Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Would you like to be part of our Youth Panel?

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
Hey everyone,

Would you like to be part of The Mix's Youth Panel? We're recruiting :) 

Here's a bit of info about the role:

Here at The Mix we want young people to have a place at the table. We believe that your voices are critical in shaping our services by bringing new and important perspectives. In this role you’ll have the chance to do this by sharing your views and ideas on how our services should work for young people. 

The panel also agree to work as ambassadors for The Mix, including distributing our awareness materials, attending and speaking about our service in public at relevant events, link building with youth and community groups and services across the UK, contributing content via our website and assisting with social media promotion, plus other ad-hoc opportunities as identified and agreed. 

You’ll attend monthly meetings via Google hangouts and one annual face-to-face meeting in London. You’ll have the chance to feed into potential projects, partnerships and service developments and you’ll be involved in communications and policy work. You’ll review service user feedback and help us to understand motivation for children and young people to engage with The Mix.

I've attached a role description if you'd like to read more about the role. If you're interested in applying, you can sign up here: http://bttr.im/lv6wn 

Let me know if you have any questions!

- Aife
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Though hard to read the description as first page is blurry. But managed to. So I tried to sign up but got to the emergancy contact details and didnt know what to put, so i just left it lol. And plus dunno if when you say monthly online meeting dunno that sounds like would be a weekend or something and probably a time im at work. 

Butanyways. Thanks for letting know
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Just two,  

Is it still join able while on the counselling committee? 

And,  is okay that I live rather away? :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    Done! :) 
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    Sadly not allowed. I'm not allowed google hangouts or to talk to people my mum doesn't know (well at least on the phone/skype/hangouts)
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • LabraBellLabraBell Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    edited November 2018
    Gotta say I quite like the look of this, and I'd really enjoy doing it.

But the problem is the annual face to face meeting. I live over in Oldbury B68, so it's not super far away, but I don't know if I'd be able to get the permission, transport, funds and accommodation (if needed) to get there for it. I've been to London a few times so that wouldn't be as much of an issue.

It wouldn't be impossible to get there but it would still take a bit, and I wouldn't be able to say for certain if I'd be able to. If there's a way around that though, I'd be more than happy to get involved.

Edit - Aah, reading back over the attachment, I saw "Reasonable travel expenses, carer and childcare costs covered." I'll apply now, but I just wanted to clarify exactly what that would mean, and would I be covered for it with what I mentioned?
    What do you mean I have to think of an intelligent signature?
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    edited November 2018
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your questions :)

@Shaunie The monthly online meetings tend to be Monday-Wednesday evenings 7-8pm once a month. For emergency contact details, you could put down a parent/guardian, sibling or another family member's details. 

@Laine you're more than welcome to be part of the Youth Panel too. It would be quite a big commitment to do both but we can talk that through when you apply. 

@Laine & @LabraBell For the face to face meet up, there is only one a year and we'll cover costs for travel and accommodation if needed :)

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

- Aife
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    @The Mix would the once a year meeting be like on a weekend ? 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Hey @Millie2787

This is a great question. The once a year meeting will be on a weekend on the Saturday. The date tends to be confirmed a couple months in advance so if anyone needs to get time of work they'll have a bit of notice :) 

- Aife

The Mix said:
    Hey @Millie2787

This is a great question. The once a year meeting will be on a weekend on the Saturday. The date tends to be confirmed a couple months in advance so if anyone needs to get time of work they'll have a bit of notice :) 

- Aife
    Guess you cant you still sign up if not sure would be able to go to face to face? Is just im pretty sure i wont be working where i am for much longer but if i am theyd never let me have a saturday off even with months notice like they literally want a year lol. Guess theres always calling in sick;)
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Shaunie said:
    The Mix said:
    Hey @Millie2787

- Aife
    Guess you cant you still sign up if not sure would be able to go to face to face? Is just im pretty sure i wont be working where i am for much longer but if i am theyd never let me have a saturday off even with months notice like they literally want a year lol. Guess theres always calling in sick;)
    @Sha@Shaunie I was thinking about that to as my job on a Saturday is childminding but oh well I still signed up she’ll jusy have to accept the fact I may not be able to do it one a year 😂😂

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Heyy,

Ideally you would need to attend the face to face meeting. Feel free to apply anyway and we can talk these things through. There's lots of opportunities you can be involved in :) 

- Aife

• HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    I was part of the Youth panel (for a year) if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask :)
    edited November 2018
    Oh, no. Am i too late?? :( 

Kept meaning to try to sign up when i asked that but kept forgeting. Now i cant see it as an option under the “general interests” ? I think thats how i got onto it last time://
    I think I may have submitted my application twice 🤦🏻‍♀️
    I think I may have submitted my application twice 🤦🏻‍♀️
    @Millie2787 can you remember how you got onto it? Was it on “general interests”?
    @shaunie I clicked on the fill in application which was above the general interests list then filled in the left hand side to make and account and then clicked youth panel from the drop down list when filling in the full application 
    edited November 2018
    Hey @Shaunie I believe applications will be closing at the end of this week but I'll double check that for you tomorrow :) 

@Millie2787 we've received your application! Good luck :) 

- Aife

Thank you.

I found it 🙂, think I was looking at the wrong bit.  Though i hope was on right bit. - I think i applied:) 
    Hey @Shaunie that's great you found it! I've just checked about the closing date - applications will be closing on 1st Dec. :) 

If anyone else is having trouble applying, if you can send an email to info@themix.org.uk and let us know why you want to be on the Youth Panel and what you will get out of it, we'll add you to the application list :) 

Good luck everyone!

- Aife

Am I right in assuming that applications will be read once the deadline is reached then? Just wondering so I know when an answer might come through lol.

And also, just wondering because I was having internet problems at the time, did my app come through?
    LabraBell said:
    did my app come through?
    Yeah i Was wondering this too. It kept going back to login page so dunno if went through
    Hey @LabraBell & @Shaunie yep we've received both of your applications! We'll be in touch after applications have closed next week. Good luck :) 

- Aife

Glad to hear it, thank you. looking forwards to it. Although I should mention I'm having some issues with my phone mic not working at the minute so if I'm contacted by phone it might be hard to hear me. Just wanted to give a heads up there
    edited November 2018
    LabraBell said:
    Glad to hear it, thank you. looking forwards to it. Although I should mention I'm having some issues with my phone mic not working at the minute so if I'm contacted by phone it might be hard to hear me. Just wanted to give a heads up there
    Oh.  I didnt know google hangouts meant call.  I never used them before i thought it meant message. Aha. I don’t know if i can do that. Not good with Speaking through the phone to be honest.  never mind was probably gunna ignore my application anyway aha
    Post edited by Siena on
    Shaunie said:
    LabraBell said:
    Oh.  I didnt know google hangouts meant call.  I never used them before i thought it meant message. Aha. I don’t know if i can do that. Not good with Speaking through the phone to be honest.  never mind was probably gunna ignore my application anyway aha
    hangouts is fine on my side because I have a tablet that uses it an has a mic. I was mainly talking about if they called the number I supplied because they might not be able to hear me. My mic has broken on there and I can sometimes use my external one if I'm lucky but generally I dont have much sound on there. It's annoying af :sweat_smile:

I'm just coming back to this after forgetting. Have I not received contact about this or am I just missing something? Cant seem to find a response anywhere so I was just wondering 🤔
    Hey @LabraBell sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we're hoping to get back to everyone this week :) 

- Aife

The Mix said:
    Hey @LabraBell sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we're hoping to get back to everyone this week :) 

- Aife

Aah that's no problem at all. Just wanted to clarify is all :3
    edited December 2018
    @The Mix come to think of it I missed a call from a private number today. Been worrying about it since then because I thought it might be from police or MASH or someone. But ive just thought, if I were to receive a call from yous, would it come up as a private number?
    edited December 2018
    @LabraBell
    they send an email I think.

[edited by moderator on request]
    Post edited by JustV on
This discussion has been closed.