Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Academic Writing

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone has experience of academic writing and any tips they could share. I've got an upcoming class test - they have given us an essay question in advance and I'm trying to prepare. I've to use different sources including academic papers.

There is just so much to write about and so little time to do it in , hence I'm trying to make an essay plan. But at the same time as its uni it needs to be a bit discursive e.g. can't just state facts all the time, must include eg. one article said this, but the other said this (contradiction) and pointing out similarities, all at the same time as answering the question.

I'm really struggling to try and put everything together as an essay- ive got lots of good sources, wrote an essay plan and now I'm attempting to write it, but it just feels so "immature" for a university essay e.g. it sounds like I'm just in school stating all the facts. I write bits and thats what it seems like, and theres so many articles etc. I can't remember info from the top of my head to be able to compare it to other info.

Please- I'm really struggling with this essay !!! :/

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    Hey, how is the essay going?

I remember writing essays in uni, and having the same feeling as you- is what I'm writing academic enough? Does it feel like a university essay or a school essay? I found that actually, it's better to try not to compare essays and wonder if they feel immature, as often it's just our negative thoughts rather than a fault with the actual essay.

The essay plan is a good idea! Do you know the length of time the exam will be? If you do, try to write an essay, and time how long it takes. Then you can work out whether you need to include more or less.

What I found helpful was to make a bullet point plan of the points I want to include in the essay, and then quotes from sources to back up my points. Then I explain the quotes. It's ok to split your essay in half with agree and disagree arguments, or make one point, and then make a counter argument straight after. Either way is fine as long as you are able to make the argument and back it up with sources. If you are writing the essay from memory, then it might be worthwhile considering less sources (if that's possible) as you may have to remember references and such too.

Also, look at the marking criteria or ask friends or university tutors if your stuck!

Hope this helps a bit :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Hi Masiy, thanks for your tips!

I got some more of my essay written, and I actually felt it wasn't too bad and then I looked at other coursework for uni and I just got reminded omg I never wrote about this or that etc. I've barley done any essay so far, did a bit of my introduction and some of my first paragraph.

It's 45mins, thing is I can't just write it all timed, as I'm struggling to write it timed- it took me an hour to write less than a paragraph and a few introduction sentences. :( so I was planning on writing a full essay and that means in exam I'd know kinda what to write as I've done it before.

I understand , but I know it's more than my thoughts as I do struggle with essay writing so much. I'm trying to do bullet point plan but finding it so hard, but I'll try your idea with sources.

The difficulty is it isn't an argumentative essays, it's more like regurgitating knowledge but at the same time we need to say, such and such a paper had evidence of this but this other paper disagreed etc.

Yeah we need to include shorthand references eg. (Smith, D.,2015) but don't need to write the full references at the end thankfully.

Also thing is my friends are struggling to write it as is, as there's so much info you could include so talking to them hasn't helped that much. And one of my friends just wrote about one cell type but that definitely wouldnt be enough.

My essay question is on the immune response and malaria (don't want to post exact question, I case my classmates type it up and see my post here lol).

And basically they have given us a basic guideline (4 things to include in the essay)- so I'd need to include that. I've broken down into 2 parts as, in the immune response there is two types of immune responses - innate and adaptive. Then within it there's loads of stuff that happens, and loads of cells involved, so it's hard to summarise a lot. And then the question itself isn't an argumentative question so it's hard to get discussion in it, without regurgitating all my class notes in a different wording (that's what I need to avoid).

Also the marking criteria is up, but it's not very helpful for me. Just scares me by saying they look for the essay to be concise etc. - in science they hate flowery language so they like it to be very concise eg.

"People who swim daily have seen benefits to their heart" if I was hypothetically saying that (totally made up by the way)- they'd want it to be concise so would probably re-phrase it as "Swimming daily benefits the heart".

Completely irrelevant statement but I'm trying to explain how concise it need to be. When I read research papers etc. The wording is always very straight to the point. And although I'm learning ways to edit my writing to make it more concise , I still struggle a lot (as you probably see from my posts I make, my writing style is very wordy and people struggle to make sense of it a lot, hence I struggle with writing so much"
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Remember Apandav, this is a new skill and you're learning. You've not had to do it before so it will be difficult. It sounds like you're coming along well with it :)

Just to check also - when you are paraphrasing something (e.g. Imagine your swimming daily benefits the heart comment) you would put it in '...' Not "...". Maybe this will allow you some of the freedom you need and relieve pressure of trying to remember quotes word perfect? You'll still give the reference after.

Is there a writing skills support service at your uni? They might be able to give you some hints and tips on your style too.
  • Options
    This stupid thing is really upsetting me :crying: I can't believe I've been crying over an essay!!! All the things in my life and the one thing upsetting me the most right this moment is this stupid essay!

Just got back from seeing my mentor at uni, after discussing with her- she suggested mindmap so im going to try that. And she suggested maybe just don't write all the essay as i wont remember it all in the exam and just focus on making a good plan!!!
  • Options
    Honestly, I know you will all think this is too far BUT this essay right now is giving me suicidal and impulsive thoughs :/ (I have EUPD/BPD so small things can get out of hand).
  • Options
    My mentor (she works for disability service btw, I only get one due to MH issues) says I would certainly be eligible for extra time. I'm not sure though, I just feel bad like as I don't have any learning disabilities and don't want to feel I get an advantage over everyone else :( but at same time if it eases me maybe I should take it, what do you guys think? I already get a room alone (thankfully)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    apandav wrote: »
    My mentor (she works for disability service btw, I only get one due to MH issues) says I would certainly be eligible for extra time. I'm not sure though, I just feel bad like as I don't have any learning disabilities and don't want to feel I get an advantage over everyone else :( but at same time if it eases me maybe I should take it, what do you guys think? I already get a room alone (thankfully)

Hey!

I think there's nothing wrong with taking it, I get quite a few allowances for my exams which I don't technically need but its nice to have them as a fall back. Even if you never use the extra time (for me, I'm allowed to leave after the normal amount of time is up) if having it there will make you relax more its not a bad thing, and if the worst does happen its good to have to fall back on, whereas if you don't take it and did happen to need it, its a lot harder to sort out.

Also worth remembering that (at my uni at least) there's quite a strict process for getting allowances approved, so if uni agree that it would help its worth taking it, they wouldn't approve it if they didn't think you really need it.
  • Options
    ninaballet wrote: »

Hey!

I think there's nothing wrong with taking it, I get quite a few allowances for my exams which I don't technically need but its nice to have them as a fall back. Even if you never use the extra time (for me, I'm allowed to leave after the normal amount of time is up) if having it there will make you relax more its not a bad thing, and if the worst does happen its good to have to fall back on, whereas if you don't take it and did happen to need it, its a lot harder to sort out.

Also worth remembering that (at my uni at least) there's quite a strict process for getting allowances approved, so if uni agree that it would help its worth taking it, they wouldn't approve it if they didn't think you really need it.

I decided to take it, at least it would mean I get a minute to calm down if I have to, without wasting my time.
  • Options
    plugitin wrote: »
    Remember Apandav, this is a new skill and you're learning. You've not had to do it before so it will be difficult. It sounds like you're coming along well with it :)

Just to check also - when you are paraphrasing something (e.g. Imagine your swimming daily benefits the heart comment) you would put it in '...' Not "...". Maybe this will allow you some of the freedom you need and relieve pressure of trying to remember quotes word perfect? You'll still give the reference after.

Is there a writing skills support service at your uni? They might be able to give you some hints and tips on your style too.

Thanks for the tips, we don't really need to include specific quotes, just say ...... Gave evidence....... Blah blah
  • Options
    This essay stuff still isn't going well.......infact nevermind the essay my emotions aren't going well :( it's affecting my uni work! I just feel like giving up on all this
  • Options
    Turns out, it took me to get to my worst a few weeks ago and eventually my tablet calmed me down. Then I managed to rearrange it AND I HAVE AN ESSAY I'M HAPPY WITH :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: well I just learned a plan version to it!!

And now the test is today, and I feel ready to face it!!! I remember most of it really well, and I was practicing speaking my essay to my mentor, and she said she's proud of me as I've came so far and she thinks it has a good structure :) I felt so happy, I've suprised myself. No matter how I get on today, I'm proud that its my best and happy with what I have done personally!

Test starts at 9:30 and I just want to do it! So glad I get a room to my own, so it wont be a tense atmosphere, and I do get 25% extra time so I can break if I need to :)

Wish me luck :)
  • Options
    Sorry I hadn't seen this earlier!

I'm glad that you had an essay that you are happy with! And that you felt ready and prepared for the test! :)

That's definitely a good attitude to go in with- no matter what happens, you have done really well!

Best wishes, hope the test went well :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Thanks, test went okay- well some bits good, some bits bad-

I slightly mucked up a bit by missing something out (test nerves) and my conclusion (I made up on spot) was crap (like I could have wrote it in primary school haha) - as I had like just over 5mins to write it and my mind went blank :/

But the rest of it went well, and really happy with my intro and some of my arguments!

Hopefully I've passed but still awaiting results!
  • Options
    Hopefully you've passed!

​I know what it's like to miss parts out and make the conclusion up on the spot. But I'm glad to hear that the rest went well and that you are really happy with some of your arguments :)
  • Options
    I am totally shocked with the result I got, I wasn't expecting that ( I got 80%!!).
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Well done apandav!
  • Options
    Thank you
This discussion has been closed.