Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Epilepsy

LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
So me and my home support worker went to the doctors yesterday and I told the doctor again about the pressure I feel on one side of my head which really hurts (left hand side) and he said it sounds like I have focal seziures. So his trying me on a small dose of of antiepeliptic drug.

Who would have thought it! Maybe I have my answers?!

Comments

• MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 611 Incredible Poster
    Hey there,

​I've seen your other threads about the rape (really sorry you went through that). I'm just wondering if it's possible to get a second opinion on the seizure? Doctors mostly deal with the medical aspect, but there are seizures that are 'non-epileptic' and can result from trauma. They have similar symptoms such as spacing out, repetitive actions, not remembering things etc. and are called 'dissociation'. The difference is that therapy such as counselling and CBT can help with seizures relating to trauma. I think doctors may over prescribe (from personal experience and reading others experience online) anti epileptic medicine and sometimes it's not helpful if the cause of the seizures hasn't been established.

But otherwise, if it really is a focal seizure, it's great that you've got some answers and a treatment! :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Woooooha are you a doctor?

Sorry haha you sound like it from that paragraph.

I had a 20minute (which is usually 10) consultation time with the doctor (as we asked for double time). IT'S NOT DISSOCIATION! I KNOW what that is. You do not get pressure in your head from dissociation.

I agree with the doctor it sounds exactly right. I've done some research on focal seziures and it fits in perfectly.

So yayyy
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound so doctor-ish XD​

No, I'm not a doctor. I was sexually abused in childhood and I volunteer with people who have also gone through trauma. I find that when I have a flashback or dissociation I get a terrible headache with it. It can be really hard to distinguish between panic attacks, dissociation and epilepsy, and it's common to be misdiagnosed. Before my dad (he had Alzheimer's) was put an anti-epileptic medication, he had to have an EEG to make sure that it was epilepsy. I just wanted to make sure that you're getting the right help, that's all :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Ah ok,

IT IS NOT A HEADACHE definitely not! I get headaches on my forehead. This PAIN AND HURT is down the left hand side of my head.

It's on the left hand side of my head and that is why the doctor said "focal" seizure.

It's not just from the 20minute consultation either. I've been to the doctors about this aganising pressure before.

Sorry you was sexually abused in childhood.

I have flashbacks and I had kind of my first "out of body experience" on Monday it was the worst it has been yet I connected with RAINN and they helped me ground myself.

The flashbacks, panic attacks and dissociation (which I have dissociation identity disorder DID) are NOT the pressure in my head.

I believe their is a person living on the left hand side of my head. He pushes so so hard against my head IT BLOODY HURTS it stops my thinking and eveything and he represents the voices I hear too. If I drilled a hole in my head I bet a person would fall out (and I have serious thoughts about doing this).
    Oh ok, that makes sense then! (I currently have a headache, so I'm a little slow today :p )

​Sorry to hear that you had your first out of body experience on Monday...they feel really horrible, don't they? Glad to hear that you connected with RAINN and they helped you to ground yourself- that's a very good skill to learn :)

It's good that you are able to distinguish between the different types of pressure in your head. I haven't been diagnosed, so to me, it all feels the same lol

It must definitely feel very painful for you, and I'm sorry you have to go through that. It also sounds like the pain disrupts you too. I'm really glad that the doctor was able to diagnose you though, and I really hope that the anti-epileptic medicine works for you! :)
    Haha its ok 😊

It was horrible Monday and it's nearly Monday again 😔

Yep I can definitely distinguish between a headache and what I'm suffering.

It is very painful, it bloody hurts a lot. So I'm hoping the AE will relax the pressure.

Thankyou😊
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Hey Lost_sense *hug*

Sounds like it's a relief to finally know what this pressure feeling in your head is, hopefully the medication will work well for you :)