Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bomber warns: there are more like me in Yemen

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    429200824725PM_488.jpg
  • Options
    justjames wrote: »
    you think so?

try to do an experiment on that and share with us the result

So, basically your argument is that all muslims and all black males (or blacks in general?) should be regarded as terrorists until proven otherwise?
  • Options
    But for young muslim boys, whatever the colour of their skin, should work twice as hard at behaving themselves, watching what they say and who they make friends with because they fit the current profile.

If I was you, I'd start checking under my bed every night.

When I was a toddler it was monsters, as a kid it was "commies" that we were supposed to be scared of. Then the Irish. Now the Muslims.

Always has to be a bogeyman eh? Why do you think that is?
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    So, basically your argument is that all muslims and all black males (or blacks in general?) should be regarded as terrorists until proven otherwise?

nope try again
  • Options

When I was a toddler it was monsters, as a kid it was "commies" that we were supposed to be scared of. Then the Irish. Now the Muslims.

exactly why do you think that is?
  • Options

Well I'm not sure about the monsters, but I imagine with the commies and Irish it was because some of them weren't overkeen on the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and there was a realistic fear they meant to do its citizens harm.

Speaking as an Irishman I honestly didn't care that when I came over the police would spend a bit more time checking my car than they did an English couple on holiday or it took more time for me to get security clearance than the Jocks or Taffs when I was applying for Sandhurst. I cared more about the fact that some murdering bastards were killing my fellow citizens for their peverted beliefs. It's them I blame for the inconvenience not those trying to stop them.
  • Options
    Well I'm not sure about the monsters, but I imagine with the commies and Irish it was because some of them weren't overkeen on the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and there was a realistic fear they meant to do its citizens harm.

Speaking as an Irishman I honestly didn't care that when I came over the police would spend a bit more time checking my car than they did an English couple on holiday or it took more time for me to get security clearance than the Jocks or Taffs when I was applying for Sandhurst. I cared more about the fact that some murdering bastards were killing my fellow citizens for their peverted beliefs. It's them I blame for the inconvenience not those trying to stop them.

Do you also agree, in tune with justjames' sentiment, that Irish men and women "should work twice as hard at behaving themselves, watching what they say and who they make friends with because they fit the profile" [of terrorists]?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Do you also agree, in tune with justjames' sentiment, that Irish men and women "should work twice as hard at behaving themselves, watching what they say and who they make friends with because they fit the profile" [of terrorists]?

Well, yes actually. In fact we should do more and make sure we activelly turned against the IRA and the UVF, driving away their cancerous poison and showing our fellow citizens that scum like that are an abberation
  • Options
    exactly why do you think that is?

Because without the bogeyman we wouldn't happily sit back and watch our liberties being eroded, for a start...
  • Options
    Well, yes actually. In fact we should do more and make sure we activelly turned against the IRA and the UVF, driving away their cancerous poison and showing our fellow citizens that scum like that are an abberation
    I suspect that if you were an Irishman living in London suffering daily incidences of prejudice and suspicion wherever you went simply because of your accent, you would change your tune very quickly.

I for one would much rather live in a place with a (slightly) increased risk of terrorist attacks than to live in a society where people were routinely targeted simply because of their accent, nationality, colour of skin or religion. Fuck that for a game of soldiers.
  • Options

I disagree. I think that's always been the case, the difference is that the majority perspective now prevails.

You don't have to prove that you aren't affiliated with terrorists, they have to prove that they act on your behalf. because they failed to do that, they failed in their cause.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I suspect that if you were an Irishman living in London suffering daily incidences of prejudice and suspicion wherever you went simply because of your accent, you would change your tune very quickly.

I for one would much rather live in a place with a (slightly) increased risk of terrorist attacks than to live in a society where people were routinely targeted simply because of their accent, nationality, colour of skin or religion. Fuck that for a game of soldiers.

Er? I was an Irishman living in London (or rather Surrey and Lancaster). Alternatively if you'd known as many people murdered as I did you might also think that some inconvinience is a small price to pay. And I did live in a place where people were targetted for their nationality/religion/cultural grouping and if some civil liberties have to go for the right to life, well the world aint perfect but it beats carrying coffins.
  • Options
    I disagree. I think that's always been the case, the difference is that the majority perspective now prevails.

You don't have to prove that you aren't affiliated with terrorists, they have to prove that they act on your behalf. because they failed to do that, they failed in their cause.

I disagree. We needed to be proactive, not just tut, shake our heads and quietly murmur into our beer. Unfortunately it took thirty years (and arguably still hasn't happened given Sinn Fein is the second largest party in Northern Ireland). If more people had informed on the murderers, if we'd constantly marched against them, if we'd had no truck with the political parties which supported them, if we hadn't treated the RUC as the enemy because we didn't 100% support everything the Govt did; if we'd actually done things there would be a hell of a lot less dead.
  • Options
    Er? I was an Irishman living in London (or rather Surrey and Lancaster).
    And did you get regularly have your bags checked at pubs, or people leave their seat on the bus if you sat next to them and heard you speak in an Irish accent?

I'm not saying that's what regularly happened to Irishmen. I'm simply portraying a similar scenario of absurd and insulting prejudice and over-reaction as that proposed by justjames towards Muslims and assorted 'darkies'. And had you in fact been subjected to such daily prejudices, I very, very much doubt you would have been contented with it. If you were, I suspect you would have been just about the only Irishman in existence who did.

Bottom line: the end does not justify the means. Subjecting entire nationalities, races or other social groups to special prejudiced treatment is never, in a million years, acceptable.
  • Options
    I think this is pretty much right and there will be many, may be because i can relate to this, since i am living in Pakistan. About a year ago Pakistani security agencies arrested a guy and in his media interview, which was of around 1 hour, he told that you will have bomb blast in your streets everday because there are lot of people prepared for this around Afghan border and now we are seeing all this happening in front of our eyes, almost everyday there is a bomb blast here.

As far as profiling people is concerned, its very difficult question to answer because questions like discrimination and racism will came out and also questions like privacy. I am not sure if you can profile people based on their skin color because not all the muslims have brown skins and there are many people who are hindus, sikhs, Buddhist who have dark/brown skins.

A few days ago we were thinking how to profile people so we figure out few solutions.

1. Anyone who is visiting Afghanistan is under suspicious
    2. Any european or american (mostly a group of 1 or 2 guys) who is visiting pakistan is suspicious
    3. People coming out of Madrasas in Pakistan are suspicious

But i am still now not sure if this will solve the issue? I mean this is the harsh fact that American and EU use these people against Russia, CIA, ISI and Mi5 train these people to be perfect soldiers and they were freedom fighters at that time... but when they turn their guns to US and EU, they become terrorist. You have to solve their problem instead of just screening them.... West has to understand that its all happening because of their double standard... and because of this double standard people here are very poor.... and poor person has nothing to loose... he/she has nothing in this world to loose so when you give them dreams of heaven, why they would not like to take that chance?

To me most people suspicious in Pakistan are those who go to Madrasas, mainly because of one reason, most of these students are from poor families, they get food there and when they complete their studies they have no way to make any money... because their education is useless in worldly matters... you can't put some with the knowledge of religion as software engineer do you? So what options they left with? they turn to these organizations who provide them food and purpose to live (fight against US), in other words they are best candidates for the their army.... Then there are many educated people here who also get in these forces, they are intelligent and have know how to the worldly matters, so they become commanders in their army, like any other army in the world... now these educated people are not those who dont have any way of making money but when they sea the double standard around them, some of them just cannot take this anymore and they join these forces...

So what is solution? it is my request to WEST, esp to US, please dont put this world under thread because of your corporate profits... i beg you!

Note: I am not a muslim, just someone living in Pakistan and seeing all this happening around myself, my observation can be wrong.
  • Options
    I disagree. We needed to be proactive, not just tut, shake our heads and quietly murmur into our beer. Unfortunately it took thirty years (and arguably still hasn't happened given Sinn Fein is the second largest party in Northern Ireland). If more people had informed on the murderers, if we'd constantly marched against them, if we'd had no truck with the political parties which supported them, if we hadn't treated the RUC as the enemy because we didn't 100% support everything the Govt did; if we'd actually done things there would be a hell of a lot less dead.

The question was that the Irish should put in double the effort. To me that all sounds like something anyone should be doing, whether Irish or not.
  • Options
    The question was that the Irish should put in double the effort. To me that all sounds like something anyone should be doing, whether Irish or not.

But if the UVF are wandering into bookies and spraying bullets for the continuance of the union and the IRA are blowing to pieces the Northern Irish Collie Club for a United Ireland its up to the Irish, unionist and nationalist to make clear its not in our name and take active steps to stop it. It's not been done in your name so why would you march (and what dealings would you have with the RUC and are you likely to have heard rumours about who committed various atrocities?).
  • Options
    Sorry, the point I was trying to make is that anyone faced with such tactics should stand up and say "not in my name". It happened over here - people didn't stop going into pubs or travelling on the Tube or using shopping centres. People didn't stop joining the forces. Including the Irish. Remember the Loyalists claimed to be doing it in the name of Britain too...

Just because someone claims it's done in your name doesn't mean that you should make double the effort to distance yourself. Just that you should distance yourself. Nor should it mean that every single member of your community should be treated like a terrorist, as the OP seems to desire.
  • Options
    Sorry, the point I was trying to make is that anyone faced with such tactics should stand up and say "not in my name". It happened over here - people didn't stop going into pubs or travelling on the Tube or using shopping centres. People didn't stop joining the forces. Including the Irish. Remember the Loyalists claimed to be doing it in the name of Britain too...

Just because someone claims it's done in your name doesn't mean that you should make double the effort to distance yourself. Just that you should distance yourself. Nor should it mean that every single member of your community should be treated like a terrorist, as the OP seems to desire.
    my desire? now now... you got owned :P
  • Options

Of course I need to make more effort to distance myself than you did. When those murdering fucks in the UVF shot dead a Catholic as a Northern Irish Unionist I do need to make more effort to distance myself than an Englishman, because they claim they're doing it for me - not for you. And of course as a young man with an Irish accent the police are going to be more suspicious of me than an old woman with a Cornish accent if we're sitting in a pub near Aldershot.