Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Bomber warns: there are more like me in Yemen

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/bomber-warns-there-are-more-like-me-in-yemen-1852092.html

let me tone it down a bit then...

how about profiling people:

have those that look like a terrorist (and you and i know who those would be) have one security line and those that dont look like a terrorist have another. it will make the lives of those who dont look like a terrorist much easier.

it already goes on (or doesnt it?) so cant we jsut be frank about it

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Please explain the connection between a man (rightly or wrongly) executed for drug smuggling and airport screening for terrorists.

Or are you only really here to make overtly racist comments about who does or does not look like a terrorist?
    haha shit my mistake. took the wrong article :s
    Yeah, gotta agree with Olive there - I can see absolutely no relationship whatsoever between the story you have provided a link to, and your comments about profiling terrorists.

And what would one have to look like to look like a terrorist, incidentally?
    jamelia wrote: »
    Yeah, gotta agree with Olive there - I can see absolutely no relationship whatsoever between the story you have provided a link to, and your comments about profiling terrorists.

And what would one have to look like to look like a terrorist, incidentally?
    ive corrected the mistake.

anyway, just ask around your street and see what response theyll give you.

what a true terrorist looks like to me sits behind a desk...
    Are you basically saying that anyone with brown skin should face more intrusive security measures at airports than white people?
    Just because someone looks like a terrorist, doesn't mean they are or will be.
    jamelia wrote: »
    Are you basically saying that anyone with brown skin should face more intrusive security measures at airports than white people?
    well do you actually think that isnt what happens?
    Melian wrote: »
    Just because someone looks like a terrorist, doesn't mean they are or will be.
    youre onto something there. do go on.
    justjames wrote: »

How about you answer my question first?
    not 'should' because they already do

I'm pretty sure they don't do that. They have cause for concern for people who look suspicious, but that's not correlated with race.

I do see where you are getting your thinking from, but I think you're going about it the wrong way.

Personally I'm not afraid of the terrorists and would rather they let me take liquids back on planes. But maybe I'm reckless.

Terrorism isn't about race, its about ideas. Just because there may be correlation between race and ideas doesn't mean there is causality. This is a really important distinction to make.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they don't do that. They have cause for concern for people who look suspicious, but that's not correlated with race.

I do see where you are getting your thinking from, but I think you're going about it the wrong way.

Personally I'm not afraid of the terrorists and would rather they let me take liquids back on planes. But maybe I'm reckless.

Terrorism isn't about race, its about ideas. Just because there may be correlation between race and ideas doesn't mean there is causality. This is a really important distinction to make.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation
    do you actually think that a 1.8m tall, blonde, rosy cheek man would be considered a security risk over a bearded man wearing a something like a thawb?
    Anyone can be a terrorist and blow things up. You're using confirmation bias. You see a terrorist who is also dark skinned, to support your conjecture that terrorists are more likely to be dark skinned.

If you want to test the conjecture you need to see if there are terrorists who are not dark skinned. Which of course, there are. Because terrorists throughout history have come from all walks of life and from all races and all religions and all classes.

Imagine if there was a vaccine for HIV tomorrow. And they started giving it out at hospitals. Your approach would be 'gay people and african people have more HIV, so we only need to really give them the vaccine' and leave the rest of the population unprotected. A comprehensive approach however can ensure that everyone is protected. Just because they are less likely to have it statistically, doesn't mean that they individually have less chance of getting it if exposed.
    no i think its you whos missing the context here. if it were a couple of decades ago, it would be the irish who would be watched upon, frankly.
    internment in northern ireland was wrong and violated those interned human rights. the same applies to the japanese residents in the united states in ww2. in hindsight both would appear to have been unsuccessful in the overall aim of peace.
    ok
    Christ James, you're not a BNP supporter too are you?

The profiling aspect isn't just about how someone looks you know.
    MoK wrote: »
    The profiling aspect isn't just about how someone looks you know.
    you think so?

try to do an experiment on that and share with us the result
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/bomber-warns-there-are-more-like-me-in-yemen-1852092.html

let me tone it down a bit then...

how about profiling people:

have those that look like a terrorist (and you and i know who those would be) have one security line and those that dont look like a terrorist have another. it will make the lives of those who dont look like a terrorist much easier.

it already goes on (or doesnt it?) so cant we jsut be frank about it

What about white terrorists?
    MrG wrote: »
    What about white terrorists?
    it isnt trendy these days
    What about white Muslims ...rocketing.
    What about Timothy Mcvie ...all whit American terrorist?
    ok as you already probably know, our political classifications of race and religion is a rather recent construct in human affairs.

Not all muslims will be deemed a security risk, for isntance, older generation pakistanis or american muslims. and intelligence plays a large role in monitoring and identifying those who are deemed a hazard.

But for young muslim boys, whatever the colour of their skin, should work twice as hard at behaving themselves, watching what they say and who they make friends with because they fit the current profile.
    ok as you already probably know, our political classifications of race and religion is a rather recent construct in human affairs.

Not all muslims will be deemed a security risk, for isntance, older generation pakistanis or american muslims. and intelligence plays a large role in monitoring and identifying those who are deemed a hazard.

But for young muslim boys, whatever the colour of their skin, should work twice as hard at behaving themselves, watching what they say and who they make friends with because they fit the current profile.

Intelligence the last few years has turned out to be a load of bollox has it not?
    Older Muslims?
    Some older ones have seen their entire families burned alive ...torn to shreds ...by us ...they have a lot to be angry back.
    Don't start this bullshit about brain washing the youngsters please.
    Many suicide bombers have been middle aged professionals ...intellectuals and mothers who's hearts have been broken beyond repair.
    sorry, it is you who is starting this bullshit about brain washing the youngsters, PLEASE

granted intelligence has been a load of bollocks, it still plays a role.

and its very touching to talk about broken hearts and we can see how sympathetic you are. good choice of words. you should mention burning babies as well. bravo.
    you think so?

try to do an experiment on that and share with us the result

Well, yeah. If they do act suspicious, then there'd be a reason for the authorities to suspect they're a terrorist. Nothing to do with race at all.

Nicky Reilly, anyone? He's white.

By the same reasoning all British and American young men travelling to Middle Eastern countries should work twice as hard too, to prove they're not gunt-toting, illegal invading occupiers and war criminals. At the end of the day, their governments and armies are, and have killed far more innocent civilians than Al Qaida could possibly hope to achieve.

But we don't really use that kind of reasoning, do we?
    Aladdin wrote: »
    By the same reasoning all British and American young men travelling to Middle Eastern countries should work twice as hard too, to prove they're not gunt-toting, illegal invading occupiers and war criminals. At the end of the day, their governments and armies are, and have killed far more innocent civilians than Al Qaida could possibly hope to achieve.

But we don't really use that kind of reasoning, do we?
    youre on to something

its because its outside the spectrum of debate
    It's not because it's outside the spectrum of debate. That's just classic neo-con paranoia, believing that you and you alone are speaking the truth that everybody else is thinking, but no one else has the courage to say, and some elusive liberal elite are trying to stifle.

In fact, there are loads of people coming out with that type of bullshit, millions of them, so it's hardly outside the spectrum of debate and you're hardly some brave warrior for truth for raising it.

It's just that the other side of the debate - the side that says there is something highly illiberal and morally reprehensible about assuming people are going to blow up planes, solely on the basis of the colour of their skin and their slightly Arabic sounding name - is supported by much more persuasive arguments and is a much more reasonable and rational position.
    you should realise that you are right now accepting the presuposition of what some elusive liberal elite is. likewise with what you think is classic neo-con paranoia.