Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Teenage inventor says: 'ditch your smartphone'

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
Ann Makosinski, a young woman who invented a torch powered solely by the heat of your hand, has been in the news this week because of her beliefs about the possibilities in our lives if we could get back the time we 'waste' on our phones.

She recently did a Tedx talk on the topic and says:
The main moral of my talk is, next time you pick up your phone, think about all the possibilities off it,

Here's the full story from the Independent for those who want to read more:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a6816626.html

There's something quite compelling about this statement imo:
she was never allowed a mobile phone. “My parents didn’t want me distracted and playing games on it, because that would be wasting time,” she recalls. “So to entertain myself I made my own toys. Not being given everything encourages you to create .... That was one of the first steps for me learning to invent things.”

So my question to you.

What would you say in answer to Ann if you were to have a conversation with her?

Would you chatter away enthusiastically about the benefits of smartphones (and if so, why?) or would you perhaps be asking her for tips on how you could get in the habit of using your phone less?

(Thread started by **Helen** :) )

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are so many issues caused by smartphones that we would be better without but I think the benefits far outweigh them. As a college student, I am expected to be contactable by my tutors at any time in the day - so this means having my emails on my phone. I use trains regularly and my phone tells me if my train is running late or is cancelled. It can act as a sat nav, camera, calculator, calender, method of payment, notebook, book, and obviously a phone for text/call/video call. I would 100% be lost without it because it literally does everything I could ever possibly need. It's simply just easier - why carry around 10 different things when everything could be on one device?
  • Options
    Enchanted wrote: »
    There are so many issues caused by smartphones that we would be better without but I think the benefits far outweigh them. As a college student, I am expected to be contactable by my tutors at any time in the day - so this means having my emails on my phone. I use trains regularly and my phone tells me if my train is running late or is cancelled. It can act as a sat nav, camera, calculator, calender, method of payment, notebook, book, and obviously a phone for text/call/video call. I would 100% be lost without it because it literally does everything I could ever possibly need. It's simply just easier - why carry around 10 different things when everything could be on one device?

This!
    My phone is essential to me, mainly for travel updates as I catch a train to my girlfriends every weekend so without this I'd be stuck for sure, also because I use it in order to contact my teachers and my place of work if I'm unable to make it it. My parent's require me to have a phone so in case something terrible happened or I find myself in danger, I have a way of contacting any help that I need. It's my safety net when I'm having a panic attack, it lets me contact people who know how to calm me down and make sure I'm okay when the people around me are clueless. It's not simply a distraction or something for fashion, it's something that could potentially save my life one day
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    As someone who has just picked up their smartphone because she's bored on the train... I fully understand what Ann is saying.
    It's really convenient for trains and staying in contact like others have said and communication on the go, but I don't really play games or stuff like that because I have a hundred and one other things I could be doing.

I first noticed this a few months ago because I'd got in the habit of not taking books or stuff to do with me on longer trips so since then I've been trying to not just waste time by just pointlessly checking Facebook repeatedly etc.
  • Options
    I completely understand the point being made. I've been moaned at for not being glued to my phone. Sorry.

I used to use trains a lot and don't drive. Because of this, I would catch a train and get picked up at the other end. It meant I could text if I was going to be late and I was able to check the train times.

It's one of those things which can be useful; but we rely on too much. Because of this, I think we also expect others to be glued to them all the time.