Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nowhere I can turn!

TRIGGER WARNING

I hate my gender. And all the stereotypes that go with it. I never knew life would be so horrible. I’m not one of those privileged few who can do things perfectly, born in a rich family or act like nothing’s wrong. So no one will ever care about me or consider me. I feel like I’m here just to suffer 😓

After reading these articles and some personal experience, I feel like the rest of my life is going to be like this and there’s nothing I can do now to stop it!

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/mens-voices-ireland-launch-3048886-Oct2016/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/5d33c36d-cd41-4351-97ed-4516962d5c44

http://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/xavier-toby/men-get-lonely-so-what_b_6416212.html

I wish there was something I could do about this. I’d rather not go on anymore if it’s going to be like this. It’s not like I have or can find empathetic friends to call or talk about things with. Nature and society says so. So I’m not going to bother.

I am hurting inside so badly right now. There is not a single person in my life or outside it I feel I can talk to. Emotionally, I am alone.

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi @Misunderstood,

I'm really sorry to hear how you feel. It sounds like you're in a lot of pain right now. I'm happy to talk with you about this if you'd like over PM?

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • DreaDrea Posts: 292 The Mix Regular
    Hey Misunderstood,

It seems like you're going through a rough patch at the moment, and we are here to help you overcome this! You're definitely not the only one who feels like this and it common to feel low and feel like you may not have anyone to talk to. The good news is that you DO have many people to talk to, and that would be US! We are all here for you and support you, and we are all listening.

In regards to the articles you linked, you are right that the stereotypes are a problem and people do often attribute men to always being put together and emotionally strong. The good thing is that this is slowly but surely changing and more and more men are opening up about showing their emotions. I have seen loads of videos addressing the issue and more people are aware of how much we all stereotype even if we don't realise! The most important thing is that you stay true to yourself and do what makes you feel comfortable! Hope this helped a little bit and dont hesitate to talk to us whenever you want to talk, whether it be because you're feeling low, or just for a chat!

Have a merry christmas!

Drea:heart:
  • RachelRachel Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Misunderstood

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this right now but as Drea and Azziman have said you are definitely not alone! The stereotypes of both genders are patronising and unnecessary, I completely agree, but at Drea said, people are starting to move past these and be more open about their true feelings.

Although I myself am female and so have very different stereotypes surrounding me, I do completely understand where you are coming from. I more or less have two groups of friends, one of which is all female and one of which is all male. Within the male one a few of them do have mental health problems, but being male means that they feel as though they cannot reach out for professional help or to one another, but of course being the female in the group, I am somehow trusted with this information.

You are in no way alone. What I try to do is tell the guys of how there are other people within the friends group who feel the same way, so to not be afraid to reach out. You have definitely been brave and done the right thing by doing this here. I would definitely recommend staying away from any negative stereotypes or articles on these, and just spend some quality time doing what makes you happy and continue reaching out on here whenever you need it. Hopefully you will build upon the confidence you already have by posting here, and I know you will be able to look past these stereotypes which are so unfairly put upon us.

I'm here if you ever need to talk, and I hope that you have a great New Year!

Rachel xx