Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do you fear death?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

I used to be quite scared of death, but in facing my own mortality completely out of choice I find it's not actually all that bad. More, an arbitrary and quite nessesary element of life. I fear suffering and loss of independence a hell of a lot more than death.

I'm not going to further sway the discussion, as this is clearly a highly personal and sensitive subject. All I will say is that I am an Atheist and as far as I am concerned when I will die, that will be the end of my subjective perception I call "I".

What is everyone elses perspective on death and what does it mean to you?

Comments

• Options
    I too am an Atheist so dont believe in Heaven but I would like to believe that our souls continue on somewhere, somehow... I believe in ghosts and spirits and since my brother died would like to believe this even more.

As for dying, I dont fear it as its inevitable but what i do fear is dying.. how will it happen, will it be painful, will i live out my elderly years neglected in a care home?
  • Options
    I have a bigger fear for being burried or burnt alive.
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »

As for dying, I dont fear it as its inevitable but what i do fear is dying..

Is that not a complete contradiction? You don't fear dying because it's inevitable, but what you do fear is dying ... :confused:

Anyway, as for me. I'm not particularly scared of it as such, everyone dies, I think everyone has their time and there is nothing you can do about it, it's just something you have to accept will happen. I just hope it won't be painful etc and I won't be completely alone.
  • Options

If you die for an unknown reason I'm sure a post mortem will ensure that you're property dead :)
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Is that not a complete contradiction? You don't fear dying because it's inevitable, but what you do fear is dying ...

Not if you take the rest of the sentence with it. and put is in itallics.
  • Options
    If you die for an unknown reason I'm sure a post mortem will ensure that you're property dead :)

I know but sill! how horrid! i also watch to much TV and have seen people who have not been dead wake up in the post mortem! :blush:
  • Options
    I know but sill! how horrid! i also watch to much TV and have seen people who have not been dead wake up in the post mortem! :blush:

Well it's better than waking up whilst being buried I suppose !! You'll have to tell someone to carry out some tests on you to ensure you're property dead before they do whatever they do with you. Not entirely sure what though !!
  • Options
    CSI? I saw that one. I was like OMGWHAT. Scared the bejeesus out of me.

I don't fear death. I fear dying, but not death.

Then again, I'm scared of the dark and of being in the house on my own, so ya know.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    CSI? I saw that one. I was like OMGWHAT. Scared the bejeesus out of me.

I don't fear death. I fear dying, but not death.

Then again, I'm scared of the dark and of being in the house on my own, so ya know.

YES! that one! I jumped so high!

your not alone *giggles*
  • Options
    I don't fear dying but I fear the grief others experience that goes along with death, especially if I were to dye young and my parents were still alive. I also fear the death of those I love... if that makes any sense at all :p
  • Options
    I don't fear death in the slightest, but would sooner not go right now...
  • Options
    Not as much as I fear my new plasma telly falling off the wall bracket.
  • Options
    Is that not a complete contradiction? You don't fear dying because it's inevitable, but what you do fear is dying ... :confused:

I kno I just re-read it. What I mean is what Franki said, I dont fear death itself but the process of dying.
  • Options
    No, I am invincible. Even if I'm wrong, my legend will live on with a life of its own forever.
  • Options
    I am scared of death because I worry it could be something really horrible, like still being conscious but trapped in your dead body forever or at least until all your brain cells rot away, or hell in the traditional sense or modern sense where you're just alone.
  • Options
    Ah, if video games have taught me anything I'll just get another go if something kills me unexpectedly. Naturally, I believe this.

Or if that isn't true, I just wouldn't care. What with being dead and all. Hence, while I'm a registered organ doner. So long as I'm burried to 'Going Underground by The Jam
  • Options
    I just had to read the title out loud in the voice of Davy Jones. :{

Moving on, I would quite welocome death at this point. What I fear is the pain involved in actually dying, and the grief suffered by those I would leave behind. But at least once I can finally be at peace.
  • Options
    I try not to think about it too often. The more you think about it, the more likely you are to stress over it. At least for me. I've seen some god-awful photographs of people who have suffered horrible accidents and such and, well... yikes.

Must think about flowers and ponies now.
  • Options
    Course I do. It's unknown, isn't it?
  • Options
    I would like to believe that our souls continue on somewhere, somehow

They do. And the souless husk we leave behind gets a job in Argos.
  • Options
    "And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I
    Don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?
    There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime."

I'm with that guy!
  • Options

I was like that years ago. I watched a program about people being buried alive. Scared me. I did say, after watching the buried alive program that I would like a bell on my coffin, so if I did wake up I could keep ringing the bell :) But, I hope I don't have to worry about that now because im hoping my organs will be of some use to someone.

I am scared of dying and im not.
  • Options
    I too am an Atheist so dont believe in Heaven but I would like to believe that our souls continue on somewhere, somehow... I believe in ghosts and spirits and since my brother died would like to believe this even more.

Not wanting to piss on your beliefs or anything, but unfortunately you've contradicted yourself. True Atheists don't believe in any sort of afterlife ;)

If you're looking for a word to describe your belief the best fitting one would be agnostic, someone who either believes it's impossible to know for sure if there is a God, or a person who rejects the possibility of a God but believes in the afterlife and supernatural.

As for me, I'm not scared of death, I try not to think about it. I know I'll die one day, I'm more worried/concerned/unsure as to what'll happen after.
    I'm unable to comprehend nothingness, or ceasing to exist.
  • Options
    Oh dear Whowhere, do you need to take control of other people so much that you need to tell them their own beliefs? A "true" atheist indeed.
  • Options
    I try not to think about it...it's odd to think one day I'll not be here and not exist :nervous:

I hope there is an after life though :yes:
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Oh dear Whowhere, do you need to take control of other people so much that you need to tell them their own beliefs? A "true" atheist indeed.

All I did was tell her the proper definition. I'm a cat. I have 2 legs and opposable thumbs. Humans have fur, whiskers and go "meow".

Until someone tells me otherwise, how am I to know any different......?
  • Options
    Thought pig!
  • Options
    Has it really bothered you that much?
  • Options
    When you sleep for X number of hours, the time passes by quickly and you may even remember a dream or 2. That's why sleeping isn't boring. When you die though, I guess it'll be like sleeping for a short while, maybe a day or so, until your bodily functions stops entirely. I bet after that it's really boring. Unless you manifest yourself into another life, be it human an animal or even something in another solar system/galaxy.
  • Options
    I'm a true atheist then. A true non-believer so i just believe you die and end up in the ground and that's the end of that. I'd rather not challenge my beliefs at my tender young age *cough* and find out that soon.
    And yes i fear dying. I had an accident two weeks ago and when i'd come round after it i felt a slight flash of fear. I think it's more the control issue to me. The fact that one day i know the situation will be out of my control and i won't be able to stop the inevitable.