Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

McCain vs Obama

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Looks like Obama's now got enough delegates so it's him vs McCain.

Both parties seem to have gone for the more left of the candidates, which is interesting and I'm not sure how much the democratic fuck up in Florida will piss Democrats of in that state and make them vote for McCain. Also whilst the racism of Americans can be overstated (imo it's less so than many European states) it could still swing enough voters against Obama to give McCain an edge in a close race.

That said will McCain's age also be a factor, and will he struggle to get the right-wing of the Republican movement out to vote. and whilst he's not that close to Bush and the war is not a big a factor as it was a few years ago, will he be tarred with the same brush?

So any early predictions?

Comments

• Options
    The republicans are going to get smashed so bad for those 8 years with Bush.
  • Options
    I see the gains mccain makes (that were stated above) been wiped out by the anti bush/republican vote.
  • Options
    Could depend on how much Clinton can persuade her backers to vote for Obama, or if she'll even do that at all given how bitter the campaign was. Obama needs her and her supporters on side now, and if he manages that he could be too tough a cookie for McCann.
  • Options
    I'm personally hoping that John McCain wins. However, since the election isn't due for another five months, it's impossible to say what way things will go.
  • Options
    Barack Obama for 4tw
  • Options
    I'd say its even money at the moment even though on polling data it seems that McCain does have a lead.

The race factor is certainly going play a part in certain areas, as is McCains age.

McCain is also known for saying stupid things, a while ago he said that the economy doesnt interest him - given most voters think its the single most important issue he cant go around saying things like that.

I hope Obama romps home with a big win, not really because I'm a massive supporter of him but I think it would be good for the country and for the image of America abroad.
  • Options
    Will they be using the same voting machines as in the last election? If so, it'll be a McCain victory regardless of anything ;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Will they be using the same voting machines as in the last election? If so, it'll be a McCain victory regardless of anything ;)

As depressing as it is, Bush actually won the last election pretty much fairly.

It will be interesting to find out how close McCain gets to Bush during the run off. He knows Bush is hated and he must hate Bush himself, his lies about him cost him the nomination in 2000.
  • Options
    It is widely believed that Bush won (and he won by a whisker) thanks to the support of the religious right, who came out en masse to vote for him.

McCain has already been criticised by the religious lobby for being too moderate. It'll be interesting to see whether he sticks to his principles or starts singing to their tune in order to secure their votes.
  • Options
    McCain has already been criticised by the religious lobby for being too moderate. It'll be interesting to see whether he sticks to his principles or starts singing to their tune in order to secure their votes.

He may well say a few things to appease them, but I very much doubt he will change his tune too much. He doesnt need to, they certainly wont vote for the Democrat and like Tories here they are more likely to vote.

And talking of trying to get the religious vote, Obama gave a speach only a couple of days ago talking about how great Israel is.

Dont expect American politics to change all that drastically.
  • Options
    McCain is a rubbish orator, and i'd be surprised if Americans vote for a guy who is so close to Bush on foreign policy when they have the option of something different. I think the majority of them want a different approach. They want free healthcare and protectionism too.

McCain will also lose some support within his own party for his wee swing to the left.
  • Options
    Obama - 4 years in national politics, 1 term in the Senate.
    McCain - decorated military veteran, long service in the armed forces, 20+ years experience in national politics.

Reading stuff like this and knowing the Democrat's penchant for isolationism (Obama like Hillary is protectionist) I'd imagine senior Labour/Tory figures will be wanting a McCain win. If considering Britain's interests and issues of intl security, I very much hope McCain wins. Although, if I was an American - and voting solely on domestic issues I'd go for Obama.

It's too early to call as it really could go either way. McCain (like Clinton) has been around so long, any dirt is almost certainly already out in the open... With Obama I don't think anybody is quite as sure. It'll be a very interesting election... whether it's McCain or Obama though, either will be a lot better than Bush.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    McCain is a rubbish orator, and i'd be surprised if Americans vote for a guy who is so close to Bush on foreign policy when they have the option of something different. I think the majority of them want a different approach. They want free healthcare and protectionism too.

McCain will also lose some support within his own party for his wee swing to the left.

He's a lot better at giving speaches than Bush, and he was voted (sort of) in twice.

As for this magical dream of 'free healthcare' - dont count on it, Hilarys plan is fantastically complex and may well cost more than the current arrangement.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »

McCain losing some votes in the South or Midwest from the religious right isn't a big deal... A lot of the votes McCain risks losing are in solidly Republican states anyway. A low turn-out amongst Republicans in Texas - is never going to be enough to give Obama a win in Texas, and so McCain will still get the electoral college votes...

On the other hand, McCain being a moderate and pragmatic Republican with respect amongst independents and conservative Democrats, has a very good chance in swing states...
  • Options
    Is there actually that much difference in policy between the two? Both are a departure from Bush as Dis points out, which is extremely welcome news, but at the end of the day I wonder what difference it might make to the average American. I don't think Obama is planning to raise taxes or to improve welfare and healthcare much, is he?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    He's a lot better at giving speaches than Bush, and he was voted (sort of) in twice.

As for this magical dream of 'free healthcare' - dont count on it, Hilarys plan is fantastically complex and may well cost more than the current arrangement.

Which is fantastically complex and expensive already. I think the US Govt spends more on healthcare per capita than the UK, but covers less people
  • Options
    Is there actually that much difference in policy between the two? Both are a departure from Bush as Dis points out, which is extremely welcome news, but at the end of the day I wonder what difference it might make to the average American. I don't think Obama is planning to raise taxes or to improve welfare and healthcare much, is he?

It's worth remembering that Congress in the US is very powerful on issues of welfare/health/tax/etc. The president can set the agenda but needs to work with Congress - and it's quite conceivable that there could be divided government (e.g. McCain in the White House and the Democrats controlling the House and the Senate). Although, if Obama gets the presidency and the Democrats keep Congress then - I'm sure an Obama victory could make a big difference to the average American..... but Americans (perhaps being hostile of a powerful federal government) seem to like voting for divided govts, voting split-ticket, e.g. McCain for pres, and Dem for Senate.
  • Options

They'll still vote for him regardless, you really think the religious right are going to come out and vote for a black liberal? ;)
  • Options
    It's worth remembering that Congress in the US is very powerful on issues of welfare/health/tax/etc. The president can set the agenda but needs to work with Congress - and it's quite conceivable that there could be divided government (e.g. McCain in the White House and the Democrats controlling the House and the Senate). Although, if Obama gets the presidency and the Democrats keep Congress then - I'm sure an Obama victory could make a big difference to the average American..... but Americans (perhaps being hostile of a powerful federal government) seem to like voting for divided govts, voting split-ticket, e.g. McCain for pres, and Dem for Senate.

It's changing though all the time. Have you read Arthur Shlesinger's- Imperial Presidency? The President has been taking power from Congress on domestic and foreign policy since FDR, sometimes even willingly by Congress.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    They'll still vote for him regardless, you really think the religious right are going to come out and vote for a black liberal? ;)
    Not really, no :D
  • Options
    Which is fantastically complex and expensive already. I think the US Govt spends more on healthcare per capita than the UK, but covers less people

I dont know about the government, but Americans personally spend a massive amount more on healthcare than we do, and millions are without any cover at all.

The only way I could see a NHS working there is on a state basis, with richer states giving some money to the poorer ones to level out the coverage.
  • Options

He may well try and run with Hilarys idea of universal healthcare.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    It's changing though all the time. Have you read Arthur Shlesinger's- Imperial Presidency? The President has been taking power from Congress on domestic and foreign policy since FDR, sometimes even willingly by Congress.

It was on my reading list but no :p wikipedia'd it though and yes... good point, esp true in foreign policy: despite the constitutional requirement Congress hasn't formally declared war since WWII!
  • Options
    I think Obama will be an inspiration.
  • Options
    “Barack doesn't have a clue what really is going on in Iraq. And Obama will eat some humble military pie if he goes there.” - Chuck Norris

:yeees:

http://www.creators.com/opinion/chuck-norris/3-surprises-awaiting-obama-in-iraq.html
  • Options
    Bring Hilary on board for health reform
    Softly mention New Orleans as much as possible
    Stress the torture problems around the American involvement in Iraq and the war on terror to put McCain in a difficult position
    Push back as hard and as agressively against any negative campaigning produced by the Republican

and I reckon you could have a Democrat president.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Bring Hilary on board for health reform
    Softly mention New Orleans as much as possible
    Stress the torture problems around the American involvement in Iraq and the war on terror to put McCain in a difficult position
    Push back as hard and as agressively against any negative campaigning produced by the Republican

and I reckon you could have a Democrat president.

I wouldn't mention New Orleans too much - questions might also be asked about the Democrat Mayor and Governor and their failings.

I'd also not mention torture - McCain has come out strongly against it. Also given how badly he himself was tortured by the North Vietnamese it'll act as a reminder to the electorate that he's a pretty tough cookie, with real experience of the sharp end.

I'd also say that if history is any judge the negative campaigning will come as much from the Democrats as the Republicans

If Obama wants to win he needs to concentrate on the economy and show himself as a new face, not a Washington insider. And distance himself from the Clintons - Democrats love her, but she won't pull in any disillusioned Republicans or independents, she's too decisive.
  • Options
    Also whilst the racism of Americans can be overstated (imo it's less so than many European states)
    You know, I had a conversation with a french man the other time at a café, he was reading the paper and commented, with a gesture of utter disdain on his face "Ah, Obama doesn't stand a chance, the Americans aren't ready for a black president", to which I couldn't resist asking, in turn, "Er, and do you think France is ready?" He was utterly shocked, it was obvious he had never even thought about that possibility before.

Talk about not seeing the beam in your own eye and all that.
  • Options
    Obama Bush and Cheney all related........................:banghead: :crazyeyes
    http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/2007/10/obama_bush_and_cheney_cousins/
  • Options
    I want to share this poll video that I saw in pollcalsh, that they compare the two video’s that is related to each other...One I saw there is a video between Hillary and Richard Nixon, talking about a war in Iraq, and I saw the comments there that who is more credible between the two then. Try to check out and see for your self…
    http://pollclash.com