Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Flat earth?

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited December 2018 in Politics & Debate
Nope i am not a flat earther🙃just open minded

Know the flat earth debate annoys people. Ha. But id say i am pretty open to the fact the earth could be flat. Cant be 100% sure that the earth is round and some research to say it may not be and that we are only told it by nasa that it is round and made to think it is. As they “lost” the footage of the first person goin on the moon. And footage of someone on the moon looks fake. I mean how can you lose something that important. 

https://youtu.be/3lBpuBqxDVA
I watched PointlessBlog’s post. (An hour long) and was interesting that A sciencist called Auguste Piccard  as the first person to go quite high up and said the earth looked flat with curved up edges. I dont get why the first person to go that high would say that.

i guess not that important but it is interesting. What do others think about it?
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hah

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Perhaps it sits on four elephants stood on a giant turtle hurtling through space?
    The earth is 100% not flat. Enough of this anti-intellectualism. 

While we're here; chemtrails are not a thing, vaccines do not cause autism, reiki is a load of bollocks, as is homeopathy.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive said:
    Perhaps it sits on four elephants stood on a giant turtle hurtling through space?
    The earth is 100% not flat. Enough of this anti-intellectualism. 

While we're here; chemtrails are not a thing, vaccines do not cause autism, reiki is a load of bollocks, as is homeopathy.
    Ha. Well. Unless youre scientist and been up space and seen it all - then its not 100%. I definetly havent so i cant say 100% sure. But this question is being asked a lot because there is clearly some evidence that we cant be completly sure. 
    What 'evidence'?
    Weekender Offender 
    edited December 2018
    Aidan said:
    If objects didn't dissappear over the horizon as they get further away, if you couldn't have a flight all the way around the world, if all the other celestial bodies weren't observably spherical, if the earth didn't have day on one side and night on another, if some parts of the earth weren't different distances from the sun resulting in seasons- then you could say the earth was flat.

Seeing as the moon is tidally locked to the earth (tidal forces mean the same side of the moon always faces the earth) it'd make more sense suggesting the moon is flat.

The first photo of earth from space was taken on March 7 in 1947, long before NASA or things such as photoshop. It was taken from an altitude of just over 100 miles, and although it's not great quality (it was 1947) it shows the curvature of the earth.

I'll be honest it looks pretty straight but if you make a tangent with a ruler or something you can see that it's curved.

These things that go completely against this. to prove it could be flat

https://www.iflscience.com/environment/seven-things-that-prove-the-earth-is-flat-according-to-flatearthers/

No plane as actually ever gone right through antartica - possible because is nothing
    Ah. Yeah probably right.

But i still think no matter what you say. That think proves it. You cant even be 100% sure it is round. 

You are only told what you know. - and show and even the scientific stuff. And apprrently we could be told a load of lies. I mean until you have seen if all for yourself then yeah
    Shaunie said:
    You are only told what you know. - and show and even the scientific stuff. And apprrently we could be told a load of lies. I mean until you have seen if all for yourself then yeah

Anti-intellectualism is defined as hostility and mistrust of intellect and intellectuals and is commonly expressed as deprecation of education, science and philosophy.

You seem very quick to be able to dismiss evidence fro established geologists, physicists and astronomers and 1st hand experience of astronauts. Yet are quite happy to link to arguments put forward by the rapper B.o.B?

Anti-intellectualism is not cool. It's stupid.
    Weekender Offender 
    edited December 2018
    Every thing that you think is proof has something that could say it means something else. Angles& lightening and what not. 

Think is pretty close minded to only believe one thing. I am not even saying i believe the world is flat. The world could be round or flat. I have no idea what the world looks like. I am not dismissing evidence. - I am just saying that there are other ways to look at things that youre ignoring 🙃

I dont think i am stupid. I am just questioning things. Not dismissing it
    Post edited by Siena on
    Shaunie said:
    Every thing that you think is proof has something that could say it means something else. Angles& lightening and what not. 

I just think its pretty close minded to only believe one thing. I am not even saying i believe the world is flat. The world could be round or flat. I have no idea what the world looks like. I am not dismissing evidence. - I am just saying that there are other ways to look at things that youre ignoring 🙃

I dont think i am stupid. I am just questioning things. Not dismissing it

Angels and lightening? 

I'm not close minded. I believe in science. Science adjust it's views all the time based on what is observed. So far there is no evidence that has been observed to prove the assertion that the world is flat.

I'm not calling you stupid. I'm staying the denial of science is stupid.

Weekender Offender 
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I believe the earth is flat cause it takes half hour longer to travel the same distance on the boat north than it does to travel south, the only reason I can think of for that is its cause the boat is going uphill on the globe haha :wink:
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I for one am rubbish at debates but I personally believe the earth is round. 
    I can tell when I look across the horizon and see NASA's Vids and such(off topic but love their live streams!  💕)
    😂

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld

Shaunie said:

Sorry but that is absurd. Both the sun and the moon appear to change size depending on where they are in the sky due to refraction in the earths atmosphere. It's a well understood phenomenon.
    And I don't understand the point about the days being shorter.

This isn't evidence of a flat earth. This is a crazy theory for which there is no evidence, and to believe it you have to dismiss hundreds of years of observations from scientists and academics - in other words science.

You don't want to trust science? Get yourself half decent telescope and you can observe the moon orbiting the earth, the other planets orbiting the sun. You can observe for yourself that every other planetary is a spherical.

Weekender Offender