Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Staying in touch with all the teachers and the other members of staff at school

Sholay09Sholay09 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
Hi I am 18 years old and my name is Shola and I have recently looked up some members of staff on Facebook and I am worried that once I leave school next year at age 19 I am scared that good relationship and support would end and I don't really want that to suddenly go so that's why I have looked at some of them on Facebook and I just wanted to ask how can I still stay in touch with them by using another way without using social media because not all of them use any social media and still have that kind of relationship and support without worrying about it that much at all?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Most teachers will probably not want to be in contact with former pupils.

I strongly advise you remove your street name and number from your profile and replace it with the city, town, village or county you live in.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    You could ask them for their school email addresses to keep in contact with them? I stayed in contact with a few teachers for a while after school - some are more interested than others in the progress of ex pupils so perhaps be prepared that it may not work out.

Perhaps you could look at finding other support in your area, e.g. through the doctors or a youth service (you could try the local advice finder here: http://www.themix.org.uk/get-support/find-local-services)? I know it can be hard to move away from support you are used to having, so do look after yourself.
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hi Shola,

Transitioning after school can be difficult and it is understandable that you want to keep in contact with some teachers as you have known them throughout your school life. For some teachers, they might prefer to give out their school email addresses to students who ask for it. Depending on the school, there might be some restrictions to students about using a personal email account or Facebook account to keep in contact with students. I think it is good that you are looking for a way to contact them outside of social media - as many teachers change their name's on Facebook so students can't find them.

If you are ever struggling, or need someone to talk to there is a wide range of support services available. In particular The Samaritans are able to discuss almost anything with you.

Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you seen The Inbetweeners Movie? Listen to what Mr. Gilbert says to his sixth-form pupils at their last assembly before they leave. Although it's fictional, some teachers feel that way about their pupils to some extent.