Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do you fear death?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Not wanting to piss on your beliefs or anything, but unfortunately you've contradicted yourself. True Atheists don't believe in any sort of afterlife ;)

I'm afraid you're mistaken. Atheists simply don't believe in the existence of gods - Buddhism is atheist.

Positivism, on the other hand doesn't believe in gods, the supernatural, or souls - basically if you can't positively prove it is, it isn't.
  • Options
    I fear the pain of dying. Most of us will not go quietly in our sleep but will die due to some awful death from cancer, heart attack, stroke or car accident. It sucks. That's why I am a supporter of euthanasia. If I was very ill, I should be able to decide when and how I go.

I'm agnostic leaning towards atheism.

p.s. Happy Christmas everyone! :)
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Not wanting to piss on your beliefs or anything, but unfortunately you've contradicted yourself. True Atheists don't believe in any sort of afterlife ;)

If you're looking for a word to describe your belief the best fitting one would be agnostic, someone who either believes it's impossible to know for sure if there is a God, or a person who rejects the possibility of a God but believes in the afterlife and supernatural.

As for me, I'm not scared of death, I try not to think about it. I know I'll die one day, I'm more worried/concerned/unsure as to what'll happen after.
    I'm unable to comprehend nothingness, or ceasing to exist.

Meh whatever. I believe what I believe and do what I wanna do. Not everything has to have a name or a label
  • Options
    Not really..because it'll either hurt when I die..and then it'll stop hurting..
    and then there'll be nothing, so it won't affect me..
    or it'll be Heaven and everything'll be hunkydory..
    or Hell, and people who are weaker than me'll have to manage it so I'm sure I'll be able to get over it.
    I call myself Christian, but I have a bit of an issue with some of the things that kinda go with it..like this.
    I don't really see much point in being scared, it's going to happen anyway.
  • Options
    I'm really, really scared. Mainly because I just can't imagine what it's like. Sometimes I think it'll be like sleeping, as in you don't really know what's going on but it's so hard to imagine it'll be like that FOREVER.
  • Options
    Its hard to fear death until you are right there at the point, thinking you wont make it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not sure if I'm afraid of death, but I am afraid of dying before having experienced life.
    As for what I believe happens... I believe I don't know.
    Olive wrote: »
    Course I do. It's unknown, isn't it?
    In that case, are you just as afraid of Robin Stark?
  • Options
    I haven't read it all.
    I'm always intriqued by atheists who hope there is some kind of afterlife.
    The universe and life come together after a series of chemical accidents and accidently builds somewhere else for us to go later ...an even better place.
    I can't get my head round that one.
  • Options
    In that case, are you just as afraid of Robin Stark?

:chin:

Death is universally unknown. For all we know, it could be utterly horrific. So yeah, that scares me.

I'm not scared of ALL unknown things.
  • Options
    I'm terrified of ceasing to be. Of course, when it happens I wont mind.
  • Options

Death is universally unknown. For all we know, it could be utterly horrific. So yeah, that scares me.

I'm not scared of ALL unknown things.
    Ah, but are you sure of that? How can you be sure that there isn't a person somewhere in the world (maybe a wise hermit) who knows exactly what happens after death but deems it better to let nobody know? ;)
  • Options
    Ah, but are you sure of that? How can you be sure that there isn't a person somewhere in the world (maybe a wise hermit) who knows exactly what happens after death but deems it better to let nobody know? ;)

So many people 'know' what happens after death that he wouldn't exactly
    be unusual.
  • Options

:yes: Also the fact that thre could be something afterwards scares me - what if you do live forever, just in a different form? Forever is a long time. But then what if there's nothing? That scares me too because I can't get my head around nothing.
  • Options
    Heaven?
    Hell?
    The devil always has the best music.
  • Options
    I KNOW there is an afterlife as my hubby has seen a ghost in our flat of someone known to me when she was alive. He never met her but identified her from a photo in a book and she once lived in my flat when it was a house at the age she was in the book and the age she now haunts my flat. She died in her 80's but is in my flat as an 11 year old ish. That scares me. Did she come back here as it was her happiest time? Do you haunt several places in different forms? Is she here as she has unfinished business? Is she watching over me to protect me?

According to my hugely Christian grandma, she is not who she appears to be but is work of the devil and my hubby can see her as he is not yet with God and it is the devil trying to get to him.

Stories I've heard from relatives who have attended spiritualist church also scare the hell out of me.

Am I scared of death? Yes, scared of how it will happen and the consequences. scared of what the f*** will happen to me afterwards. Something none of us will know until it happens!
  • Options
    Even if you do believe in ghosts and you've seen one, that doesn't prove it's the soul of a dead person. One of the other theories about ghosts might be the correct one, like the theory that they're the imprints of strong emotions people felt at a time.
  • Options
    Life is strange..no one can know the meaning of life. Many of us reflect whilst young and get the odd thought if its all a dream or an illusion of some kind. I grew up in a family where my parents feared death instead of face the ultimate. Since leaving home and gaining independence I look ahead to the day my life may end. Believe in accepting the day when I will be no more- I'm an atheist too and see people as biological beings rathar than destined for an afterlife where you meet deceased relatives
  • Options
    I don't really give myself time to think about it.

However, my grandparents are over 90 and getting closer to death. They've had a full life and seen lots of grandchildren and great grandchildren born. My grandfather has started talking about death like the most natural thing and joked to me recently that he sure isn't going to be a sailor/captain in his next life like this one (he sailed in the second WW and had quite a few 'adventures'). I think that when the body starts failing it's easier to accept that your time is over and that this is the next natural progression, to die.
  • Options
    I don't fear death. I fear what comes afterwards.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    I don't fear death. I fear what comes afterwards.
    Fear the unkown?
  • Options
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Fear the unkown?

Something like that. The idea of a "void", nothing, or silence and loneliness is actually a bit scary.

Still seeing as I'm now more than halfway in my life expectancy I'll let you know when the day finally comes, okay? :thumb:
  • Options
    I used to be spiritual in some way. I wouldn't say I was Christian, but I believed there was an afterlife something like heaven, or perhaps that we even went from one soul to another body, like reincarnation. I felt that life meant something, in the same way a child believes Santa can magic down a chimney or that 'true love' finds a way if we believe disney films.

Then my dad died, and I was dissillusioned, because if there was any meaning or anything that meant anything, he would not have died then and there or whatever. But the truth is that things happen - good things, bad things - just because they do. There is no higher meaning or higher purpose or plan or anything like that.

So with that, I realised any one of us could die at any time. There was no karma that saved those who led virtuous lives and punished those who hurt others. It came down to random chance. A human life is only important because we believe it to be so. Our own life is only important because we believe it to be so.

And I still don't wish to die, I should get that much straight. I would live forever if I could - imagine the excitement of seeing a hundred different centuries as the world evolves and everything changes. But of death itself I'm not really scared anymore, because there is no purpose I am here to fill, it's just chance I'm here, and I could get struck by a car or a blackhole could suck the solar system out of existence, by random chance, and I would be dead. I don't 'fear' the day at which some horrible circumstances coalesce to stop oxygen going to my brain resulting in my 'conciousness' dying off.

After death, I think it is irrelevant, because we don't know, and we never can know, and so while it may make interesting pub discussion I don't think I should detract from my life worrying over it excessively, let alone fearing what comes after death.

Maybe that's all naive though. Just my perspective really.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Something like that. The idea of a "void", nothing, or silence and loneliness is actually a bit scary.

Still seeing as I'm now more than halfway in my life expectancy I'll let you know when the day finally comes, okay? :thumb:
    If just one person came back from death and told the world what death is like, then the power of the unknown is broken. Everyone can confront death easier

Confront the fear it weakens right?
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote: »
    I'm really, really scared. Mainly because I just can't imagine what it's like. Sometimes I think it'll be like sleeping, as in you don't really know what's going on but it's so hard to imagine it'll be like that FOREVER.
    That's how I feel. Like after waking up, you can't remember going to sleep, but you do know time has passed... so it'll be like going to sleep, but never waking up to know you fell asleep. I just can't imagine *I* no longer existing, but then *I* doesn't really exist when I'm asleep, so it must be possible :crazyeyes
  • Options
    i too came extremely close to death out of choice and i found the same and the opposite were true.....
    on the one hand feelings of utter satisfaction, complete sense of peace and wellbeing...
    on the other hand it was rudely inturrupted by devilish, demonic and dark feelings of immense loss and iminent pain and suffering
    so kind of a mixed bag for me but thats just me lol :)
  • Options
    I don't fear death at all. I'm going to die at some point or other, it's just something that will happen one day.
  • Options
    Do you fear death?

Yes ofcourse ill fear death because i ve family..i ve look on them if im death who ll take care of them,,,...
  • Options
    Nah not really, i mean its a very weird thought knowing that one day we will die and that thats that, no more. Im not necessarily scared of dying, we all die. I hope when the time comes im an old man and i die comfortably.

I think the worst part of it is knowing you leave your family behind and all that.

But anyway, this is all very depressing. Don't think about dying, think about living!
  • Options
    I dont fear death. It's inevitable.

What bothers me though is to die without making a significant contribution in improving this world, our society, to improve the lives of those who will be left behind, of those who will take over its management. But on this little mission of mine, it is lonely, thus sometimes I would contemplate whether if it is still worth carrying on living.
  • Options
    Death is natural, but what I fear is that it might be painful. I had some health problems like a year ago, it lasted for 3 moths and was very painful. So yeah, when my time comes I hope it'll be quick, possibly in my sleep