Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Join The Forces!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Anyone who's remotely interested in sciences, engineering, technology or even business degrees (aswell as some others) then the armed forces is for you at university. Get an appointment to see an Armed Forces Careers team and they can help sort you out. All they ask is that you do what your told when your told, and give 3/4 years back in service after uni.... your side of the deal is that you get £5500 a year at uni to do with what you will, you get all the uniform, trips away doing cool stuff and help with your uni work.

It is good, last year i ended up in india, france and germany, this year im off to france again (maybe) and america, and its almost all paid for and you get paid to go more than you pay!!

JOIN UP ITS GOOD!!! :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    \
  • Options
    Rules me out then...

ditto
  • Options
    It's not that bad!
  • Options
    It ain't "join" it's "be selected" no? The scholarships are ridiculously hard to get onto, especially Welbeck College and for potential engineers/WAFUs.
  • Options
    bethebestspoof7oo.jpg
  • Options
    It ain't "join" it's "be selected" no? The scholarships are ridiculously hard to get onto, especially Welbeck College and for potential engineers/WAFUs.

True - you do have to be selected, but they aren't ridiculously hard - I got into Welbeck and I'm not the fittest, most intelligent, most common-sense, logical thinker and all that. I have also witnessed people getting in who should not have got in, so it can't be that hard.
  • Options
    I got into Welbeck and I'm not the fittest, most intelligent, most common-sense, logical thinker and all that. I have also witnessed people getting in who should not have got in, so it can't be that hard.

Is your place at Sandhurst/Cranwell/Dartmouth guaranteed?

Hmmm, I'm deciding whether to try the Admiralty Interview Board. That doesn't sound easy but then again it is the Navy.
  • Options
    Is your place at Sandhurst/Cranwell/Dartmouth guaranteed?

Hmmm, I'm deciding whether to try the Admiralty Interview Board. That doesn't sound easy but then again it is the Navy.

It is guarenteed as long as you pass your degree, don't do anything stupid and get kicked out, don't get a criminal record etc.

I have been told that I have a confirmed plce at Sandhurst sept 2008, but that is as long as I stay on the scheme and do ok.

My boyfriend is on the same scheme as me, but with the Navy, although joined before Welbeck became quad-service (Army, Navy, Air Force and MOD civil Servants (DESG)) so joined when he started uni. He did AIB and passed. I think that it is down to determination-if they can see that you are determined to succeed then you'll do ok.

If you want any advice then I'm sure my boyfriend can tell you about his experience.
  • Options
    bethebestspoof7oo.jpg

classic
  • Options
    Do you have to be in the TA/RNR/RMR/RAAF while in uni
  • Options
    Sort of. As a sponsored undergraduate you would be a member of the TA, RNR or RAFVR. HOWEVER you would not be part of the OTC, URNU or UAS, the university armed forces "social clubs". The sponsored training is quite apart and you will do training relevant to each force, I myself whilst sponsored to join the Royal Navy have been on Army led exercises to the Peak district to do a tactical exercise, and army exercise in dartmoor, an army exercise to india, im off on a navy exercise to USA, iv been on RAF trips to see fighter squadrons.... its all there.

Just look up DTUS (defence technical undergraduate scheme) on internet or ask armed forces career liason office about it. It is a very good deal!
  • Options
    Anyone else here who went to Welbeck or are on the DTUS scheme?
  • Options
    I joined the paras.....................................for a week. :blush:
  • Options
    Just because you're advertising for the government doesn't mean you can ignore the rules on these boards about spam.

As for dying to keep Blair in hairdos- fuck that for a laugh.
  • Options
    Hmm, I could never joined the british armed forces, poor equipment, Poor weapons, Crap cammo, worst bullpub design. the list is endless. I would not trust anything thee british army uses to save my life except the AH 64 D longbow apache
  • Options
    My Dad was in the Army. He was stationed in Ireland at the height of the troubles. So you'll have to excuse me when I say that the thought of joining the Army sickens me to my stomach.
  • Options
    The Leaf wrote:
    I joined the paras.....................................for a week. :blush:

What are the fitness requirements like for the paras?
  • Options
    Its got nothing to do with blair. The life in the forces is quite dettached from the government. I dont like the fact we've got troops in iraq etc, but the fact is we do, and until the job is done we can not bring them home, we'v committed ourselves to it now, so we gotta do the job! :banghead:
  • Options
    wilsonc wrote:
    Its got nothing to do with blair. The life in the forces is quite dettached from the government. I dont like the fact we've got troops in iraq etc, but the fact is we do, and until the job is done we can not bring them home, we'v committed ourselves to it now, so we gotta do the job! :banghead:
    what job exactly?
  • Options
    The job is to restore peace and a standard of living to the people of these countries, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. Both countries were under a terrible regime that had human rights that were deplorable. Also Afghanistan was believed to be the hiding point for the heads of the Al Queada Network, and I think you have to agree that as soon as we can stop this gloabal terrorism the better. Im sure that there are thousands of families who are missing someone from their dinner table each night in New York, Washington, London, Egypt, Pakistan, Indonesia, Bali and other countries that would agree with me that the terrorism must be stopped.
  • Options
    wilsonc wrote:
    The job is to restore peace and a standard of living to the people of these countries, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. Both countries were under a terrible regime that had human rights that were deplorable. Also Afghanistan was believed to be the hiding point for the heads of the Al Queada Network, and I think you have to agree that as soon as we can stop this gloabal terrorism the better. Im sure that there are thousands of families who are missing someone from their dinner table each night in New York, Washington, London, Egypt, Pakistan, Indonesia, Bali and other countries that would agree with me that the terrorism must be stopped.
    you realy don't have a clue do you!
    just what the government need i supose ...scary.
  • Options
    Al Queada Network = excuse... if they were really worried about those countries citizens they would have help them a long time ago...
  • Options
    Al Queada Network = excuse... if they were really worried about those countries citizens they would have help them a long time ago...
    the thing is iraq were our best ally out there.
    saddam would not allow hardline muslim crap ...in fact the place was multi faith ...with a thriving christian community.
    shops to rival london.
    night clubs with mini skirts and alcohol.
    the likes of bin laden was hated and he in turn hated the likes of iraq.
    anyone who still believes iraq had anything to do with terrorist attacks against the west is a numskull.
    afghanistan ...the invasion has been planned since reagans days ...you don't invade a country looking for a gang!
    i can't help but notice how the taliban were the only ever sucsess in the war against drugs ...the lowest opium/heroin production in history!
    but now we are back in control ...the biggest crop ...ever in history!
    dear oh dear ...
  • Options
    ok ok, in iraq the oil may have been a teeny weeny persuasive point to go in, but now we've started we cant stop till its done. Its going to be stupid to leave at any earlier point.
  • Options
    wilsonc wrote:
    ok ok, in iraq the oil may have been a teeny weeny persuasive point to go in, but now we've started we cant stop till its done. Its going to be stupid to leave at any earlier point.
    till whats done though?
    what are we doing besides causing mass destruction of jobs lives and environments?
    till what jobs done exactly?
    i ask cos i happen to know there are quite a few people in the forces in a lot of trouble for asking these questions.
  • Options
    before any of you bite my head off ...it worries me that some young people see the army as just another carear choice without maybe thinking through the full implications of what your getting yourselves into.
    once your in ...your no longer allowed to question what it is your being asked ...told ...to do.
    theres great virtue and honour in defending your country ...your way of life ...but whats going on at the moment is a long long way away from those ideals.
  • Options
    Whats happening today is we are restoring Iraq to a humane country that doesnt rely on peoples being beaten and murdered because they dont agree with the regime. You see in this country (and the UK is by no means perfect) we have democracy. It helps keep people a little happier than the odd mass grave here and there.

The troubles in Afghanistan go back a long long way. Right back past when russia had a go in there. No one could say that Iraq or Afghanistan are in a good position but with the abolishment of the two regimes things can only improve.

The forces is a great career move. Its only the view of the ignorant and the tabloids that the forces is a rough handed improffessional killing machine. The British forces are the best in the world. Look at Bosnia! In Iraq the least hostile "occupied" area is around Basra, near the British troops. What other job can take you around the world, seeing sites that are unbelievable and pay you to do it.

The oppurtunities that come out of it are incredible I've been to asia to see and help with the Tsunami rebuild, Iv been to several european countries to pay my respects to those who have fallen in previous conflicts and to learn from this, I have been to several bases to see planes, ships etc... Iv been to dinners, and functions and met some amazing people, Iv made some great frends and Im off to USA next month, hopefully with the falklands next year. And on top of this every day im away on this stuff Im getting paid.

Now that is the armed forces!!
  • Options
    Fitness for paras is 1.5miles run in under 9.40,10 pull-ups and pass the team tasks.
    Thats it.............piece of piss. :thumb:
  • Options
    while they might not get paid near enough to what they should, for the job they do

they still get paid more than i do
  • Options
    wilsonc wrote:
    Whats happening today is we are restoring Iraq to a humane country that doesnt rely on peoples being beaten and murdered because they dont agree with the regime. You see in this country (and the UK is by no means perfect) we have democracy. It helps keep people a little happier than the odd mass grave here and there.

The troubles in Afghanistan go back a long long way. Right back past when russia had a go in there. No one could say that Iraq or Afghanistan are in a good position but with the abolishment of the two regimes things can only improve.

The forces is a great career move. Its only the view of the ignorant and the tabloids that the forces is a rough handed improffessional killing machine. The British forces are the best in the world. Look at Bosnia! In Iraq the least hostile "occupied" area is around Basra, near the British troops. What other job can take you around the world, seeing sites that are unbelievable and pay you to do it.

The oppurtunities that come out of it are incredible I've been to asia to see and help with the Tsunami rebuild, Iv been to several european countries to pay my respects to those who have fallen in previous conflicts and to learn from this, I have been to several bases to see planes, ships etc... Iv been to dinners, and functions and met some amazing people, Iv made some great frends and Im off to USA next month, hopefully with the falklands next year. And on top of this every day im away on this stuff Im getting paid.

Now that is the armed forces!!
    good on yer wilson.
    i have quite a few mates in the forces ...and mates sons ...so i do know a bit about it.
    just the lies about iraq and afgahnistan realy get up my snozzle i'm afraid.
    all the best to you.