Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

McCain vs Obama

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Is there actually that much difference in policy between the two? Both are a departure from Bush as Dis points out, which is extremely welcome news, but at the end of the day I wonder what difference it might make to the average American. I don\'t think Obama is planning to raise taxes or to improve welfare and healthcare much, is he?

Quite so.

Every person (with the possible exception of Ron Paul) who has put their name forward appears to be a practising communist or, at least, promoting policies of that ilk.

However,if that is your thing (and the evidence suggests it is the predilection of many), it looks like you already have a President to do your bidding.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Bring Hilary on board for health reform
    Softly mention New Orleans as much as possible
    Stress the torture problems around the American involvement in Iraq and the war on terror to put McCain in a difficult position
    Push back as hard and as agressively against any negative campaigning produced by the Republican

and I reckon you could have a Democrat president.

But isn't McCain opposed to torture anyway after his POW experiences?
  • Options
    Obama Bush and Cheney all related........................:banghead: :crazyeyes
    http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/2007/10/obama_bush_and_cheney_cousins/

How come the same old families keep on running the show ...it's like some kind of medieval dynasty.
  • Options
    How come the same old families keep on running the show ...it's like some kind of medieval dynasty.

They're eighth cousins - I don't know about you but I have no idea who my eighth cousins are (they too could be Bush, Cheney and Obama)
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »

Beaten to it by the Flash.

I'm really hoping that Obama doesn't get talked into taking Clinton as VP as he'll have no chance there. I'm also wondering what the chances of him getting through the four years alive.
  • Options

I'm really hoping that Obama doesn't get talked into taking Clinton as VP as he'll have no chance there. I'm also wondering what the chances of him getting through the four years alive.

A lot more if he goes for Clinton - any far-right nutcake has to realise that they'd then get Hilary as President

(unless of course you're refering to Hilary's none to subtle comments recently and are wondering if it'll be her and Bill on the grassy knoll with the rifle;) )
  • Options
    A lot more if he goes for Clinton - any far-right nutcake has to realise that they'd then get Hilary as President

(unless of course you're refering to Hilary's none to subtle comments recently and are wondering if it'll be her and Bill on the grassy knoll with the rifle;) )

I actually thought along both lines recently :thumb:

I can imagine the dilemma for any would-be assassins, kill Obama and get Clinton, :chin: Its like Blazing Saddles in real life!!!
  • Options

That was my point actually - on military experience and and experience in running a war I can't see Obama having anyway to make inroads on McCain.

By focusing on improving the ethical behaviour of soldiers fighting the war and the previous torture you create an issue that the two candidates would found concensus on - somewhat defusing the war as a central theme of the campaign and sparing Obama some of the flak from the anti-war comments of his church leader. It allows Obama something around the war to bring up rather than watch the democrats descend into the defensive back peddling stance of Kerry

Both candidates obviously support the war and would never back an end to it - so he needs an issue around it he can build a platform on. he could even push from the issue of torture to the hardships of American soldiers that resulted in such behaviour (I'm not saying I think that is necessarily what happened but it may make the best spin) and then bring in the equipment problems, poor health services, etc, focusing on the image of a republican party that rushed into something without building in proper safeguards. Which turns it from being a debate about 'you don't want this war as much as I do' into 'let's work together to fight this war the right way'
  • Options
    Why do American's keep making these massive mistakes? First they allowed Bush to get into power of Al Gore and now they choose, well the Democrats choose, Obama over Clinton? WHAT? It is wrong and stupid! She could have handed the Democrats a huge win, she would have probably handled most situations successfully and had real policies and strategies, but in the campaign all i heard was "Obama has so much charism", "What a charasmatic man Obama is", etc! I get it, he is a charasmatic guy... apparently, but he isn't mch of a public figure or politician, im sorry to say he has won more in his speech giving skills and novelty of being ethnic... He might still win the Presidency, but beyond that, who knows if he can actually do the job.
  • Options
    Sooo much for the American healthcare system, at least for another 4 years.
  • Options
    McCain/Palin = Bush/Cheney?

The McCain campaign recently announced Palin and everyone else involved in troopergate will not respond to subpoenas in the investigation. This is a tactic perfected by the Bush administration.

Is this legal? Will there be consequences both legally and electorally because of this? To me it reminds me to much of the politicization of the justice department and Bushes contempt for any sort of oversight.
  • Options
    strjms72 wrote: »
    McCain/Palin = Bush/Cheney?

The McCain campaign recently announced Palin and everyone else involved in troopergate will not respond to subpoenas in the investigation. This is a tactic perfected by the Bush administration.

Is this legal? Will there be consequences both legally and electorally because of this? To me it reminds me to much of the politicization of the justice department and Bushes contempt for any sort of oversight.

Bush has proven nicely that what is legal is really up to those in power, he's broken loads of laws but there has been really no issue with it at all.

Frankly I would rather have four more years of Bush than Palin.
  • Options
    Poster above me was deleted so post doesn't make any sense anymore
  • Options
    Yeah sorry, I've pulled all their posts and will contact them to explain how to post if it's a simple misunderstanding.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Yeah sorry, I've pulled all their posts and will contact them to explain how to post if it's a simple misunderstanding.

No need to apologise - just made me seem like I was being rude to Budda, and if I do that I like it to be on purpose ;)
  • Options
    No need to apologise - just made me seem like I was being rude to Budda, and if I do that I like it to be on purpose ;)

And poo to you too.
  • Options
    I don't know if you see this :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UaRXvRwhOk
    Don't Vote. Big name celebrities come together to... tell you not to vote.
  • Options
    strjms72 wrote: »
    I don't know if you see this :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UaRXvRwhOk
    Don't Vote. Big name celebrities come together to... tell you not to vote.
    F-ck celebs.