Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Housing Options for 18 year olds+

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I am 17, currently living at home with parents and siblings however feel I ought to move out,for different reasons but what living/housing options do i have?(I turn 18 this month).

Any replies greatly appreciated xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You should be able to apply to the council. But you'll be in for a very long wait for a council flat.
    Melian wrote: »
    You should be able to apply to the council. But you'll be in for a very long wait for a council flat.

Yeah,especially where I come from!!

I was wonderin if there could possibly be other options maybe?
    There's nothing to stop you from renting privately. Whether you can afford to, is another matter though.
    Melian wrote: »
    There's nothing to stop you from renting privately. Whether you can afford to, is another matter though.

I dont think id be able to afford it.But if i could,then i would xx
    Once you're 18 unless you have the money to rent privately (or share) or you are made homeless and the local council have an obligation to house you (which if you make yourself intentionally homeless they don't) then you don't have many other options. Would you mind telling us why you need to move out? In some circumstances you can get more help.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Once you're 18 unless you have the money to rent privately (or share) or you are made homeless and the local council have an obligation to house you (which if you make yourself intentionally homeless they don't) then you don't have many other options. Would you mind telling us why you need to move out? In some circumstances you can get more help.

Hiya

What kinds of circumstances?

My reasons....

*I am the oldest
    *Dont really have my own space
    *Previous issues
    *Private and personal matters

And only have about £500 to my name xx
  • PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey Angelface

Moving out can sound ideal - having a space of your own and being able to avoid siblings and parents. But it is a really expensive alternative to staying at home.

However there is support out there, take a look at our housing benefit article the amount of financial support varies depending on circumstance eg if you are in education/care giver etc, we also have an article on help with rent in case you are considering private renting.

But as Miss Riot suggests the rules about who can claim are complicated, but you can get more advice from a student welfare officer, your local council, or your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

If you want to chat to an expert about your situation and see if there is any local support to you, you can give Shelter a call on: 0808 800 4444

Do you want to share any more about the 'issues' that are motivating you to move out?
    Hiya

What kinds of circumstances?

My reasons....

*I am the oldest
    *Dont really have my own space
    *Previous issues
    *Private and personal matters

And only have about £500 to my name xx

You'd be waiting years in that situation. Put it this way - despite the council agreeing that my parents house is unsuitable for me due to my disabilities, they have somehow decided that I should be put in the lowest band...

Those reasons you've listed won't get you anywhere really on the housing list. It's usually circumstances like overcrowding, disability and your house being unsuitable, etc.
    That's bloody stupid.I kind of wanma say something but dont wanna offend specific groups o people.Dont worry, nothing to do with disability though!Actually i will say it...the 2 groups are immigrants/foreigners and benefits cheats...(sorry if i offend anyone)

What is the lowest band?That you were put in xx
    PGreen wrote: »
    Hey Angelface

Moving out can sound ideal - having a space of your own and being able to avoid siblings and parents. But it is a really expensive alternative to staying at home.

However there is support out there, take a look at our housing benefit article the amount of financial support varies depending on circumstance eg if you are in education/care giver etc, we also have an article on help with rent in case you are considering private renting.

But as Miss Riot suggests the rules about who can claim are complicated, but you can get more advice from a student welfare officer, your local council, or your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

If you want to chat to an expert about your situation and see if there is any local support to you, you can give Shelter a call on: 0808 800 4444

Do you want to share any more about the 'issues' that are motivating you to move out?

Hello

Thank you for the links.I will keep an eye out and have a read of the articles.
    I may share that soon..

Xx
    That's bloody stupid.I kind of wanma say something but dont wanna offend specific groups o people.Dont worry, nothing to do with disability though!Actually i will say it...the 2 groups are immigrants/foreigners and benefits cheats...(sorry if i offend anyone)

What is the lowest band?That you were put in xx

As someone whose family are immigrants / foreginers, I do find your comments offensive.Old Mad Your comments are mostly inaccurate too.

As far as the council are concerned, you are adequately housed, therefore, they are under no obligation to help you.
    My comments are not inaccurate at all let alone mostly.Though I am sorry to have offended you as i didnt intend to do that as per usual

I understand.So where do you live then as in with parents/family or not?x