must of used american terms then cause i never said the word “high school” either was always secondary school. 
    I think what @Meggles means @Shaunie (and please do correct me if I'm wrong!) is that there's a lot more to being a student, say at university, than just studying and education. There's living away from home for the first time, there's halls and socials, there's renting a house for the first time, there's nightlife, there's social worries like making new friends, there are clubs and societies, there's studying abroad, there's the infuriating admin system, etc. etc. There's just so much more that people might want to talk about when it comes to "student life" than just the "education" or studying side of things....

But I do see your point about courses that aren't part of a school, college, or university. Although I imagine those would be more vocational so could maybe go in the Work & Volunteering section? I don't know, just thinking aloud, feel free to ignore! 
    Shaunie said:
    Meggles said:
     We refer to our high school kids as students where I am. 
    & Your school must of used american terms then cause i never said the word “high school” either was always secondary school. 
    Also they use "high school" in Scotland as well as in America.  :) Which I only learned recently!
    edited January 2019
    But even said your self “if youre in education youre a student” so it cover that? If someone says “oh i think i may go back into education” and theyre meaning uni - you think oh youre not going to have a student life or ... i am just lil confused :) . It still means youre a student. 

It doesn’t matter lol am out numbered 
    edited January 2019

"Student life and education" ?
    But being in education is a student life. Ha. 
    It doesn’t matter, I’m just saying that I ain’t surprised that most of the threads on here are about uni

But yeah if to most of you think student life and education are so different ? then just calling it only student life then should sound like, to you, it means only living away & stuff and not including the education part.(?)  

but ignore me. Cause all think is student life so it doesn’t matter now 
    aha I’m sorry
    Meggles said:
    People don't always associate students with uni tho 🙃
    Some do though. Esp where I live 
    Meggles said:
    Shaunie said:
    Meggles said:
    People don't always associate students with uni tho 🙃
    Some do though. Esp where I live 
    But it shouldn't.
    It feels like it's creating a big stigma around who students are
    I know. Though student & pupil are same things so doesn’t matter. I’m  just saying that saying that sounds like you’re ignoring all the younger people who use different terms. 
    Shaunie said:
    I know. Though student & pupil are same things so doesn’t matter. I’m  just saying that saying that sounds like you’re ignoring all the younger people who use different terms. 
    That's why I thought "School, College & University" might work because then it's definitely including school. But I do still think "Education" is a) too formal and b) doesn't take into account all the other issues that come with student life that people might want to talk about.
    Why is ‘education’ a formal word?  I always say “I want to go back into education” I don’t say it in posh formal voice either ahah
    I don't know, just feels formal to me! If I was a school-aged teenager I think I'd steer clear of anything entitled "Education" because it would sound too much like work to me. But people in school might still need and want to post about school issues without the formal connotations.
    edited January 2019
    I know what student means. I knew what student meant when I was in school (I think lol) but I still thought it was a term for uni. Many people don’t use that term for school is all I’m trying to say. :) they probably only use the first definition.