Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Brexit

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
RAX3LtC.png
[Taken from the BBC]

So, the results are in.

However you voted (or whether you voted or not), it's safe to say it's a pretty big moment in the history of the UK and the Europe; Britain has voted to leave the EU and the Prime Minister has resigned.

How is everyone feeling about Brexit?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Let's be honest, we were fucked no matter what the outcome. I'm just tired of all the bitchiness between people on Facebook because they had differing opinions. Let's just see how it all works out, rather than criticising it before it begins
    Honestly, this is very interesting as an A level geography student. Yes there are arguments for and against this decision. Personally, I would have voted to stay if I had been born a day earlier (Yes I turn 18 today, the day after the vote, trust my luck). However, I can see the benefits in leaving the EU, I just would have preferred to remain due to how it's my generation (16-18 year olds) who I believe will get the worst of it. For example, I am currently starting to write up my applications for university next year. The universities I was to choose, I chose because they had partnerships with other universities and I could therefore study abroad for a year (which I reaaalllyy wanted to do). However, many of these partnerships are due to being within the EU. It makes me wonder if I will still be able to study abroad, or if it will be unable to go forward due to leaving the EU. This has me having to rethink my plans for next year, which is hard enough as an A level student... Okay I'm done.

That was just an example on my viewpoint, I have maaannyy more arguments but I'm gonna be quiet now.
    Don't worry if you have another opinion to me, I won't take offence or argue it back or anything (unlike some). As I said, I understand both the positives and negatives, it's very interesting to watch from a geographical perspective.

:)
  • Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    All i can say is that im so fucking pissed off - woke up to such shit news, yes i voted remain to keep my future safe and now its all just falling to pieces,i cant believe im saying this but im so annoyed that David Cameron is leaving, apparently Boris Johnson wants to replace him and god knows how he will run the country; i have been at college from 9am till 2pm and i have done no work, me and my teacher were talking for hours on hours about how much our country is fucked up - like im off to spain very soon and the euro is sooooo bad.
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • RavenclawRavenclaw Posts: 74 Budding Regular
    I am devastated. Feel like I'm grieving in a lot of ways - maybe that's stupid but it's true, because the EU has been such an enormous influence in my life and in my family's life. Losing our link to the EU is going to have such huge consequences (for example, putting my dad's job at risk and therefore my family's income, and also it takes away my dream career of working for the EU commission), and I don't think any of those consequences are going to be good. My first reaction was sobbing and panicking (literally had a panic attack and couldn't breathe), then anger, now just exhaustion and honestly a general feeling of mistrust and dislike towards this country and all those who made this decision on the back of fear, xenophobia, anger at the government and complete misinformation. I'm off to Spain next week and honestly am kind of ashamed to be associated with Britain right now. Hope I get good at languages really quickly so I can hopefully escape to somewhere in Europe asap. :(
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    To be honest, I'm completely shocked at this result. Remain was winning when I was watching the results last night...
    It's our generation it affects. It was mostly older voters who voted to leave. It does not affect their generation as much as it affects ours.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    Angry. Ok, most of the politicians are probably corrupt and EU definitely isn't perfect, but staying was the safest option. I can't imagine a UK being isolated and under the control of those who only wanted Brexit to happen so they could take over and make their own rules and taxes. They don't care about the vulnerable or the poor. And yet, they misled them, telling them about the £350 mil and how that could go to the NHS, when Farage backtracked and they probably wanted to privatise the NHS in the first place. We will be worse off, if this is the case. Then the scare mongering of blaming the immigrants. I have relatives who live off benefits because they believe they are better off that way rather than working, and they voted leave because they are under the impression that Brexit would stop immigrants coming and taking jobs (they aren't even looking for work, so why that matters, I don't know), benefits and council housing. My local council has benefited a lot from EU funding, and yet, the majority wanted to leave. We are going to lose all that, and I can't see the next government caring about us or funding us. Then the older people. They want a 'strong Britain' like it was years ago. But Britain has changed. We don't have the industries that we used to have anymore, e.g. coal. The EU has supported us a lot, and without that, and without an actual plan for our economy, we will be screwed. Even human rights and certain laws that have protected us in the EU, will get taken away, and that is absolutely terrifying.

I want Scotland to leave the UK, and still have membership with the EU. I want the same to happen for Ireland too. They have the right ideas. Real shame about Wales, having had so much funding from the EU. And yeah, maybe in the future, I will leave the UK too.

Ironically, if those who voted remain kick up a fuss on social media, we get called all sorts of names, when the truth is, we are just genuinely scared about the future. We have every right to voice our opinion. It's a huge decision that affects so many other countries too, not something we can just 'accept and move on'.

I feel so sorry for the poor after being duped, misled and fed lies into voting to leave. Big mistake. The rich will get richer, and the poor will get poorer, no matter what was 'promised'.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Maisy wrote: »

Ironically, if those who voted remain kick up a fuss on social media, we get called all sorts of names, when the truth is, we are just genuinely scared about the future. We have every right to voice our opinion. It's a huge decision that affects so many other countries too, not something we can just 'accept and move on'.

I think the reason 'remainers' are getting called all sorts of names is because of all the abuse those who voted remain have given to those who voted to leave, it's a two way street. You can voice your opinion by all means, but just by looking at my facebook and social media the amount of remainers kicking off at the leavers is far more than the other way around. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about it now. We just need to work hard to make sure the country turns out okay, fighting each other isn't going to fix anything. There's no need to fall out with friends/family because you have differing political opinions.
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    Hiccup wrote: »

I think the reason 'remainers' are getting called all sorts of names is because of all the abuse those who voted remain have given to those who voted to leave, it's a two way street. You can voice your opinion by all means, but just by looking at my facebook and social media the amount of remainers kicking off at the leavers is far more than the other way around. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about it now. We just need to work hard to make sure the country turns out okay, fighting each other isn't going to fix anything. There's no need to fall out with friends/family because you have differing political opinions.

On my Facebook, all I've seen is intelligent debate from the remain side, no abuse. Sure there's bound to be differences, but two wrongs don't make a right e.g. if a remainer is abusing the leavers, why should the leave abuse them back? If we are meant to be 'stronger together' they should just ignore it. Leavers aren't going to complain either, that's why it looks like the remain is causing trouble.

Sorry, I'm just really angry.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Angry, upset and disappointed. Trying to come to terms with what has happened and where I will go from here and whether to join my friends in moving abroad.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I voted Leave. Not because I have worries about immigration, and not because I have an irrational fear or dislike of foreigners. I'm not against closer ties with other European nations and I'm not against a union of sorts, I just can't back THIS European Union which has fundamental issues with democracy. If reform had been on the cards then I may have voted remain, but it wasn't, so I didn't. :)
    Weekender Offender 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Skive wrote: »
    I voted Leave. Not because I have worries about immigration, and not because I have an irrational fear or dislike of foreigners. I'm not against closer ties with other European nations and I'm not against a union of sorts, I just can't back THIS European Union which has fundamental issues with democracy. If reform had been on the cards then I may have voted remain, but it wasn't, so I didn't. :)

Cool to have a leaver in on the discussion - would be interesting to hear more about the 'fundamental issues with democracy' you mention if you're up for elaborating? :chin:
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    I voted to stay, the majority of my country did too.

I just remembered a lot of stuff about the EU from school so based it on that. Also being part of the EU means free roaming , which may mean we can no longer roam between other EU countries (but who knows may be an agreement of some sort), so assuming that would mean visas?

In my household both me and my dad voted stay and mum voted leave, so was divided. And now this has lead to a huge hype in my country (Scotland) over how the majority of Scots voted to stay, but rest of UK stay which is just complicated.

In saying that I can see the immigration point of view .....