Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Maybe someone can help me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay so this is my first time posting but I just wanted to come on and tell about some experiences I have been having lately. So for the last two weeks or so I have been feeling really weird. It's really hard to describe but I'll try and do my best. I have just been feeling really weird, like something is off but mostly like I am not being myself. I feel really numb and zoned out, like I am not myself. When I speak it feels like the words are just coming out and someone else is speaking. Also I feel like time is just fading by or something. Everything is just kind of like a daze and everything feels almost surreal. Like I am not really living but like I am on autopilot or something. It's not that I'm having visions or hallucinations or anything of the kind but I just feel super self aware. My head just feels super numb and faded. I don't feel like I am in danger or like I am out of control I just don't really feel normal. I don't really know how to describe this. Has anyone had any experience with feeling like this or does anyone know what it is or how I can stop it? Sometimes I can kind of distract myself of the feeling, for example when I'm watching TV or something. But when I look back at the day I remember what I've done but it just does not feel like it is me, more like I'm watching someone else? I would love to hear some advice or same experiences!

Comments

• Options
    Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi there rdm1999 and welcome :) I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling like this, is there anything in particular which you think might have triggered this? Maybe around the time it started? And, have you ever experienced anything even slightly like this before?

It could be that you are just a bit run down or something and it will pass, but of course there could be more going on. Are you feeling happy in general?

I'm sure some other posters will be along soon with more advice, but do keep talking to us :)
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    Hey there,

​I have felt similar to what you have described, and as Cat said, am wondering if there might've been anything that triggered this? For me, I feel zoned out and not myself when I am under a lot of stress, not been sleeping well, having an anxiety or panic attack, and have come across reminders of my traumatic past.

It feels like you're not really there, doesn't it? I'm wondering if it's like dissociation (we're not professionals here so can't diagnose) where either things around you don't feel real, or you don't feel real. Although annoying, it's usually harmless and will pass by itself. As you've noticed being able to distract yourself can help...perhaps playing games or reading might help? It's good to get your brain engaged to distract yourself. Also, as hard as it is, try not to think about the feeling as I find that if I do that it just stays longer. What can really help is grounding techniques. This includes using your senses, like touch, taste, smell and hearing to bring you back into yourself. Focus on different textures of what you can touch or taste, or really listen to the sounds you can hear or name objects that you can see and really focus on the detail. For me, I really like the sensation of running cold water on my hands to bring me back to myself.

​Hope this helps a bit and that the feelings goes away for you soon :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.