Home Anything Goes
Group Chat may be taking place on the boards this evening while we swat some bugs with our software. Head to this thread for the latest information on what's happening, and what to do if Group Chat doesn't go ahead. Thanks for being patient while things are a bit uncertain. :)
Want to discuss Coronavirus/COVID-19? Head to the dedicated subforum .

Dentist and numbing

SystemSystem Posts: 8,600 Staff Moderation Team
I'm just wondering if anyone out there has gotten a filling without numbing and whether it hurt?

I'm seeing the dentist in two weeks time and the last time I saw her she told me I needed a filling, that was 6 months ago ( before uni started).

I've only ever had one filling before and she numbed my mouth but I didn't like the pain of it and the numbness because it lasted quite a while. I'm debating whether or not to get my mouth numbed because of that.

I don't have a fear of the dentist and I had a good relationship with her, I am honest and she can usually tell if things haven't been too good on the b/p side of things so i'm a little nervous because I know I've aggravated it in the last 6 months.

Comments

• AidanAidan Potato Posts: 1,582 Postholic
    I've got fillings too, but only when I've been numbed. I think it feels funny being numbed, but I don't mind because I use it as an excuse to eat nothing but icecream for a day haha
    (In all fairness, it was all I could eat with half my mouth asleep)

I wouldn't suggest having a filling done without having it numbed first. They numb you for a reason- your gum and teeth are full of nerves, it will hurt like hell.

Sorry that I didn't really answer your question, I just think that having numbness for a day is better than pain for potentially a few days : )
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hahaha, it's a pretty a good excuse, I love ice cream

Luckily there's no sensitivity or pain at the moment but I'll bare that in mind :)
  • AidanAidan Potato Posts: 1,582 Postholic
    It's good that it doesn't hurt now, but it's the drill rather than the actual filling that hurts. I think they use it to smooth the hole out a bit. It normally doesn't hurt, but if it catches a nerve you'll REALLY know about it.

So just get it numbed and get free* ice cream after : )

*only free if your mum buys it you
    I've had fillings done both with and without a local anaesthetic injection. There was sharp severe pain from the drilling on the occasions that I'd not had the injection.
    Thanks for the feedback, I've decided to get the numbing injection.