Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

My boyfriend might be depressed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So me and my boyfriend have been together for over 2 years and 3 months now, but I need some help.

Recently he's been saying a lot about how he feels miserable all the time, and he feels pretty crap every day, and he thinks he may be depressed. He hasn't seen a doctor about it yet, but I think he's planning to go soon. Anyway, it's kinda hard for me to help him because he doesn't talk to me about it, he says he doesn't want to talk to me about it and that he can deal with it by himself. It kinda just makes me feel useless and that he doesn't need me, and it just makes me feel bad about myself. It also, from the way he talks about it, seems like his life is so negative at the moment that I don't even make anything better? Like.. I'd like to think that I at least make him feel a little better, you know?

I don't mean for this to seem like I'm being selfish by making it about me, but I really want to help him to get better but at the same time it's making me feel sad that I can't do much about it.. Any advice?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you know what issues are making him feel miserable?
    Robert wrote: »
    Do you know what issues are making him feel miserable?

No, he just says he doesn't know why he feels the way he does, he just can't help it
    For how long has he felt this way?
    For how long has he felt this way?

a few weeks, couple of months max?
    Did something happen in November or December that could have made him feel bad?
    Did something happen in November or December that could have made him feel bad?

not that I can think of?
    Ask him. Working out what might have triggered it could be crucial to working out how he might be able to recover.
    Hi Chloe,

Hope you feel a little better soon it sounds like you're going through a tough time at the moment.

Understanding depression when you do not suffer from it yourself can be tricky, have you tried reading in to it a little to further your understanding? Here's a good link which might help :)

You said you feel helpless as he doesn't talk to you about whats making him feel down. My advice would be to encourage him to see a doctor. Making the appointment to begin with might be a little daunting for him so I'm sure your help and support with this would be really appreciated. Try to remember the sooner he sees a doctor the sooner he will be on a path to recovery and in the long run I am sure he will look back and see how you helped.

Speak soon, LC_:wave: