Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weight Loss/Obsessing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I started taking my Epilepsy medication on Monday, When i saw my neurgologist he said the medication he was prescribing me had a side effect of weight loss and make sure i keep my eye on my weight, So i weighed myself before taking it monday & then I weighed myself tuesday and noticed I'd lost 4lbs, and now i keep weighing myself everytime I go to the toilet, this morning I noticed I'd put 1lbs on after having breakfast. now I'm panicnking but i keep reading that people have lost like 22lbs in the first month of taking it...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    From the title of your thread and what you have said it sounds like you're worried about starting to obsess about this potential weight loss. At the same time the neurologist has told you to keep an eye on it - so it's a tricky balance. Do you have another appointment soon?

I wonder, how would it feel to take the scales out of the bathroom in a sort of 'out of sight out of mind' way to begin with and perhaps just keep an eye on it once a week or once every other week and also just by using your own intuition and how you feel in yourself?

With them right there every time you use the loo it's almost an invitation to that part of you that seems drawn to it. What do you think? It's also really natural to gain and lose a pound or two all the time as we eat, exercise, sleep etc. so the small changes are really normal.

Did they give you any advice on how to manage your eating as your body gets used to the medication?
    My next appointment with the neurologist isn't until September, I can't take the scales out of the bathroom as they're my housemates scales, we do have two toilets I can use and I do tend to use the one with the scales in, not because it has the scales in just because its warmer, it doesnt have a window in and the other one people leave the window wide open and its about minus 10 degrees in there (even in summer), I weighed myself again today I've lost another 2lbs. My BMI is currently now classed as underweight, but I don't think it is, I think its pretty healthy as I'm on the boarder. and I'm not really thin, I'm just slim.

He told me to binge on chocolate & junk whilst taking my meds.
    My scales have broken in the bathroom, How am i supposed to weigh myself now? Last time I checked i'd put on 1lb...Now im panicking as this was two days ago and ive eaten.
    My BMI is 17. I keep checking this. BMI keeps telling me I'm underweight...But I don't see the issue...Or don't see me being underweight, I think i'm a healthy weight.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    Redhead wrote: »
    My BMI is 17. I keep checking this. BMI keeps telling me I'm underweight...But I don't see the issue...Or don't see me being underweight, I think i'm a healthy weight.

You seem confident that you're a healthy weight, and that's great, so it might be worth trying not to focus on the figures (and the dreaded scales), as much as they can make you a little fanatical. I guess the main thing is that it isn't causing any health problems for you, right?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.