Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

SATs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do I go about withdrawing my child from them? Is there a letter I can write or do we just pull sickies that week?

Comments

• Options
    Speak to the school, but I'm not sure they will support you. Having said that, teachers don't like them either so maybe they will...

Last resort is the one you suggest, of course.
  • Options
    Pulling sickies wont work, they make you re do them as soon as you get back.
    I'm not sure you can pull out of the year 6 ones easily to be honest... you could try speaking to the school, but I think it'll have to go higher up than that. x

EDIT: Also, when your child starts high school they will probably be put in the bottom sets, as the high school picks the sets based on the SAT's results, and the CAT's which are half way through year 8.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    EDIT: Also, when your child starts high school they will probably be put in the bottom sets, as the high school picks the sets based on the SAT's results, and the CAT's which are half way through year 8.

Not if it's a decent secondary, they won't. Most secondaries will have a transition process which includes speaking to the Y6 teachers to find out about attainment, ability and general behaviour and attitude. If a child is Level 5 (say) throughout and they don't take their SATs for whatever reason then the secondary are aware of this and will stream appropriately.

Katralla, the best bet would be to speak to your headteacher. Bypass your class teacher because they probably wouldn't know and would just be a middle man. Your head is the best option. If your child is a high achiever you will have a battle as they will want your child to make up statistics :yeees:

I hate SATs :|
  • Options
    Not if it's a decent secondary, they won't. Most secondaries will have a transition process which includes speaking to the Y6 teachers to find out about attainment, ability and general behaviour and attitude. If a child is Level 5 (say) throughout and they don't take their SATs for whatever reason then the secondary are aware of this and will stream appropriately.

I go to a pretty small high school (only just over 1000 people) and I know that all our GTG's are done by SAT's and CAT's scores. There's a boy who came from a private school, and he was put straight in the bottom set because he didn't do SAT's, and because I failed mine I was in the lower sets as well (even though I got one of the highest CAT scores in the country) x
    My school starts at year 8 though
  • Options
    1,000 people? I'd say that was quite a reasonably large high school :)
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    1,000 people? I'd say that was quite a reasonably large high school :)

Ahh, not round here. The other 3 main high school have over 2000 people, nearly 2000 people and just under 1000. Although, the ones with 2000 have year 7s
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Ahh, not round here. The other 3 main high school have over 2000 people, nearly 2000 people and just under 1000. Although, the ones with 2000 have year 7s
    Like our school has over 2500+ I think it about average as it is a all girls school x
  • Options
    2,500 ? Whaaaaaaat? :shocking:
  • Options
    2,500 ? Whaaaaaaat? :shocking:

That's pretty normal :L x
  • Options
    Does that include 6th formers too?
  • Options
    No, not down here. But I don't know about her school
  • Options
    I read somewhere about a school in nottingham that was due to be the largest in the UK as of sept 2009 with around 2,500 with buildings completed by 2011 to make it 3,000 to 3,500 but I thought that was the exception to the rule.

I bet it takes some logistical wizardry to organise that kind of school :)
  • Options
    i hate sats too, you used to just be able to withdraw your kid from them.. at least itwas that way when i was at school
  • Options
    I read somewhere about a school in nottingham that was due to be the largest in the UK as of sept 2009 with around 2,500 with buildings completed by 2011 to make it 3,000 to 3,500 but I thought that was the exception to the rule.

I bet it takes some logistical wizardry to organise that kind of school :)

3,500 would be pretty big
  • Options
    I go to a pretty small high school (only just over 1000 people) and I know that all our GTG's are done by SAT's and CAT's scores. There's a boy who came from a private school, and he was put straight in the bottom set because he didn't do SAT's, and because I failed mine I was in the lower sets as well (even though I got one of the highest CAT scores in the country) x
    My school starts at year 8 though

It would be best to speak to the school (Katralla, that is) and if this is the case then you can hopefully come to some sort of arrangement with the secondary. I've never come across a secondary sorting their classes and sets purely on SATs results and I've worked with 3 different secondaries during transition from Y6-7. All three were interested in the child as a whole and results across the year rather than on one test. And those who missed their SATs due to illness or whatever were placed where the teachers thought rather than in the lowest set.
  • Options
    Ahh, maybe it's because we go up in year 8. I'm not sure. But I know all our GTG's are done on SAT's, because we all complained about them and they told us that there was nothing they could do as they are SAT's related. And I know that the GTG's determine what set we are in. x
  • Options
    In my school SATs determined jack all. It was our CAT scores that did. But even then they tried to say they didn't, but they clearly did.
  • Options
    just curiously, why do a lot of people dislike SATs? I'm intrigued now.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »

When I did mine, (year 9) they were made out to be the most important thing ever. They're a waste of time too. At least with GCSEs, A-Levels and a degree, you have something to show for them and they do generally get you somewhere.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    When I did mine, (year 9) they were made out to be the most important thing ever. They're a waste of time too. At least with GCSEs, A-Levels and a degree, you have something to show for them and they do generally get you somewhere.

Pfft, I cannot even remember mine :p
  • Options
    I didn't do them... Can't see the point in DD feeling under pressure for them. If not taking them meant being in bottom sets at high school Iw ould just keep her home and coach her through GCSEs, would be much quicker than the 50million hours a day they waste at school learning how to sit down, shut up, and do what everyone else does.

I know the class teacher isn't keen on them as I asked her about them at parent teacher meeting last, and I asked last year. I will speak to the head. If need by I can always withdraw her from school for a bit, and then re-register her, or something.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I didn't do them... Can't see the point in DD feeling under pressure for them. If not taking them meant being in bottom sets at high school Iw ould just keep her home and coach her through GCSEs, would be much quicker than the 50million hours a day they waste at school learning how to sit down, shut up, and do what everyone else does.

With SATs, it is possible to move sets for GCSEs - I did. With me, I was put in top for maths, english & science. I told my maths tutor that I was struggling and could I please move down a set and moved with no hassle. With English, my tutor asked me if I wanted to move - she felt I was struggling and it would be better for me.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »

because i hate grammar schools. i find it really bizaare that people believe they can distinguish who will do academically well at the age of 12/13. i dont see the need for such a definitive seperation in the first place and i dont think you can honestly assume a person's academic potential when they are in year 6 and still playing with conkers.
  • Options
    SATs don't determine who does and doesn't get into grammar schools though - it's just the 11+. Or it was for me as far as I'm aware....
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote: »
    SATs don't determine who does and doesn't get into grammar schools though - it's just the 11+. Or it was for me as far as I'm aware....

Umm thats what i thought, I swear my SATa from what I remember was at yr8
  • Options
    haha omg, am i getting confused? :blush:

oopsy..
  • Options
    All Y6s at the end of primary school take their SATs regardless of the secondary / grammar / whatever school they are going to. They help create the league tables and the stats that you hear bandied about on the news. They happen at the end of Key Stage 2. The KS3 ones were abolished and the Y2 ones are 'optional'. I dislike SATs because they are not a fair way of assessing children, too much pressure is put on the children to gain Level 4s and the whole of Y6 is teaching to the Y6 tests. I dislike them immensely :(
  • Options
    Littlemissy, they still do the KS3 ones at my school :( and we have assesments every 6 weeks in every subjects (even when we only have some subjects once every two weeks!!)
  • Options
    haha omg, am i getting confused? :blush:

oopsy..

No... there are SATs in year 6. But as far as I'm aware they're not used to determine who gets into grammar schools, that's done by the 11+. But as littlemissy said they help create league tables etc.

I don't think I knew KS3 ones had been abolished. Now they were pointless, we were pushed to do the extra/advanced papers or whatever they were called to try and let level 8 and 9s. I guess for the league tables, though didn't realise that at the time!
  • Options
    I dislike SATs because they are not a fair way of assessing children, too much pressure is put on the children to gain Level 4s and the whole of Y6 is teaching to the Y6 tests. I dislike them immensely :(

I agree. I'd prefer (as did sometimes happen) smaller tests at the end of each unit. Much less pressure.