Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What's in the Boot of your car?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Trolley jack, axle stand, two torque wrenches, all sockets and extensions, 3 ratchets, torx bits, allen key bits, allen keys, hammer, old rags, WD40, 3-in-1 spray oil, cable ties, spare wire, wheel brace, hammer, spanners, old HT leads, silicon grease, copper grease, multimeter, wire brush, sandpaper, various pliers and a pair of pipe wrenches, spare wheel, scissor jack, and the Haynes book of lies. Oh, and a couple of bin bags to lie on if the ground is wet.

Rear floors have de-icer, 4 litres of oil, and an empty 5 litre bottle of water. Only used to top-up the washers during winter. Rear seat has a coat and a fleece.

Glovebox has screenwash detergent, painkillers, small atlas, kitchen roll, and some other tat.
  • Options
    sneer wrote: »
    being a fairly recent legal road user: what SHOULD I have in my boot...or at least somewhere in the car?

I'm guessing water is pretty vital.

Screenwash, engine oil, jump leads and a blanket all sound pretty useful/sensible. What else?!

Unless your car is a right banger can't see any reason to carry oil with you 24/7.

I've never carried water either, except in the USA when we crossed a dessert, then we carried loads just in case we broke down.

I would say my jump starter and tyre weld are the most essential things.

The car starter can inflate tyres, also has a torch and flashing lights.

I have a spare wheel and jack, etc but that all sits under the carpet.

Imagine breaking down on a wet, raining motorway, with the car full of stuff and getting a flat tyre.

You'd have to totally remove all the stuff from the back of the car, put it most likely on the wet road to get to the tyre, jack, etc then work in the rain to get the spare on and put the old one back in the car - would be a total mess and potentially very dangerous if a car went into the back of you. That why I have Tyre Weld so in such a situation can pull over, grab the can from the back and inflate it and be back on the road and drive to a safer location to have it properly looked at.

Some forums I've seen actually suggest having two cans in the car as one might not get the job done.
  • Options
    Trolley jack, axle stand, two torque wrenches, all sockets and extensions, 3 ratchets, torx bits, allen key bits, allen keys, hammer, old rags, WD40, 3-in-1 spray oil, cable ties, spare wire, wheel brace, hammer, spanners, old HT leads, silicon grease, copper grease, multimeter, wire brush, sandpaper, various pliers and a pair of pipe wrenches, spare wheel, scissor jack, and the Haynes book of lies. Oh, and a couple of bin bags to lie on if the ground is wet.

Rear floors have de-icer, 4 litres of oil, and an empty 5 litre bottle of water. Only used to top-up the washers during winter. Rear seat has a coat and a fleece.

Glovebox has screenwash detergent, painkillers, small atlas, kitchen roll, and some other tat.

Do you live in your car?
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Its funny how many people do not have the essentials, or what i would presume to be the norm,

I also have (under my passenger seat but not in the boot the de-icer, oil, maps etc

I have deicer, scrapers, etc but not in summer
  • Options
    Maddie. :p
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Do you live in your car?

Nope, just make sure I'm prepared. I own them, so may as well keep them where they're likely to be handy. Same goes for the bike, I've a full set of spanners, screwdrivers, etc in my backpack. :)
  • Options
    A saddle, bridle, two nosebands, helmet, saddle blanket, whip, gumboots, lightweight jacket, woolen hat, uhhh camping stuff, a tent, sleeping bags, car seat for a kid, fishing rods, my boyfriend's gym bag...

Yeah I think I'm overdue to clean out of my car. :chin:
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    A saddle, bridle, two nosebands, helmet, saddle blanket, whip, gumboots, lightweight jacket, woolen hat, uhhh camping stuff, a tent, sleeping bags, car seat for a kid, fishing rods, my boyfriend's gym bag...

Yeah I think I'm overdue to clean out of my car. :chin:

... Star trek uniforms....
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Maddie. :p

:lol::lol: I know it shouldn't, but that really made me giggle.
  • Options
    Absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    does no one have food in their car incase of emergencys? my mum always an kendel mint bars just incase we broke down on a remote road and no one could get to us for 24 hrs - possible in rural spain, not so much in devon...
  • Options
    Nope - I live in Central London. Doubtful I am going to be stuck somewhere not 5 minutes from food ;)

If I am doing a longer journey I stock up specifically for that trip.
  • Options
    Nope, just make sure I'm prepared. I own them, so may as well keep them where they're likely to be handy. Same goes for the bike, I've a full set of spanners, screwdrivers, etc in my backpack. :)

I wonder how much extra you pay in fuel charges to lug all that heavy stuff around with you. :chin:
  • Options
    does no one have food in their car incase of emergencys? my mum always an kendel mint bars just incase we broke down on a remote road and no one could get to us for 24 hrs - possible in rural spain, not so much in devon...

I have a can of coke = liquid for thirst, caffeine to keep you alert and lots of sugar for energy.

If I was driving in a rural area then would carry more then in London
  • Options
    As i said above a 24hour rat pack n hexi burner, useby on those last forever :p
  • Options
    You have to be somewhere very rural to not be half hours walk from a pub!
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Nope - I live in Central London. Doubtful I am going to be stuck somewhere not 5 minutes from food ;)

If I am doing a longer journey I stock up specifically for that trip.

What he said. Except the living in London part. ;)
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I wonder how much extra you pay in fuel charges to lug all that heavy stuff around with you. :chin:

Nothing noticeable. I'm anal regarding my economy - I get a consistent 29.5-31.5mpg with day-to-day running, regardless of what's in the boot.

There's probably only 25kg of stuff in there, a bit more if the water bottle was full. Compared to the weight of the car, it's not a big issue. :)
  • Options
    Nothing noticeable. I'm anal regarding my economy - I get a consistent 29.5-31.5mpg with day-to-day running, regardless of what's in the boot.

There's probably only 25kg of stuff in there, a bit more if the water bottle was full. Compared to the weight of the car, it's not a big issue. :)

Hey, a Moustache cost £5 a year in petrol or whatever top gear worked it out to be :)
  • Options
    Old numberplates, tyre pressuriser, some walking boots and a kettle plug.
  • Options
    I was in my trunk yesterday and saw there was a coffee mug in there as well. Hopefully it was clean when I threw it back there as I can't recall the last time I used it. I think it was transfered over from the last car to this one. Mmmm mouldy coffee. :yum:

I left it in there.
  • Options
    In my dads boot was my lollerskates that i had when i was like 11.
  • Options
    glass bottles that I forgot to recycle, bits of rubbish which I meant to take to the tip(and forgot) dog blanket, (curious as no dog!) various bottles of this and that (in case I run out on the motorway and the car dies on me!) supermarket (bags for life) which I always forget to take in with me when I go to the supermarket, spare bulbs abd fuses that I have no idea where to place if something packs up, the list izz endless my friend.