Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I CAN'T STOP EATING

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is becoming more and more of a problem lately. I'm not even hungry, I'm just so stressed out I just eat continuously, even if I feel sick. It isn't even stress eating anymore, it's stress giving myself a heart attack. I genuinely can't stop and of course it isn't healthy food because that's expensive (although I do like fruit a lot) so I'm like actually doing really bad.

I'm not usually like this, I usually eat barely anything. Help?

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Time to break this down - what is making you feel stressed? Is there anything in your situation that you could change, e.g. What is making you stressed, where this is taking place or how easy it is to get food?

In terms of stress, are you making sure you are taking breaks away from whatever you are finding stressful and taking adequate time out? Otherwise the situation can become overwhelming and the stress builds up inside you. The mix has some good tips on dealing with exam stress here - http://www.themix.org.uk/work-and-study/study-and-exam-tips/exam-stress-1241.html might be worth checking it out and seeing if it helps? :)

It's not necessarily a problem if it's only short term, but if it is worrying you (which it clearly is) then it's time to think about the circumstances. Could you try chewing gum, drinking water or even go for a walk when you feel like eating and you aren't hungry?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm stressed over pretty much everything lately. I have AS exams in 9 days, my family has fallen to pieces and my parents are completely against me and I lost my friend and girlfriend in one go. It isn't really going great.

It's fairly easy for me to get food, I just buy it from the shop across from my school. I eat it when I'm in school or at home.

I take breaks from revision (a lot more than I should). I sleep through like 80% of my free time at home so it definitely isn't levels of revision.

Yeah, it worries me because I did this this time last year and it stuck through out sixth form and now it's just increasing the amounts again. I can't really go for walks since I'm at school and it's evening at home. Drinking water doesn't help and chewing gum isn't allowed in my school. So I'm kinda stuck...
    Hey Joel,

I'm so sorry to hear about your family and how tough things are right now, you have loads going on and it must be really really hard coping with it all at once and trying to manage. It sounds like turning to food is helping you just now - I wonder what you get from the eating? Does it calm you down somehow? Or something else?

Sometimes if you can work out what feelings are behind it you can replace it with other activities that have a similar affect if you need to. You might also want to try keeping a food diary to see if any particular situations or times of day are better or worse for you to help you figure things out.

Can you think of anything that helped in the past? If there was one thing that would help right now what might it be?

We're here to help as much as we can :)
    Yeah, eating seems to calm me down somehow. I'm rather strange like that. I know it's worst in evenings since I've been stressed all day and just want to chill.

There never really was anything to help with this in the past. I just kinda let it happen I guess.
    I don't think that makes you strange Joel - in fact, eating to deal with difficult feelings like stress is a common coping mechanism for some people. You can read more about it on b-eat's website here: https://www.b-eat.co.uk/about-eating-disorders/types-of-eating-disorder/emotional-overeating

They also have a helpline open Mon-Wed 1-4pm you can call if you'd like to talk it through with someone, they may be able to suggest some healthier coping tips as well. B-eat are a charity that support young people and adults with all kinds of eating issues, the helpline info is here: https://www.b-eat.co.uk/support-services/helpline

I wonder what else might help you to calm down? Does anyone else have any ideas? It's good to realise that evenings tend to be the more difficult time, making some plans for the evenings for distractions might help?

Let us know how you're getting on,
    Jo

I'll have a look at their website, but I won't call them. I find it really hard to call people I don't know so I'm not doing that.

I don't really know what else calms me down like eating does. I play games and stuff but the stress just returns after. I play my guitar to calm down, but if it's mentioned again, I lose it. So it's really hard. I don't really have any plans to make in the evenings since all my friends are busy due to exams and stuff...
    Hey @Joel - just wanted to check in and see how things are going?

@Jo7 I'm still eating a ton haha but stressed out really.
    Aww, sounds like it's really connected to the stress. How long until you finish your exams?
    @Jo7 I finished my last one on Monday. Yet I am still eating so damn much.
    Hey Joel, glad to hear the exams are over, that must be a relief?

Do you have plans for the summer?

I saw you mentioned you don't like to call people, I wonder if you would consider chatting to a counsellor online? Kooth offer free online counselling to people in these areas: https://www.kooth.com/about I thought it was worth mentioning in case you're living in any of those locations, you would be entitled to some free online support.

In your first post you mentioned that there is a lot on your plate right now with family and friends so go easy on yourself and do keep posting in your other thread if you need to offload about that.

@Jo7 yeah but now I'm panicking over results and we've gone straight into A2 work which is really not giving me a chance to come round.

I don't have any plans for the summer, no.

I don't live in any of those areas sadly, despite how long the list is. Trust my luck...
  • StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    hey Joel, :wave:

That sounds like it's quite a fast turnaround - you said you've gone straight into A2 work and its not given you chance to come round yet. When do you break up for summer?

On the kooth website it links to a page where you if you don't live in any of those areas you can put in your postcode to look for local services which be be helpful here

I break up in 6 weeks now. I just need chance to come round properly really.

I looked at the postcode thing and nothing free is available in my area and I can't afford to pay it.
  • StephSteph Posts: 448 Listening Ear
    Hi Joel, :wave:

ah sorry to hear that there wasn't anything available in your area Joel. How are things at the moment with you? were you able to have a look at the link Jo sent before here? There's also another website here about overeating which might be useful to look at too.

Hope this helps. :)