Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Share your thoughts on TheSite.org Boards here!

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Just you?

Just me.

And that makes Sodbaby the lizard backing the elite.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Excuse me. Look up elite in the dictionary and there is a picture of me. 12 years bitches, thats gotta be worth something....
  • Options
    I'm too old to be a leader. Probably a good thing!

I have to be honest though, I kind of agree with Ballerina. Recently the boards (I only really use the new posts button now) seem to be full of a lot of threads about mental ill health, especially disordered eating and deliberate self injury. I don't think the quantity is higher, it's just that there isn't anything else. It's starting to look as though the boards are solely for those with mental health difficulties, there doesn't seem to be much else balancing out those posts, and that is an issue.

It's such a difficult thing to balance out. People need the time and space to express their difficulties- I know I did- but it is undoubtedly an issue if that is all that is posted about. How to change things is a question I don't have an answer to.

That was the point I was making, AR just worded it much better.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    It's starting to look as though the boards are solely for those with mental health difficulties, there doesn't seem to be much else balancing out those posts, and that is an issue.

Can you just clarify why you see it as an issue? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, I just feel that if you're going to make such a big statement, it needs more unravelling so that we can figure out what action, if any, would be worth taking. If you feel it might be better to PM me, then please do.
  • Options
    I don't think one should use nostalgia when evaluating a place such as this. Back in "your time" might have been great with Becky's Bar or Ants in your pant, but what about all of the time you asked for help yourself on mental health issues or something regarding the difficulties of being a teenager? The help was always there, and I'm sure it was there much more often than you care to remember because when looking back at the "good ol days" who wants to remember the rough times?

Also, you age, and the people of this website have changed. The people you grew close with have gone and have been replaced by others. What if one of the new and younger members started a thread that just as pointless as the aforementioned? I'm sure it would be torn to shreds by the "oldies" for being so stupid. Yet, those younger members, who are creating friendships with eachother may enjoy it - they would be doing the same thing you did at that age.

I think the site has some wonderful new additions. The chat, whether it be for support or general chat seem to help many people. Also, the mods seems to make sure that every thread has a reply, especially those asking for advice and can be very beneficial. I think we need to look more at what the site is doing now - in terms of what it is set out to do- than judge it on how you remember it to be.
  • Options
    I agree, it depends on what we want the board to be about these days. Things change. If the charity want to see them as primarily a peer advice service then that's very good.

I guess what I'm saying is that everything seems so serious on here these days, there isn't the joking or the fun of Becky's Bar or the other silly threads. That's what I think is missing. Most of the threads in the "new posts" bit are asking things related to mental health difficulties, or at least that's the perception I get. That's an important part of the boards and I wouldn't want to dismiss it, it's just that there doesn't seem to be very much sunshine in among all the clouds. Maybe you're right, maybe there never was, but I don't think that was the case at all.

Maybe others see it differently, I don't know.
  • Options
    Well, it's a fair point, I mean, who would want to play mornington crescent with me these days? P&D is a lot less active as well. Still fun though.
  • Options
    I would! Do it!!! :D

P&D is a lot less active, but when I acted under another username there were a good few main players that aren't about anymore for whatever reason. But I think if people want things - like P&D to be busier or to have silly threads they need to get the ball rolling! I think there has been a fair bit of clicke-y-ness over the years, and although theres less I don't think we always create the most welcoming atmosphere for new comers.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    P&D is a lot less active as well. Still fun though.
    That's true, I enjoyed the recent mental workout.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I would! Do it!!! :D

P&D is a lot less active, but when I acted under another username there were a good few main players that aren't about anymore for whatever reason. But I think if people want things - like P&D to be busier or to have silly threads they need to get the ball rolling! I think there has been a fair bit of clicke-y-ness over the years, and although theres less I don't think we always create the most welcoming atmosphere for new comers.

You're on.
  • Options
    I agree, it depends on what we want the board to be about these days. Things change. If the charity want to see them as primarily a peer advice service then that's very good.

I guess what I'm saying is that everything seems so serious on here these days, there isn't the joking or the fun of Becky's Bar or the other silly threads. That's what I think is missing. Most of the threads in the "new posts" bit are asking things related to mental health difficulties, or at least that's the perception I get. That's an important part of the boards and I wouldn't want to dismiss it, it's just that there doesn't seem to be very much sunshine in among all the clouds. Maybe you're right, maybe there never was, but I don't think that was the case at all.

Maybe others see it differently, I don't know.

No, I'm with you.

Maybe I've been here too long and should move onto something else. Maybe I'm nostalgic for when I was most involved with the boards. But we don't have 'big' personalities anymore. There's not really anyway I can phrase this without it coming over as a slight against new members but the bold, brash newbie who stirs things up a bit seems to have died out. Maybe it's a generational thing - maybe the insecure, desperate to be loved people like me have found somewhere else to seek validation by making people laugh.

There hasn't been a new Infinite to replace me. There hasn't been a new Kermit. There hasn't been a new my_name. Maybe those people use twitter to get their voice out to the world. Maybe thesite couldn't sustain them if they did show up. Maybe they are just not attracted to boards like this.

But every forum needs its own 'board celebrities' that are a bit loud and obnoxious. There needs to be that friction of outspoken people butting heads a little bit.

If the charity doesn't want that, that's ok. There are other places to go.

We need more gobshites.
  • Options
    I'm sure I could become a precocious gobshite if required! ;D
  • Options
    I'm a gobshite too.

Maybe people should *spam* a bit with some fun discussions. Start as we mean to go on? I made a youtube thread the other day and no one has replied to it. Not that I'm bitter about it. Oh no :grump:
  • Options
    I know a lot of people disagree with me - but I don't like the hugs thread. I know I've used it infrequently - but that's because I almost feel bad making a new thread now. It just seems like one massive pile of negative things and I find it really hard to follow people's stories - and therefore offer any worthwhile support really. I much prefer people making their own threads and then following them through the good and bad times.

Meh.

And the ranty thread is slipping back to old ways....
  • Options
    There's generally not as much banter here as there was years ago. I expect that's due to things like facebook and twitter drawing those things away from other sites. Boards like this struggle now to compete in that area. So I expect that's why the place feels a lot more like it's just full of people with mental issues.
  • Options
    I think the main kind of threads I notice are missing these days are the silly, pointless ones, like 'what's your favourite biscuit' or 'what colour pants are you wearing'. They are stupid, but they are easy to answer, and everyone can join in, whether they're new, or they've been here since the dawn of time. It gets people chatting, and that's how they get to know each other.

And then in 10 years time they can become the elite ;)
  • Options
    Really just can echo what everyone else is said.

So if I can sum the bits I've agreed with into something succint: historically, thesite boards were a 'third space' - a place to hangout, outside of school and instead of just watching TV. There was gossip, intrigue, scandals, and also support. Over time, it's evolved, and now it is primarily first and foremost support. It's a place for people to come anonymously, get support, and then leave again, changing from a once vibrant hub of everything that's happening with young people, to a place to turn when it's needed.

Also, there are a couple of boards I'm on that still retain the 'third place banter' aspect, so I don't think it's all discussion boards. Certainly Facebook will have hit, but most of the other forums I'm have plenty of stupid threads here and there. I mean if there isn't an active 'pictures of cats' thread then you know something is amiss.

So, that's the what then.

The how and why? I'm not sure I'm qualified to say. I could speculate that as thesite has become a nexus for mental health difficulties, it actually starts to alienate people who want to talk about normal things - that if you joke too much, there will be trigger warnings posted all over the thread which will be locked and banned. In essence, that's it's evolved into a 'safespace' where the vulnerable are protected (which is no bad thing), but to the detriment for the daily social value.

But like I said, that's speculation. It's impossible to interview everyone who has been or could have been a member and asked why they left. I left for a prolonged absence mainly because the 'happy-go-lucky' types who were all things to all people had moved on. I come back now and again to poke things about and give a few tips where I can.
  • Options
    I'm a gobshite too.

Maybe people should *spam* a bit with some fun discussions. Start as we mean to go on? I made a youtube thread the other day and no one has replied to it. Not that I'm bitter about it. Oh no :grump:

High five for being so pro-active clementine - you rule. :d

(eta - I see Fiend has been working some magic too...)
  • Options
    Well, I am Captain Magic Pants
  • Options
    I know a lot of people disagree with me - but I don't like the hugs thread. I know I've used it infrequently - but that's because I almost feel bad making a new thread now. It just seems like one massive pile of negative things and I find it really hard to follow people's stories - and therefore offer any worthwhile support really. I much prefer people making their own threads and then following them through the good and bad times.

Meh.

And the ranty thread is slipping back to old ways....

Your thoughts here are totally valid YSH. This one is a super sensitive topic though, which I don't think is best discussed in this space. If you can post something about it in the Leaders network, then we can have some discussion about it there. :)
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    Your thoughts here are totally valid YSH. This one is a super sensitive topic though, which I don't think is best discussed in this space. If you can post something about it in the Leaders network, then we can have some discussion about it there. :)

While lying awake for many, many hours last night I actually had some thoughts about this. I think it's turned very much into what D&SH used to be like and not what it was intended to be. If YSH doesn't post on Leaders then I will later.
  • Options
    Cool beans :)