Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

HPV vaccine/Veganism

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just to clear something up from waaaay back. (I know you've made your decision blah blah blah but in case anyone else reads it.)

About the whole sexually active thing... I could be wrong but this is my understanding of it.

It is given to girls at a young age because its been proven to work best that way, and also it is less likely they will have been sexually active. But still... just because someone has been sexually active doesn't mean there is no point getting it. (Otherwise why would they be bothering to do a catch up programme with 17/18 yr olds getting it)

The HPV virus can cause some types of cervical cancer... (aswell as other stuff) and is passed on through sexual contact. And yeah... its not like just because you've suddenly had sex the vaccine doesn't work. Its simply might be less likely to work because you might have contracted one of the strains of HPV already. But you might not... and there are several types anyway. Sooo yeah. :thumb:

:yes: I've had them and i'm 17. And yeah pretects you against two strains that cause 70% of all cervical cancer.
  • Options
    I sympathise with you being a vegetarian, and I know animal testing can be pretty horrific and what I say probably won't change your mind, but please reconsider having the jab.

Animal life is important, but *your* life is far more important. As a human you have an incredible capacity for mental and emotional pain, suffering, joy, happiness, love, euphoria...you can ask questions of meaning and existence, reflect on your life and what it means to be human and what your place in the universe is...you can make and appreciate art, literature, music...you are part of something so much larger than yourself, a humanity that has a far-reaching history and capacity and appreciation for the feelings and perspectives of others...you have unique relationships with family and friends, you contribute to their lives in meaningful ways, make a difference to them just by knowing them...one day maybe you will have children, and you will be the most important thing in their universe and one of the biggest influencing factors on who they are and the type of people they grow up to be. You have the potential to literally change the world.

An animal has none of this. By being vegan, you're already making a lot of sacrifices for what you believe in, and that is great, however there is really nothing wrong with putting your own health and wellbeing above that of an animal's. That doesn't mean you've violated all of your principles, or make being a vegan somehow less meaningful, it just means you appreciate yourself as a human being, and all you have to offer, and acknowledge your self-worth and the importance of yourself to other people.

Having had a close relative die very horribly of this type of cancer, I think it is so important that you make the decision that is best for you and consider the impact of what you're doing not just on yourself, but on the lives of those around you and of potential children that you may have. You'd be massively reducing the risk of something that women in your family seem to have a vulnerability to.

Ultimately it is your life and your decision and I respect that you have strong principles that you want to uphold, but in some circumstances it really is completely morally justifiable and understandable to put your own health and wellbeing, and the health and wellbeing of those you love, above your consideration for the suffering of animals. There are other, more significant ways you can make an impact than by just not having the jab.
  • Options
    I see what your saying, but if the animals were willing then I'd have the jab. But because the animals can't tell us what they do and don't wish to do, I will not have the jab... Because I can see no way the animal would be willing to go through such a life. And I use the term life very very loosely.

Anyway yeah- I've been researching more into animal testing and am fully decided not to have the jab. But if I ever change my mind, which I strongly doubt I will, then the option is still there (says on the form)
    X