Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Questions I want to ask my GP........ But don't feel I can!

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
So I've booked a GP appointment for next Friday. I need to re-order my prescription but I decided I wanted to make an appointment. I have questions I would like to ask my GP. Thing is I feel really anxious about it and don't know if I can.
Any tips/advice would be much appreciated!

Also I feel that posting what I would like to ask my GP on this thread, would be a next step. Here goes:

How long do you think I will be taking antidepressants for?
Did the MH team I saw for the assessment email you (they said they would)? What did they say?
What do you think my issue is?
What happens after therapy - what if I feel it's not enough/ I need more support?
Also wanted to ask some specific things in relation to the medication I'm taking.

I also feel there is something I should tell my GP. It's kinda mental health related but it's something that's happened since my childhood. Basically when I was younger my school/ nursery thought I had a developmental disorder. There's one aspect that contributed to this. Thing is it still affects me to this day. I don't feel I can say as I'm very ashamed/ embarrassed. But it's something I don't feel is normal, especially for someone of my age. My parents don't know it still happens, they used to tell me off about it when I was a kid. It's not socially acceptable. I've learned to control it throughout my life but it still happens.

Also, I wish I could tell my GP that I'm obsessed with researching health related things online (I think it's anxiety related).

I've never admitted that on thesite as I'm very embarrassed/ ashamed. I wouldn't dream of telling my GP or therapist but I wish I could.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Write down what you've said here and take it with you.
  • Options
    Also, if the thing that you're referring to is bedwetting - then tell your GP about it. It's a surprisingly common issue, right the way through teenage years and can have a significant impact on people's mental well being as they worry about keeping it a secret. It's also often very treatable with a bit of medical input.

If it's something completely different, then ignore all my comments - apart from the bit about telling your GP. You're asking them to help solve a problem, but not telling them all of it. It's a bit like asking them to bake a cake, but not giving them all the ingredients.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies!

I guess I will ask my GP some of the original questions I have, probably write it down. But I don't know if I have the guts to ever say the other stuff, maybe in time. Even if it's for just reassurance.

It's not bedwetting. I feel what is is isn't normal not even for a child never mind an adult (but worse for someone older). They thought it wasn't normal when I was a child so it definitely is not when I'm 18. My parents used to tell me off for it, but I didn't realise I was doing it. I still feel I can't cope with out it, but I've learnt to limit it to when I'm home alone. It is not socially acceptable ie. If I was that way in public people would think I had issues. I'm not stupid but it makes me feel that way and I feel abnormal.

This is one of the reasons they thought I had issues as a child. Other things were I didn't talk to anyone, poor motor skills, I walked abnormally, and other stuff. My parents fought to prove I was normal and from what I've heard they were probably in denial. This is what makes me think maybe I'm not right. Like I'm still very clumsy, I walk into people a lot when I'm out. Although socially things have improved a lot I still struggle in big groups. And the other embarrassing non socially acceptable thing still exists.
  • Options
    Hi apandav,

Its great that you've booked an appointment with the GP and the suggestion to write these questions down will be really useful and might help you remember them if you start feeling anxious. All your questions are valid. Anxiety isn't particularly rational and it's understandable for you to feel worried about opening up to the GP, but remember that they're here to help and are professionals and trained in many different things. You'd be surprised the variety of things they hear and see in their jobs, you might think yours is the worse, but there's always better and there's always worse - and it's all confidential so no one will know what you shared :)

Talking about it can really help. Sounds like you're seeing a therapist, is this helping? are you able to open up to them?

Have a look at our article on talking to you GP about mental health.

Good luck and let us know how it went *hug*
  • Options
    christele wrote: »
    Hi apandav,

Its great that you've booked an appointment with the GP and the suggestion to write these questions down will be really useful and might help you remember them if you start feeling anxious. All your questions are valid. Anxiety isn't particularly rational and it's understandable for you to feel worried about opening up to the GP, but remember that they're here to help and are professionals and trained in many different things. You'd be surprised the variety of things they hear and see in their jobs, you might think yours is the worse, but there's always better and there's always worse - and it's all confidential so no one will know what you shared :)

Talking about it can really help. Sounds like you're seeing a therapist, is this helping? are you able to open up to them?

Have a look at our article on [URL="http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/mental-health-treatments/going-to-see-your-gp-about-a-mental-health-problem-6835.html"]talking to you GP about mental health[/URL].

Good luck and let us know how it went *hug*

Thanks for the reply :)

I definitely need to keep reminding myself that "they are here to help". I guess your right, I can't explain why I'm anxious about it exactly but I think I'm just worried about being judge or not believed. I know gps shouldn't be that way but it's not guaranteed.

Thanks for the article, think I will need to write my questions down otherwise I probably won't ask them, then it would be a rather awkward appointment!

Yes, I am seeing a therapist for CBT but I only have 2 sessions left (I've had 4). I've gradually started to open up with my therapist. But she knows more or less everything now after that dreaded last minute appointment (had a rough week, ended up getting assessed and my therapist sat through the full appointment) . I'm anxious about therapy on Friday as I feel she knows too much. But one thing she doesn't know is the thing I'm describing in the paragraph about my childhood. Shes normally really nice and very supportive about everything, which helps. I do think therapy is helping but I don't feel 6 sessions in total will be enough. Don't feel ready to go it alone!