Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Crying

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A few months ago I suffered a really traumatic experience. Since then all I've done is cry and cry. I'm not depressed because I'm not constantly feeling down / sad, but I do feel physically exhausted all the time because of the amount of crying I've been doing. I cry all the time - as in a few times each day, or a few hours each day, and I've done this ever since what happened happened. I can't help it and I can't stop myself from crying. Though sometimes I try to distract myself on purpose to help myself and have purposefully tried to take on extra workloads. But this constant crying is getting on my nerves. I'm obviously not over what happened but I should be by now imo. If it's quiet or I'm not kept busy and my mind has any time at all to think, I automatically replay the experience in my head like a flashback and then I burst into tears and cry and cry. I wake up usually crying in the morning, as I wake up I'm crying, and in the middle of the night I wake up and cry, having nightmares too - replaying it over and over. My partner has been quite sympathetic and told me to go to see the GP but I keep downplaying whats happened so people won't worry about me. I've made an appointment at the GP but I don't want him to tell me I've got depression or similar cos I know its not that... it's just non-stop crying and lack of sleep so I'm exhausted all the time. Just can't stop crying. When I'm crying I feel traumatized, when I'm not crying I'm constantly distracting myself and feel rather ok except exhausted. Does anyone else know what else it could be cos its not depression (like I said I don't feel sad or down)? Also if anyone has been through similar can they advise, cheers. :crying:

Comments

• Options
    Not feeling sad or down doesn't mean it's not depression, and I think your GP will probably say that.

Exhaustion is one physical symptom and being 'teary' is an emotional symptom. What you're describing is more or less my day to day experience.

It could also be a form of post-traumatic stress disorder which can manifest in a number of ways.

The main thing is to be as honest as you can with your GP.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    The main thing is to be as honest as you can with your GP.
    :yes: As Piccolo says, you need to see your GP and be honest with them about how you are feeling.

Whether it is / is not depression, there may be a number of different treatments / therapies that the Doctor can suggest to help you feel better and to help you work through what is going on at the moment. The fact that you are crying means that some of the emotions & feelings are physically getting out and not staying bottled in, this can be positive. But as you have said, the amount of crying is exhausting for you and it may be that you need a little help...

Lets us know how it goes at the GP. Take care :)
  • Options
    GP said it IS depression cos of non-stop crying for months and problems sleeping and they have given me some anti-depressants. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but after discussing it I think I might as well try the drugs and see if they help any, cos all I really want to do is stop crying! GP said should try to think of it as some things that happen are beyond anyones ability to cope and when that happens crying constantly and "depression" is the result. Hate that label though "depression" as well as "traumatized" esp. cos I'm not feeling down most of the time I feel relitively ok aside from the crying and replaying things over in my mind. Also a bit annoyed it was SO easy for them to dish out drugs, but so long as by taking them things improve, guess thats what matters most.
  • Options
    I hope you get some relief from how you've been feeling*hug*
  • Options
    Did you get anything other than drugs?

Fixing the exhaustion often helps with the crying.
  • Options
    Did you get anything other than drugs?

Fixing the exhaustion often helps with the crying.

No, just antidepressants.
    The GP did say that they couldn't prescribe both sleeping tablets and antidepressants, cos that's exactly what I thought, sleeping pills might have been more useful :s
  • Options
    some ADs work as sleeping tablets, what did they prescribe you?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    some ADs work as sleeping tablets, what did they prescribe you?

Citalopram.
    Actually been reading the instructions that come in the box, it says it can INCREASE insomnia, so wont help me to sleep :(
    Had my first one this morning and so far feel no different, have cried again but GP said they will take a few weeks to work.
  • Options
    Blacksheep wrote: »
    Citalopram.
    Actually been reading the instructions that come in the box, it says it can INCREASE insomnia, so wont help me to sleep :(
    Had my first one this morning and so far feel no different, have cried again but GP said they will take a few weeks to work.

Citalopram is meant to help you sleep, the side effects are a wost case scenario. There are antihistamines that make you really drowsy, your GP could perhaps prescribe you some of those? Sleep would probably help your mood.

It will take up to 6 weeks to make you feel any different, 3 if you're lucky, but it's probably a small dose so it will take a while.

Can you get a referral to a counselling service meanwhile? If only to keep your head above water?
  • Options
    Counselling might be a good idea actually, might ask about that when I return to the surgery. And will definitely ask about the antihistamines, other than that I'm going to ask for sleeping pills instead of antidepressants cos so far they are really not helping me sleep.