Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sleep

SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
I find it hard to go sleep and takes me hours. I get really tired but when I try to sleep, i just cant.
I have depression but it didnt really affect me like this. I just use to sleep all the time. But im so tired and drained all the time. Im not getting enough sleep. And it affects my whole day.
Its so very frustating and just making my mood worse. Does anyone have any advice from experience or anything. Or how to distact yourself from thoughts?
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    Hey Shaunie,

​Sorry to hear you are having a hard time trying to sleep. Depression is bad enough but when you can't sleep it's understandable that you'll feel worse during the day.

​I'm wondering how active you are during the day? For me, I find that doing exercise or being active during the day, can help tire me out so that I can have a better nights sleep. I'm also wondering what routine you have each night before sleeping? In general, it's good to try to get around 8 hours of sleep per night. This means planning what time to go to bed to ensure that you can get up on time, not eating/drinking for four hours before sleep, and not using any electronic devices one hour before bed (the light tricks your brain into not feeling sleepy). Generally, make sure your room isn't too light, hot or cold.

​It can help to do relaxing things before bed. Perhaps take a shower or bath, listen to calming music, reading or writing. Distracting yourself from thoughts can be difficult so you might want to try writing your thoughts down. Then if you catch yourself thinking when you are trying to sleep, tell yourself that you'll worry about those things in the morning (and actually give yourself time in the morning to worry about things). If after a while, you still haven't gone to sleep, get up and do something boring for a while until you start feeling tired. Also, try to avoid checking the time as you may end up in the trap of thinking how long you have until you have to get up, which doesn't help.

​You could also try looking in those holistic health stores, or asking your GP or pharmacist for advice on sleep supplements.

​Hope this helps a bit :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Hey Maisy.
    Thank you so very much for the helpful advice and ways to distract!
    Some days of the week im not active at all and that does make it harder to go sleep. So i might start going out on my days off. And my room is always so hot. I have a shower and hot chocolate every time before bed and that made me so tired but not working so well now. But im going to try the relaxing music tonight!
    Do really like they ways to distract yourself and have never thought of these! Especally the one of worring about it in the morning. Definitely will try telling myself these and writing these down to help.

Im looking into medication with my gp, as the herbal ones, kalms, arent working now.

Thank you !!! :)
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi Shaunie :) Just to add - I really struggle to wind down before bed too, but reading is what solves it for me. Sometimes it can take a while but eventually I drift off. I'm also a huge advocate of making sure you're away from technology beforehand, as Maisy says.

Let us know how you get on and hopefully something will help :)
  • Options
    LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Hey Shaunie,

Medication to make you sleep? I wouldn't be able to sleep if I didn't have a slight sedative (Lorazepam)

Ps how many Kalms do you take? I took a lot for them to work but then overdossed on them so couldn't take them any longer.
  • Options
    Thank you Cat and Steph. I did buy "girl on the train" book to read before sleeping. But i spend most of my time re reading a page to start getting focused. So i gave up.
    And Steph did you get checked out for that? I did take more than the recommended for them when they wasnt working. Is lorazepam good?
  • Options
    Yeah I went to A&E and I don't know what I would do without my lorazepam!

Ps I wasent stating the overdose was eight tablets, it was way more, it is safe to take eight Kalms I just found this "Kalms Night is a traditional herbal medicinal product used for the temporary relief of sleep disturbances. Directions: Swallow 4 tablets 30-60 minutes before bedtime. If necessary, on subsequent evenings, swallow 4 additional tablets earlier during the evening" so that = eight, some people are unaware you can take eight so that's why they don't work so I was just pointing out that eight if necessary is ok. So I don't know why my post has been edited, perhaps you thought I meant I overdossed on eight tablets but I didnt.
  • Options
    Good you found something that works!

Yeah i thought it was safe too.
  • Options
    👍💙
  • Options
    Just wanted to say my sleep is getting better. Im still so tired though because i have anemia. But its taking me less time to get sleep. So thank you:)