Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bad weather alert

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Never said I was expecting everything to run completely smoothly. In adverse weather conditions, some delays are inevitable. For example, in heavy rain where there is poor visibility, you're inevitably gonna have to slow down. Perfectly happy to accept that. But shutting down almost the entire transport system of London because of a few inches of snow? That simply isn't good enough. Boris Johnson has a lot to answer for.

I've been watching local weather reports (Wales) and they're now saying that parts of the country are now running low on grit and salt. Honestly...

Again, have you actually read the other posts properly or listened to the news at all? It's not been jsut a few inches of snow, it was the worst snowfall in 18 years, where i am in the suburbs we got a good 6-8 inches of the stuff. More in some areas where the snow drifted and piled up more.

It's not as if this is an everyday occurrence, it's more like once or twice a decade in which as others have stated, it's not exactly cost effective keeping fleets of snowploughs ready to use and maintained for such a rare event.

As for stockpiles of grit and salt... as soon as you chucked the stuff down it was getting covered up again, been 2 days worth of snow, so not hugely surprising there either...
  • Options
    I do agree with SG to a degree though. The entire London bus network being suspended for the day seems unjustified and a bailout. Some routes at least could have run without problems. As it happens there were almost no cars yesterday, yet any semi-major or through route was perfectly passable. Especially for large vehicles such as buses.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Never said I was expecting everything to run completely smoothly. In adverse weather conditions, some delays are inevitable. For example, in heavy rain where there is poor visibility, you're inevitably gonna have to slow down. Perfectly happy to accept that. But shutting down almost the entire transport system of London because of a few inches of snow? That simply isn't good enough. Boris Johnson has a lot to answer for.

I've been watching local weather reports (Wales) and they're now saying that parts of the country are now running low on grit and salt. Honestly...

Unfortunately, you seem to miss the points that snow is a completely different thing to heavy rain, and that salt and grit are only so effective. :rolleyes: :yeees: :thumb:

Look, I live in Central London, and things were indeed a bit of a mess for a while. I ended up having to drive into the office this afternoon as things were coming apart without me being there to sort certain things out - I'm still working now, but at home, and I can assure you that the side streets, of which there are quite a few in London, are still quite dicey in places.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I do agree with SG to a degree though. The entire London bus network being suspended for the day seems unjustified and a bailout. Some routes at least could have run without problems. As it happens there were almost no cars yesterday, yet any semi-major or through route was perfectly passable. Especially for large vehicles such as buses.

That's not the only problem though - the other problem is that the staff were unable to get into work to drive the blasted buses.