Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wetting my pants in school.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My name's Jack and I'm 13 years old. I wet my pants in school last week because a teacher wouldn't let me go to the toilet. I have never liked using the toilets in school because you never get any privacy and I only go if I'm really desperate. Most days I just wait until I get home which is normally fine.

My accident happened in the lesson immediately after lunch. I had needed to go when I went in but I thought I could hang on as I always had. Within about 10 minutes though I got really desperate. I asked the teacher if I could go and was just told no because I should of gone at lunch. It got worse and worse and I was to scared to ask again. I was so uncomfortable and I was fidgeting and moving around in my seat. My friend asked me what was wrong and I just said quietly that really needed a wee and that I thought I was going to wet myself.

When it eventually happened it was horrible. I felt warmth in the front of my pants I tried to stop but couldn't. It must of lasted for over a minute and when it eventually stopped I was sat in puddle. I was so upset and embarrassed that I actually cried.

Someone who was sat near me and had seen what had happened started laughing and shouted out so everyone could hear that I'd wet my pants.

I'm so scared that this could happen again and that I will be bullied because of it.

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hi.
    Embarrassing things like this you will have gotten over in a few years and may just be funny. Not to minise it or anything, cause i dont know. I cant say ive been in this situation. But youre still quite young. Hopefully they wont bully you because of it, but if they do it might not be long and is help.

What i would suggest though is that to aviod it from happening again, is to just leave the room without permission. I have just lefted the room for them not letting me after asking about 10 times. It did cause a massive scene. But a more of a funny one than a embarrassing one. And i did get into quite a lot of trouble for leaving without permission. I got put on behaviour report - monitored each lesson, just for this. Which i think is really stupid not that im advocating wrong behaviour but the rules dont really make sense. And think theyre wrong and think many people would agree. And not breaking them could do more harm then good
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    Hey there,

​I'm sorry to hear what happened. It really is unfair when teachers don't let you to go to the toilet.

​Since the incident happened after lunch, I'm wondering if perhaps you can go to the toilet during break times and lunch times? I know using school toilets can be a bit difficult when you don't like them and feel you have no privacy. Perhaps there's a certain time where there are less people using the toilet during these times...e.g. just after the start of lunch time when everyone starts to get food, the toilets may be quieter allowing you more privacy. If you need the toilet after lunch, I like Shaunie's idea of asking and then perhaps leaving, even if you don't have permission- you are only going to the toilet, it's not like you will be skiving off.

​No-one should bully you for what happened. For all they know it might've been something you couldn't control. Hopefully you won't get bullied, and everyone will forget about it. If you do get bullied, is there a teacher you can talk to? You can just mention that you had an accident in class because you weren't allowed to use the toilet and now get bullied because of it. Most schools have a 'zero tolerance' approach to bullying meaning they should do something about it.

​Try not to let what happened put you off school or using the toilets. I know I've not been in exactly your situation, but I did wet myself when I was 5 (which is young, but old enough to go to the toilet) simply because I was too scared to ask the teacher (and they are more lenient when you are younger). I think you'd be surprised by how common (even if people may not readily admit) it can be to not like school toilets and also not want to ask the teacher during lesson time to go as well!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • DistractionDistraction Posts: 439 Listening Ear
    Hi,

It is embarrassing when this happens, a similar situations happened to me in school ( I was 10 and really needed the toilet but was late for class and didn't want to use them so tried to hang onto it, I had to run into the room and the door was at the front of the class, so it happened in front of everyone as I walked in).

I was already getting bullied so it just added to it but it only lasted a short while, until someone else or something more interesting happened, if you do get bullied over it you could always try laughing it off, it is hard but if it comes up you can just say something like "I know right, bet the teacher didn't expect that to happen" or something like that, more or less they'll get board of bringing it up because you find it funny to.

It'll will all be forgotten soon enough, try not to worry about it. Do keep going to class, don't let it put you off, I know some adults who have do the same thing at work, it doesn't matter what age you are, these things happen.

All the best
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for the replies. I have been bullied a bit since it happened and a few people have laughed at me. I don't think I'm going to be able forget about it any time soon. I still don't like going to the toilet in school even though I've started going now and not just trying to hold on till i get home.
  • NikkiNikki Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    Hey Jack, hope you have a good day today! It looks like you've had some great support so far, and would like to add to that. While it might seem embarrassing now, it will not matter a year from now - so always remember that. If you are worried that this incident will happen again, you could think about talking to a teacher, friend, or adult that you trust. Is there anyone you can reach out to?

However, it's great that you are taking the steps to go to the toilet even though still scared to - small steps are key to overcoming your fear!

Keep us updated or if you need to talk we are all here.

Nikki x
    Hi Jack,

My names Greg and I'm 13. I wet my pants about 6 months ago, luckily for me not while I was at school but it was still really embarrassing. I was in the car with my parents and my older brother and we had been on a long car journey (about 4 hours) to visit some relatives. I didn't need a wee before we left and therefore didn't go. I had a bottle of coke with in the car which I drank very quickly. After about an hour I started to feel like I needed to go but it wasn't too bad and I knew that I could hold on for a while so I didn't ask to stop. Eventually it got uncomfortable so I did ask if we could stop. My parents asked me if I could wait to which I replied no. We were on the motorway and the next services was 20 miles away. I was already really desperate and struggling to hold it in. I was complaing loudly even though I knew there was nothing my parents could do.

I managed to hold on until about 10 minutes before the services. It let a little bit out which I was able to stop. The same thing happened again but the next time I couldn't stop it and it seemed to last for ages and it went everywhere. Even my brother was covered in it so we both needed a change of clothes.

I was so ashamed of myself as I know I should of asked to go sooner and I would of been fine.
    Hi Jack,

You could put toilet paper in the front of your undies that way you don't have to worry about asking the teacher to leave or them saying no if you ask could you leave class. I always wear 2 or 3 of my underwear to school because I really hate the toilets at school and its embarrassing to ask the teacher. I always wear 2 or 3 that way I can just do numbers2s in them every day and no one knows
    I'm not sure about that. I think it's unlikely to happen again and I'm not sure toilet paper would make too much difference if it did. I've needed to go a few times during class since it happened and I've always been allowed to go.
    The teacher probably felt bad or got in trouble for not letting you go. I don't like asking to leave during class plus I don't like the toilets at school either.