Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Everything around me doesn't seem real! Please help!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi...I don't really know how to explain this but I'm just going to try. When I'm stressed, I go into a really weird mood. It's like I'm not me in these moments. I don't have any emotions or an opinion of anything. Everything around me just doesn't seem real. Time seems slower and I can hear myself talk but it doesn't sound like me. It's kind of like being in a dream but it's also not. When I look at my hand it doesn't seem like my hand despite the fact that I have control over it. If someone asks me a question I just answer with a quiet "I don't know" because I struggle to think completely clearly. It feels as though nothing in the word matters when it happens. I just sort of exist...I'm aware of everything around me but nothing seems to make any sense. I don't know what's happening to me and it's freaking me out...Please help!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hello rainbowbooks,
    Sounds like your going through a rough time. What you have described sounds like dissociation, which is the state of being disconnected from yourself. It is common to feel confused and not feel able to think clearly. Have you considered having a visit to your local doctors and explaining this to them. It that sounds difficult, maybe you can explain this to a close friend/family/teacher first.
    I'm here to support and listen to you.
    Sending you my best,
    Sedz.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    Hey rainbowbooks, and welcome to the community. :wave:

Well done for reaching out to us here, it's a very brave thing to do. What you're going through must be so scary, like an outer body experience almost? Totally understandable to be freaking out under the circumstances!

That said, while we could never diagnose anyone here, I'm inclined to agree with Sedz - what you're describing sounds a lot like dissociation. It's actually fairly common in people who are under a lot of stress or are going through a rough time with their mental health, and we have a few folks here who experience it in different ways. Mind have a great set of information on it which I'd really recommend having a read of. There are also some handy things in there around self-care for when you do find yourself dissociating. :)

Like Sedz also suggested, visiting a GP is a great first step to find out what's happening. They might also be able to refer you on to further treatment if it turns out you need it; fix you up with something long term.

How are you feeling more generally? Have you found stress to be the only trigger, or just a trigger? :chin:
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    It sounds like dissociation, If it is, it's completely harmless and will go away on it's own, in time. The trick is to not focus on the feeling and instead try to engage yourself with things around you (often called 'grounding') by using your senses. Think of what you can see, hear, touch, smell and taste. Really zone in on those feelings. My personal favourite is running cold water over my hands, or drinking a cold drink.

​It can also help to play games or read a book. It can help to distract against the feeling, though you may feel it once you finish these things, though try not to worry.

​I also recommend talking to a doctor or counsellor about this. Dissociation can be related to many things and it can be helpful talking to a professional who can help you to manage triggers, and find the best ways for you to control the dissociation.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.