Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Join The Forces!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Right, so the OP is saying that I could join the army and not have to pay tution fees? Great reason to join the forces... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    You still have to pay tuition fees, but the forces will put £4000 in to your account over the year for you to spend on whatever you want as long as its legal! As well as that they'll pay you for any training you do. It is a good deal, plus when you finish uni you'll have a job secured! Look on the web for DTUS (Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme), it will be on there somewhere. You can go to Aston, Newcastle, Northumbria, Loughborough, Southampton or Oxford/Cambridge. There's a number of courses that each force will accept.

www.royal-navy.mod.uk
    www.army.mod.uk
    www.raf.mod.uk
  • Options
    Wow, £4000. You get half a Cherie haircut for that!

AND you get to die for her at the end of it.

I don't know why anyone with brains would want to go and die for that shower of shit.

Oh, and before I forget: FOAD SPAMMER.
  • Options
    All the people I've known who've been in the forces have been severely fucked up by the experience.
  • Options
    You're not working for either of the blairs. The forces work to the Queen. I know many people who are so much better in themselves and have severely benefited from the life style that the forces brings to you. Modern warfare really does have miniscule death rates, a proffessional soldier, sailor or airman see the loss of life as a part of the job, I dont know of anyone in the forces who doesnt realise the potential risk. Generally this sort of "omg if you join the forces you'll die alone and in a foreign land with some horrible torture" mentality is the view of someone from a completely biased ill informed viewpoint, the typical tabloid headline believing person that we all know and hate.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    wilsonc wrote:
    You're not working for either of the blairs. The forces work to the Queen. I know many people who are so much better in themselves and have severely benefited from the life style that the forces brings to you. Modern warfare really does have miniscule death rates, a proffessional soldier, sailor or airman see the loss of life as a part of the job, I dont know of anyone in the forces who doesnt realise the potential risk. Generally this sort of "omg if you join the forces you'll die alone and in a foreign land with some horrible torture" mentality is the view of someone from a completely biased ill informed viewpoint, the typical tabloid headline believing person that we all know and hate.

Ok you've made your point - there's a difference between telling people about a work experience you have enjoyed and trying to force feed them information about the army. Most people who have responded to this thread have made it quite clear that they either don't agree that working for the army would be a good experience, or they feel strongly against it in general - they are entitled to their view point as much as you are to yours.

If you want to debate the issue further then please take it to the politics and debate forum. Otherwise it just seems that you are advertising which is something you agreed not to do when you signed up to these forums.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Don't wanna.

Not that I'm a tree-hugging pinko liberal, far from it, I just have better things to do with my time.
  • Options
    wilsonc wrote:
    You're not working for either of the blairs. The forces work to the Queen.

Oh yeah, even better, an unelected head of state. Great. :rolleyes:

twat
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Oh yeah, even better, an unelected head of state. Great. :rolleyes:
    See, all this time we've been thinking it was Tony Blair that sent the troops to Iraq, when in fact, it was the queen. :grump: Bitch.
  • Options
    Don't wanna.

Not that I'm a tree-hugging pinko liberal, far from it, I just have better things to do with my time.

Same here. And I think I'd rather study for a degree than fight for my country, because I don't really want to experience anything bad.
  • Options
    I was thinking of joining as Intelligence officer, i'm torn between that or the police (i'm studying criminology), it'll probably be the police, i'm not sure if I have what it takes to become an officer.
  • Options
    i don't know about anyone else, but money is a huge concern for me at the moment. I dont want to be in debt, and the size of my student loan when i get out of medical school scares me. especialy when u consider that i will only get half loan in my final year, too small a summer holiday to earn the substantial amount of money i will need in my final year which is when i will need to pay for lots of transport and my elective.

for some of us, selling our soul to the forces is the only way to complete the degree.
  • Options
    i don't know about anyone else, but money is a huge concern for me at the moment. I dont want to be in debt, and the size of my student loan when i get out of medical school scares me. especialy when u consider that i will only get half loan in my final year, too small a summer holiday to earn the substantial amount of money i will need in my final year which is when i will need to pay for lots of transport and my elective.

for some of us, selling our soul to the forces is the only way to complete the degree.

What about getting a job so that you have money? That is, during your time at uni and before.
  • Options
    Ive worked since i was thirteen, and i work in all the holidays. I just don't have the time to work at uni, im studying medicine and they like to give us loads of work! i know that in the end i will have plenty of money but that feels pretty far away at the moment.

I guess its different for me though, when im a doctor im going to be saving people and improving their quality of life regardless of who they are or where they're from. So if i were to join the forces it wouldnt be such a change from those original principles.
  • Options
    If I ever do work for the Gov't, it'll be for the FCO or MI6. Cos I can speak Russian so nerrrr!
  • Options
    This is a little off topic, but I'd like to say that I'm somewhat impressed with the fact that this discussion has remained relatively civilized. If this subject had been brought up under similar circumstances in the United States, on a message board or in actual conversation, things would have likely deteriorated within a few minutes into an atmosphere of disrespect, ignorance, condescension, fierce exaggeration, and zero tolerance for opposing views. That's basically the only reason why I've decided that my degree -- concentrating in international affairs, foreign policy, defense, and national security -- will be absolutely useless. So, a drag for me, but a shag for everyone else!
  • Options
    AAhhh poopies they dont have anything for the art/design students
  • Options
    welbeck to paras?

would it be stupid to assume that i could go to welbeck college and then leave to go to uni whilst being sponsored by the royal marines or paras. I'm really interested in joining welbeck, but i do not want to go into the engineering side of the army, is there a way for me to join the paras or marinea after welbeck, and still go to uni and maybe sandhurst when joining the paras!

• Options
    Check the date of the thread mate, this is 3 years old.
  • Options
    ...and the un winable wars and bullshit trundle on.
    Did anyone join up cos of this thread ...are they still sane ...breathing?
  • Options
    dolmiooDAY wrote: »
    would it be stupid to assume that i could go to welbeck college and then leave to go to uni whilst being sponsored by the royal marines or paras. I'm really interested in joining welbeck, but i do not want to go into the engineering side of the army, is there a way for me to join the paras or marinea after welbeck, and still go to uni and maybe sandhurst when joining the paras!

Don't waste a Welbeck place. It's a technical college and it would be really dissapointing if you went there without the intention of making the most of that. I don't think you could get passed them if you weren't fully up for it anyway.
  • Options
    I'm thinking of joining the royal navy as a submariners writer, i am joining as more of an escape and money rather than an escape, hopefully hack about 6 years and come out and get a comfy job and live life peacefully at my own independence. they can try and brainwash me or whatever, im in it for the money and training... nothing else. unfortunatley i agree with everything mr roll has said, i wish i didnt but i do. if i have to join something against my beliefs to get where i want in life, who fluffing cares anymore, we're puppets on strings anyway right?